Iowa Post Game Thread

KDB

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

yes

I'm still in the first.  The charge called on him was criminal  at 330.  He saves a ball to Kopp, great play.  At 3 huge block.  On the offensive end, blocks out McCaffrey draws the foul and misses the front end of one and one.  And then the weakest technical foul since Xavier occurs.  

All in all, Geronimo in the first half may have been in the game during an 11 0 run but was not bad at all. 

He didn't see the ball to help break the press around 230, huge block at 2.  

Then he does make the bone head move of touching the rim and Trayce yells Geronimo fudge clear as day lol.  But they count the basket.  

And also tips one in with about 30 seconds to go.  All in all actually a pretty great half from a guy we don't trust.  

I'll watch the 2nd half when I get back from the y

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Only dressed 10 scholarship players and the Henderson injury we weren't able to feel that loss.  I didn't say they had more success but they did finish second in the big ten and to me had more talent.

I was brain dead 91-92 was the team with 10 scholarship players dressing

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm still in the first.  The charge called on him was criminal  at 330.  He saves a ball to Kopp, great play.  At 3 huge block.  On the offensive end, blocks out McCaffrey draws the foul and misses the front end of one and one.  And then the weakest technical foul since Xavier occurs.  

All in all, Geronimo in the first half may have been in the game during an 11 0 run but was not bad at all. 

He didn't see the ball to help break the press around 230, huge block at 2.  

Then he does make the bone head move of touching the rim and Trayce yells Geronimo fudge clear as day lol.  But they count the basket.  

I concur. I was intrigued at half time. He shit the bed in the 2nd half, bad. Man.. he's lost defensively... and there's only certain things he is able to give you offensively. I don't have access to the full game.. I'm using MatthewLovesBall on Youtube. Can't remember the charge. 

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Only dressed 10 scholarship players and the Henderson injury we weren't able to feel that loss.  I didn't say they had more success but they did finish second in the big ten and to me had more talent.

More talent doesnt mean 'better team'.  

And, you cant look at the individual pieces and say, for example, Cheaney was on both teams.  

Senior Calbert was better than Junior Calbert.

Senior G. Graham was much better than Junior G. Graham.

Bailey, Henderson, Nover, Reynolds, etc. were all better in '93.

Evans wasn't on the team you reference.

All of that adds up to '92-'93 being a much better TEAM than '91-'92, regardless of the fact Anderson and Meeks were not.

Edited by 5fouls

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I concur. I was intrigued at half time. He shit the bed in the 2nd half, bad. Man.. he's lost defensively... and there's only certain things he is able to give you offensively. I don't have access to the full game.. I'm using MatthewLovesBall on Youtube. Can't remember the charge. 

I think he was in the lane and when he turned to face the basket he cleared some space and they called him for a questionable charge

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think he was in the lane and when he turned to face the basket he cleared some space and they called him for a questionable charge

That was a BS call. He didn't extend at all. He can create space like that... I remember that exact play. The Iowa kid guarding him was a b**** and flopped and then the whole Iowa bench was in the officials ear clamoring for a call. @NotIThatLives

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It was a nice little move about 12 feet out, he slightly nudges the guy off with a forearm but it wasn't bad at all.  Nothing like Perkins clearly elbowing JHS in the face.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm watching on the Foxsports app with my log in.  On demand replay available on foxsports2

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

So far, Geronimo has done nothing  wrong on wither side besides missing free throws, which is an entire team problem as well.   

We had 7 possessions on offense torched because of him. He had two turnovers, and then there were three more that he should have been ready to receive the ball and looked like a kindergartner picking flowers at a little league game, completely unaware. Things move so fast in college ball that the passers expect a guy to be ready to receive a pass, not jogging to a spot in their own little world. You think those 7 trips he nuked may have made a difference in the game? Plus the defense awfulness he displayed that @btownqbbroke down.

All issues aside, Geronimo cost us what would have been a win of around 10 points last night. Hope the kid feels like he let his team down last night and looks inward about what he needs to fix moving forward. He certainly has the potential and athleticism to be a player for us.  

3 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

I'm sorry, but this is not a good take. You can't just discount injuries when we've lost (1) our senior starting PG who was honorable mention B10 last year and arguably the best PG in the league this year, (2) our 5 star freshman for some games, which was after XJ got injured, forcing TG to play point, (3) a clearly lingering back injury for our big man who is an AA candidate, and (4) another senior starter and leader last night, who also could be lost for the year. In addition, Trey has been out a few games and there have been other nicks and whatnot.

