Northwestern Post Game Thread

KDB

16 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Maybe the importance of Matta and Fife on the staff in terms of motivating, accountability & multiple teaching basketball minds, has been overlooked.

Calbert was massively important for Tom Crean at Indiana is an example.

It's possible, seems hard to conclude on anything though with all of the injury issues we've had. We are 2-0 in the big games we've had a full strength. On the other hand, Dane Fife hasn't lost a game all year. 

Maybe we miss Rob Phinisee or Parker Stewart? 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It's possible, seems hard to conclude on anything though with all of the injury issues we've had. We are 2-0 in the big games we've had a full strength. On the other hand, Dane Fife hasn't lost a game all year. 

Maybe we miss Rob Phinisee or Parker Stewart? 

We definitely miss a Rob Phinisee type coming off the bench.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

This is just one of a few...Trayce leaves his guy to guard Audige (with Galloway) leaving Verhoven to cut inside for a dunk...Maybe it was Reneau's responsibility to cover for Trayce, but he was going out to guard Barnhizer on the perimeter...

Anyway, you're right...Not good communication...

maybe i'm wrong, but it looked like to me when we would get doubled on the wing, the wing defender on the off side (in this case CJ) would go half-way between the outside players and the Reneau player would take the bucket. We must have thrown three or four passed right to the wing defender cross court. Don't know why we couldn't do that.

Something i would like to see.  And i don't care if every player on the court fouls out.  But i would love to see in your face aggressive defense from the moment we start play to the point we might not have a single player in the game.  And do this at home and let everyone know we're not going to take it any longer.  Coach Woodson better get Thrown out of the game for getting multiple Technical' s for Laying into the refs over and over for shit call.  Each of the Assistants better get at least 1 technical for laying into the refs for shit calls once Coach Woodson is gone.  Lay the Freaking wood to the team we play.  Not dirty.  Not Illegal.  Just Rough Rutgers/Wisconsin kind of play and let everyone know we're putting up with this crap any longer.  Then play like that every game.  If Coach Woodson needs to be ejected game after game for laying into the shit ass refs, then so be it.  

Ok rank over.  Go IU

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

JHS can score effortlessly, and he did it all day, and effortless is a good word for his effort. Might have been the worst 33 point game I can remember seeing from an IU player. 

I don't think there's any such thing in college basketball as a 33 point game with no effort given...

Come on man... 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't think there's any such thing in college basketball as a 33 point game with no effort given...

Come on man... 

If he was giving effort, he has bigger problems than if he wasn't.

Your contention is he isn't capable of playing passable defense, taking care of the ball, or even running back? Or did something besides lack of effort or lack of ability cause those issues that plagued him the entire game? 

• Like 1

Just now, KoB2011 said:

If he was giving effort, he has bigger problems than if he wasn't.

Your contention is he isn't capable of playing passable defense, taking care of the ball, or even running back? Or did something besides lack of effort or lack of ability cause those issues that plagued him the entire game? 

Oh, there were a couple of times I thought he could have put forth more effort... Once when Audige stripped him and he didn't sprint to contest the layup...

But I think that's the inexperience I talked about... He's use to player against 17-18 year old kids that are pretty good... He's learning to play against 22-23 year old men who already know the speed you have to play at all the time...

But your statement was his whole game lacked effort. My contention is that I don't think you can score 33 points against a good defensive team, without giving it a lot of effort...

Inconsistent effort? Yeah I agree with that... 

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

But I think that's the inexperience I talked about... He's use to player against 17-18 year old kids that are pretty good... He's learning to play against 22-23 year old men who already know the speed you have to play at all the time...

I dont think there should be anything to learn at this point.  College ball is not AAU ball should be understood well before midway through your freshman season.

I'm not going to criticize his effort because I watched the Bengals and missed the entire 2nd half. I have no idea whether he gave it or not.

But, I just dont think  'still learning' should be a valid excuse for lack of effort.  You compete hard or you dont.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Come on man... 

2nd best scoring performance as a freshman since Eric Gordon.

Someone had to step up and Jalen did just that. A freshman stepped up and not only schooled NW for 33 but also IU’s own upper classmen guards and wings that have yet to produce anything substantial in their 2-3 and 4 years at IU. Sorry folks but while X adds high energy and depth and boy does IU need both, he’s not even remotely close to the level of ability that Jalen is at. Jalens an NBA level talent.

In my opinion, given the circumstances, Jalen and Trace put the team on their back Sunday. Both of their turnovers are moot to me being the rest of their game has proved to be so valuable. Not saying Jalen can’t improve. He will. But you’re asking a lot from a freshman kid that doesn’t have a grand scheme of pieces around him. Miller Kopp whose whole offense is stand in a corner and hope his defender gets lost. Bates who does the same thing but to me has more unleashed potential and will try and create on occasion. On and on. Things I would have thought would have been addressed by now. At least a tiny noticeable bit.

IU has a freshman stud point guard that any team in the entire collegiate field would love to have and we are going to talk about 6 turnovers and lack of effort?

