Northwestern Post Game Thread

KDB

Just now, D-BONE said:

Defense has been poor no doubt. But you also need to involve more people in the offense build their confidence, etc. It's not as simple as D wins championships anymore. Opponents have players - including bench guys - and schemes that can score the ball. You have to be able to put points on the board, including off your bench.

We've scored 89 and 83 the last 2 games.  Literally the only game we didn't score enough to win was Kansas with 62.  

I'll check the adjusted d efficiency in the morning once it recalcutes but it's tumbling and is the reason, along with turnovers for losing this one.  Bates, Galloway,  and Reneau were all within one or two points of double figures.  Scoring was not the problem.   

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, D-BONE said:

I love everything after your first two sentences. They need to get their shit in gear. 

Are people not able to follow my arguments? I am saying if we are as good as our early season rankings we should be able to win a few of these recent games despite the impact of injury.

If not we should have been pre/early-season rated more like 20 to 25, which I said was probably more realistic given - IMO - we hand't shown the ability to sustain top-10/upper B1G all season with the favorite tag, which itself brings major added pressure and challenge.

So if the initial ranking were appropriate, I would expect we could overcome some of this.

I would  say any big ten team would struggle losing two starters. 

If you told me we would score 83 against NW I would say we would  win by at least 15. We score 89 and 83 and lose both games and that is unacceptable. 

Probably another lost season but I  am not going to fret over it because there are more important things to worry about

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

We've scored 89 and 83 the last 2 games.  Literally the only game we didn't score enough to win was Kansas with 62.  

I'll check the adjusted d efficiency in the morning once it recalcutes but it's tumbling and is the reason, along with turnovers for losing this one.  Bates, Galloway,  and Reneau were all within one or two points of double figures.  Scoring was not the problem.   

I think we are as or more talented offensively than NW. We don't and haven't developed players to play in a modern offense.

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Scored 48;@ Rutgers

• Like 1

You all can keep talking about our injuries. Yes, I fully recognize the massive challenges that presents. But I want to see us compete in B1G, the tourney, and make the NCAA. I get we're not as good without X/Race, but I'd prefer no excuses and man up and find a way to overcome advesity.

• Like 1

I don’t understand why guys on other teams are able to drive on IU practically at will, and we can’t seem to stop it. It seems like Hoiberg exposed IU for the inability to stop the drive last year, and it looks like we have not improved. Buie tore us up on the drives today. I don’t understand why the other teams sometimes get wide-open 3’s at points during games, and it looks like a turkey shoot. I’m not a defensive expert, but it seems like there would  be some kind of adjustment. Honestly thought the zone was a decent adjustment. Coaching seat warming up. I hate that.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, southsidehoosier said:

That’ll teach everyone not rank us preseason 

Maybe it'll teach the players to keep their mouths shut about winning a Big Ten Title and NC. Do it with actions, not words.

I'm giving Woody 1 more year to prove he's the guy. Next year, the vast majority of the team will be his. So we'll see how good he really is.

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If ever really bored go back and check some of the preseason threads.....there were a few. 

If I remember correctly, some of that debate was due to Woodson’s comment about favoring upper classmen.

Jalen has stood out to me since his arrival, on a level untouchable by the rest of the IU guards. As in, their ceiling is not even remotely close as to where this kid is now. Not to mention his future potential.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I know I have been harping on the officiating. It's been terrible all year. We were careless with ball and probably didn't deserve to win but we have a negative home court advantage at this point. Why can't TJD get obvious fouls called on him? Yes, there were some call that went our way. There were 2 called on us where there was absolutely no contact. Officiating was a factor today. 

Not even just how bad some of the calls were, but one half neither team wasin the bonus and the other they both wereby the 14 minute mark. That type of swing within a game sucks for both teams. 

So frustrating to think that for how bad they’ve played the last 2 games, they were still so winnable. Limit a couple insanely stupid turnovers, make a couple free throws and you walk away 2-0 and feeling fine. Those issues don’t have anything to do with Race and X being out.

This team still has the talent to be good but we need to get back on track with our defense. This team is totally different when they can cause turnovers and get easy buckets in transition (ex- UNC game). 

Not sure why Banks didn’t see the floor given how poorly Reneau and Geronimo played. Feels like he couldn’t pick up worse fouls than them, probably shoots better from the perimeter, is faster/athletic, and can beat players off the dribble better. 

23 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Damn it, we had plans today and I was really hoping to watch the game when we got back. I checked the score early and saw we had a crappy start. 

Looks like another season of mediocrity. Yay!

No worries...the Boilers will be on in a bit so you can watch some good basketball.  lol

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, D-BONE said:

I refuse to buy that this roster is too poor (whether defensively, offensively, or both) to pull out at least one or more of the three B1G losses (yes, despite the injuries). CMW needs to get this remedied pronto.

Good point….talent is not the issue. We’re probably the only team in the B10 with four 5-star players (TJD, Bates, JHS, MR) on their roster. Heck, most teams in the nation don’t have that much talent. We just haven’t put it together yet for whatever reason. It looks like the B10 championship is fading fast, but we still have the BTT and the NCAAs to redeem ourselves. Here’s hoping XJ and Trace can make it back for both. 

• Like 2