TJD played 38 minutes last night, tops on the team, and was grabbing at his back for most of the night. This team has played, what, a handful of games at full strength? And yeah, it's silly to expect to get through the season with no serious injuries, but there are very few teams in the country that are going to absorb injury losses like this and still be successful. 

Making any sort of definitive conclusion on "intestinal fortitude" or whatever term you'd like to use on a team losing this much to injury is kind of ridiculous. There has been very little opportunity in game play to gel as a unit, to come up with a consistent rotation, and it's clearly taking a toll, not just physically, but mentally. Watching two senior leaders literally get carried off the court while the third is clearly struggling physically on the court tends to do that.

If you're grading this team, I don't think you can give anything other than Incomplete.

100%. I thought we showed a lot of intestinal fortitude. Nothing about the loss last night was about a lack of effort or want to. Lots of issues to break down that could have changed the outcome, but it wasn't intestinal fortitude. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Nothing about the loss last night was about a lack of effort or want to. 

Not sure about that. Whether it was a lack of fundamentals or effort, the defensive rebounding was embarrassing. Time after time, IA players, especially Rebraca, were getting uncontested offensive rebounds with the IU players behind them. There were no blockout attempts. IA players were running uncontested to the offensive glass. 

Also, I didn't see one charge taken on all of IA's drives to the basket

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Not sure about that. Whether it was a lack of fundamentals or effort, the defensive rebounding was embarrassing. Time after time, IA players, especially Rebraca, were getting uncontested offensive rebounds with the IU players behind them. There were no blockout attempts. IA players were running uncontested to the offensive glass. 

Also, I didn't see one charge taken on all of IA's drives to the basket

Defense and rebounding are all about effort, grit, intensity, determination. And Iowa was getting to the rim and hauling down offensive boards seemingly at will once they comeback started.

That said, my OP that introduced the intestinal fortitude term was not specifically directed at this game, but what it takes to be a top-10 team given the challenges of being the identified favorite or frontrunner. I clarified in a subsequent post. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I am old enough to remember all IU teams from '75 forward.  

In my opinion, the '92-'93 team was the best.  

That’s my IU history as well. Started with that ‘75 team, though I was only 7 years old at the time. Still wouldn’t miss a game. Also when they finally lost I was like, “Wait, what? We don’t lose. How did that happen.”

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

We had 7 possessions on offense torched because of him. He had two turnovers, and then there were three more that he should have been ready to receive the ball and looked like a kindergartner picking flowers at a little league game, completely unaware. Things move so fast in college ball that the passers expect a guy to be ready to receive a pass, not jogging to a spot in their own little world. You think those 7 trips he nuked may have made a difference in the game? Plus the defense awfulness he displayed that @btownqbbroke down.

All issues aside, Geronimo cost us what would have been a win of around 10 points last night. Hope the kid feels like he let his team down last night and looks inward about what he needs to fix moving forward. He certainly has the potential and athleticism to be a player for us.  

100%. I thought we showed a lot of intestinal fortitude. Nothing about the loss last night was about a lack of effort or want to. Lots of issues to break down that could have changed the outcome, but it wasn't intestinal fortitude. 

I'm just getting  into the 2nd half.  Those first three defensive let downs were bad, the worst being at 16 min, he has no clue where Murray is.  

Can you admit he was actually pretty good in the first half though or just letting the emotions cloud that?

Edit, word usage,  no sense in stooping low.  

Edited by NotIThatLives

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm just getting  into the 2nd half.  Those first three defensive let downs were bad, the worst being at 16 min, he has no clue where Murray is.  

Can you admit he was actually pretty good in the first half though or just letting the anger cloud that?

No, I can’t. The offensive issues I outline were in the first half. That’s not even touching on the goaltend that wasn’t, which was an awful play on his part regardless of what the call ended up being.

I was PMing another member with much more colorful language about how bad he was in the first half, when we still had the lead. This isn’t me being angry after the fact, I noticed it at the time. 

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

No, I can’t. The offensive issues I outline were in the first half. That’s not even touching on the goaltend that wasn’t, which was an awful play on his part regardless of what the call ended up being.

I was PMing another member with much more colorful language about how bad he was in the first half, when we still had the lead. This isn’t me being angry after the fact, I noticed it at the time. 

OK.  He had 2 bad plays in the first half, one was waived off.  To each his own.  I don't really care.  

• Like 1