I’m more concerned about getting better pieces around him and making sure our 10m buyout pays off. Or even, if Jalen is one and done, who is going to replace him. If it’s Cupps, who’s the backup plan.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I dont think there should be anything to learn at this point.  College ball is not AAU ball should be understood well before midway through your freshman season.

I'm not going to criticize his effort because I watched the Bengals and missed the entire 2nd half. I have no idea whether he gave it or not.

But, I just dont think  'still learning' should be a valid excuse for lack of effort.  You compete hard or you dont.

Not sure one size fits all when learning anything... 

I think the most impressive improvement in Trayce's game is the effort he gives now, as opposed to when he was a freshman and sophomore...

Almost every interview I've heard Coach Woodson give this year he's talked about making them understand how hard you have to play... Sometimes it close clicks, sometimes it doesn't...

I'm thinking of Landon Turner the whole time I'm typing... 

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Something i would like to see.  And i don't care if every player on the court fouls out.  But i would love to see in your face aggressive defense from the moment we start play to the point we might have a single player in the game.  And do this at home and let everyone know we're not going to take it any longer.  Coach Woodson better get Thrown out of the game for getting multiple Technical' s for Laying into the refs over and over for shit call.  Each of the Assistants better get at least 1 technical for laying into the refs for shit calls once Coach Woodson is gone.  Lay the Freaking wood to the team we play.  Not dirty.  Not Illegal.  Just Rough Rutgers/Wisconsin kind of play and let everyone know we're putting up with this crap any longer.  Then play like that ever game.  If Coach Woodson needs to be ejected game after game for laying into the shit ass refs, then so be it.  

Ok rank over.  Go IU

Pretty much what we did against UNC but haven't seen it since

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

He was...but the other flaw I saw in his yesterday was something @EvilleHoosierpointed out...Over helping on defense...Nicholson had 4 FGs and I think 3 of the were dunks after Trayce left him to help on the perimeter...

I know Trayce was simply trying to hustle and show leadership, but we got burned a lot when we helped...And TJD even sauid in the post game that the communication wasn't there...

A lot of miscommunication still 15 games into the season. It won’t get fixed. As Kent Sterling said, we don’t have high basketball IQ guys. Add to it that we don’t have any fierce competitors…. we won’t win many games. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Inequality said:

Someone had to step up and Jalen did just that. A freshman stepped up and not only schooled NW for 33 but also IU’s own upper classmen guards and wings that have yet to produce anything substantial in their 2-3 and 4 years at IU. Sorry folks but while X adds high energy and depth and boy does IU need both, he’s not even remotely close to the level of ability that Jalen is at. Jalens an NBA level talent.

In my opinion, given the circumstances, Jalen and Trace put the team on their back Sunday. Both of their turnovers are moot to me being the rest of their game has proved to be so valuable. Not saying Jalen can’t improve. He will. But you’re asking a lot from a freshman kid that doesn’t have a grand scheme of pieces around him. Miller Kopp whose whole offense is stand in a corner and hope his defender gets lost. Bates who does the same thing but to me has more unleashed potential and will try and create on occasion. On and on. Things I would have thought would have been addressed by now. At least a tiny noticeable bit.

IU has a freshman stud point guard that any team in the entire collegiate field would love to have and we are going to talk about 6 turnovers and lack of effort?

I’m more concerned about getting better pieces around him and making sure our 10m buyout pays off. Or even, if Jalen is one and done, who is going to replace him. If it’s Cupps, who’s the backup plan.

Everything in you third paragraph is the coaching.  What we do offensively resembles an NBA team.  

1 hour ago, Inequality said:

I don't think there is one person on this board who doesn't realize how good JSH is or how important he is to this team right now.  Turnover happen.  But lazy turnovers are inexcusable.  So is not running back on defense, but guess what, he wasn't the only one.  Most of the team jogged their way back and let NW run wild. 

I also don't think 30 points a game is sustainable so i agree, the pieces around him need to step it up.  TG needs to be, well better all around.  Energy alone isn't cutting it.  Bates needs to score, and score in bunches while playing at least passable defense.  JG is unplayable at this time so work on him constantly in practice.  MR is a Ferdinand the bull, who doesn't understand he is a bull yet and plays like he is smaller than those around him.  Play BIG young man, show them what you can do.  I hope Gun, Banks and the other can get some minutes and help offset some of the points

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i don't know.  i struggle to say JHS is our problem.  that's just my opinion.  

I don’t know that anyone is saying he is our problem, or at least I wasn’t.

But he’s the only kid on this team I can say with any confidence is a first round draft pick and has a long term future in the NBA, so I think it’s fair to expect more out of him. Usually teams are elevated because a guy like JHS or TJD makes it happen, not because a guy like Geronimo does. We need JHS and TJD to put us on their back right now because no one else can. It’s not necessarily fair to those two guys, but it’s the reality of our situation IMO. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Everything in you third paragraph is the coaching.  What we do offensively resembles an NBA team.  

Surely not a good NBA team. Now they move the ball, not stand around. Now maybe 90s NBA. Woodson didn't get the memo that stuff's pre-historic at this point?

Edited by D-BONE
  • Like 1