Iowa Post Game Thread

KDB

1 hour ago, Madison22 said:

“Indiana didn’t know what to do against the zone. Their coaching staff had no idea. It’s like they’d never seen a zone before” – Connor McCaffery on how Iowa got back in the game.

Painful to say, but true. IU went up 28-7 at the 13:32 mark of the first half. Iowa went to zone and we never really attacked it. Yes, we scored 61 more, but the zone caused us to have scoring droughts that allowed them to cut the 21 point lead to 10 at the half (giving them momentum and waking up the crowd), and then cutting the 10 point lead to a deficit. 

The offense against the zone was passing the ball around the perimeter and then trying to lob over the defense to TJD. There was no cutting against the zone or flashing to the high post. On the couple occasions where a player flashed to the foul line, they didn't look to shoot or pass inside. The scoring against the zone was primarily individual effort by TJD or JHS shooting over the zone (but usually off the dribble, not a kickout). 

Defensively, I don't have a clue what we were trying to do. As Raftery said, IA was just driving the lane at will to the basket. This has been a problem all season (UNC being the exception). I can't believe how many times we gave them a clear path, without anyone rotating over. Don't know when I've seen so many drives without a charge call or even a close block/charge call. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In the '88 Big Ten season, I remember that Iowa did something at some point during the season to piss Coach Knight off.  They beat us by 14 in the first game of the conference slate.

We did not play them again until the last game of the season.  Iowa was a run and gun team that season. 

Knight, being pissed off at Iowa, and probably still steaming from losing to them earlier in the year, wanted to prove a point and devised a game plan that hung 116 on the Hawkeyes in a 27 point blowout.  It was an offensive clinic.

I hope this years coaches and players take some of that attitude into this season's rematch on 2/28.

My first ever game at Assembly Hall was that one. Senior Day and we absolutely ran them out of the gym. One other thing that stuck out to me....was unseasonably warm that day. Wearing shorts to a basketball game seemed odd to me being from Northern Illinois. 

I just hope our players remember Iowa as well....of course if we can't get or stay healthy not sure it's going to matter much. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Painful to say, but true. IU went up 28-7 at the 13:32 mark of the first half. Iowa went to zone and we never really attacked it. Yes, we scored 61 more, but the zone caused us to have scoring droughts that allowed them to cut the 21 point lead to 10 at the half (giving them momentum and waking up the crowd), and then cutting the 10 point lead to a deficit. 

The offense against the zone was passing the ball around the perimeter and then trying to lob over the defense to TJD. There was no cutting against the zone or flashing to the high post. On the couple occasions where a player flashed to the foul line, they didn't look to shoot or pass inside. The scoring against the zone was primarily individual effort by TJD or JHS shooting over the zone (but usually off the dribble, not a kickout). 

Defensively, I don't have a clue what we were trying to do. As Raftery said, IA was just driving the lane at will to the basket. This has been a problem all season (UNC being the exception). I can't believe how many times we gave them a clear path, without anyone rotating over. Don't know when I've seen so many drives without a charge call or even a close block/charge call. 

Yep.  My wife played soccer and she always mentions how we don't move the ball fast and don't move without the ball.  It's maddening.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Sorry man. That would have been a tough one to see in person. 

It was as i slowly watched the momentum change and the refs screw us over and over and over.

But the one thing i will say.  Watching JSH in person, we had great seats (15th row), he looks like an NBA player with how he moves and holds himself.  Can't wait for him to blow up

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I can’t imagine either Race or XJ will be back until late February - absolute best case scenario. How are we going to adapt?

Our starting line-up has to be:
JHS
Bates
Gallo
Kopp
TJD

Geronimo is only going to be able to play decent stretches when the match-ups are right.

We need to hope and pray that Malik learns to play with in the offense instead of becoming a black hole. 

Because our depth is now so thin, do we looking at showing a zone? Just to give a different look and stop scoring runs that will inevitably happen?

.500 in conference will be quite a feat. 

Man, it seems like just yesterday when most of us were crowing about our depth this year. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Look, JG tries, but he can’t guard top flight wings. BUT Woody should never let this -18 number happen in a game that we only lose by 2. It’s completely unacceptable.

And before anybody asks, who are we supposed to put on Murray? I’m going to preemptively answer: anybody at that point. When TJD was switched on to Murray, he played better. Kopp played him better because he tried his hardest not to let him touch the ball. Galloway could at least chase him around screens. I realize we can only slow Kris Murray down with our personnel, but we can’t keep letting him get so open. When Geronimo is looking that lost he has to be taken out of the game. 

Race had a +16 and Geronimo a -18 and that is your 2 point loss. I know it isn't that easy but if Race hadn't gotten hurt this was a win

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Personally, I think Connor just said that to be an ass, which seems on par for him. Then again, Fran's teams aren't exactly known to play defense, so I guess giving up 61 more and 89 total is a positive for them. For whatever reason, we don't seem to have anyone that can flash to the FT line against a zone, where Iowa was giving up significant space. TJD tried it once, but he doesn't have the mid range to draw out the defenders, JG was there a bit, but his basketball IQ is off the charts low, and after that, we seemed to just stop trying to attack that way. I would have thought pulling Kopp in there to knock down a couple of open shots from 15 would have helped and then you open things up for TJD more, but maybe that's just not his strength.

I mean, we learned how to break a 1-2-1-1 press and a 2-3 zone in middle school hoops. I could understand getting stymied by Syracuse's 2-3, but Iowa? 

• Like 1

I am still numb from this game last night and how we frittered it away. We can talk about all the variables that went into losing, but the bottom line is that we shot as well as we absolutely could from the field imo, yet still lost the game. 

For the life of me, I cannot comprehend the fact that we continue to be a poor free throw shooting team. Yes, there was a disparity in foul calls. But Iowa made theirs. We didn't. Cost us the game.

I am also not impressed with CMW "sticking up for his team" in the post-game presser. His comments should have been made on the floor. Face-to-face with the refs. He played under probably the best intimidator of refs in the history of college basketball, and has seen first hand the impact that had on games. After the fact comments do nothing to help his team. 

Going to be a long season if the injuries are as bad as suspected. My hope is that if Race is done, and X out for an extended period, that the remaining players step up and seize the opportunity in front of them

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

What do we do for backcourt subs?

Who in that lineup guards Robbie Beran?

...and that's why we are in trouble. Malik might be getting a program record for fouls and TO's per minute and JG just processes stuff too slow. I'd like to see Logan, but if he can't make an appearance yesterday against Iowa, I'm not sure we'll be seeing him too much in the near future. 

Other teams manage with only one big. 

also why I asked about the zone. 

Just now, tdhoosier said:

...and that's why we are in trouble. Malik might be getting a program record for fouls and TO's per minute and JG just processes stuff too slow. I'd like to see Logan, but if he can't make an appearance yesterday against Iowa, I'm not sure we'll be seeing him too much in the near future. 

Other teams manage with only one big. 

also why I asked about the zone. 

I think we have to balance between the frontcourt and the backcourt...As I said in the NW pre-game, we have to use Malik and/or Logan or their size will kill us. And although when Geronimo was having a hard time, I kept thinking "Banks/Duncomb/Reneau can't be worse that this" but it is on the road in a tough environment...I think it'll be a different story at home with a crowd behind them...

Not sure Coach Woodson would ever consider a zone...He's a Knight disciple and I think RMK played them very few times in his 29 years, but I don't think Woody would ever even consider making it his base defense for a game or a stretch of games...

10 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I am still numb from this game last night and how we frittered it away. We can talk about all the variables that went into losing, but the bottom line is that we shot as well as we absolutely could from the field imo, yet still lost the game. 

For the life of me, I cannot comprehend the fact that we continue to be a poor free throw shooting team. Yes, there was a disparity in foul calls. But Iowa made theirs. We didn't. Cost us the game.

I am also not impressed with CMW "sticking up for his team" in the post-game presser. His comments should have been made on the floor. Face-to-face with the refs. He played under probably the best intimidator of refs in the history of college basketball, and has seen first hand the impact that had on games. After the fact comments do nothing to help his team. 

Going to be a long season if the injuries are as bad as suspected. My hope is that if Race is done, and X out for an extended period, that the remaining players step up and seize the opportunity in front of them

To be fair, Woodson had a pretty animated conversation with an official after they opted to not call the T on Fran. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not sure Coach Woodson would ever consider a zone...He's a Knight disciple and I think RMK played them very few times in his 29 years, but I don't think Woody would ever even consider making it his base defense for a game or a stretch of games...

Agree. That said, I was thinking just to use for a few minutes for a different look to potentially stop runs.