Penn State Post Game Thread

KDB

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

You need to read post game threads where we lose...

10 days ago we were 10-3 and everything was hunky dory (nod to Bowie 🙂)...

Now Mike Woodson is lazy and has lost control of the team...

Come on, you’re not really being objective. You’re better than that. Some posts  are over the top, but in general, your take isn’t really accurate. Those three losses were bad. We scored 48 against Rutgers and were punked by them again. AZ and KS proved that this wasn’t really a top 10 team. All wasn’t hunky dory and there was a lot of concern about how this team had been exposed. This team’s best performance was against UNC. Except for brief stretches, they haven’t looked  good since then. 

It isn’t just the message boards. The announcers and studio people in the past several games have been stunned by how bad this team is defensively 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And that's fine... I've always said anyone can be criticized...

It's the BS criticism that gets me... 

How do you define 'BS Criticism'?

Is stating our defense has been unacceptable the last 3 games 'BS'?

Is questioning the substitution patterns when everyone is healthy 'BS'?

Is calling out players for not following the gameplan (TJD's words, not mine) 'BS'?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Come on, you’re not really being objective. You’re better than that. Some posts  are over the top, but in general, your take isn’t really accurate. Those three losses were bad. We scored 48 against Rutgers and were punked by them again. AZ and KS proved that this wasn’t really a top 10 team. All wasn’t hunky dory and there was a lot of concern about how this team had been exposed. This team’s best performance was against UNC. Except for brief stretches, they haven’t looked  good since then. 

It isn’t just the message boards. The announcers and studio people in the past several games have been stunned by how bad this team is defensively 

How am I not being objective? Rutgers is one of the top defensive teams in the country, and winning in their place is tough... Arizona and Kansas are 2 of the best teams in the country...

If people thought we'd be 13-0 at that point had unrealistic expectations. Now did we play well? We had moments vs Arizona... Against Kansas, we stunk it up...

But we've had stinkers in other years... They happen...

I've already expressed my thoughts on Iowa and Northwestern... If we'd been at full strength, I would have liked our chances...

You didn't proffer an opinion on Woody being lazy and losing the team...

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

How am I not being objective? Rutgers is one of the top defensive teams in the country, and winning in their place is tough... Arizona and Kansas are 2 of the best teams in the country...

If people thought we'd be 13-0 at that point had unrealistic expectations. Now did we play well? We had moments vs Arizona... Against Kansas, we stunk it up...

I've already expressed my thoughts on Iowa and Northwestern... If we'd been at full strength, I would have liked our chances...

I said that some comments were over the top. That’s what I meant. 

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Is calling out players for not following the gameplan (TJD's words, not mine) 'BS'?

Objectively?

Attempting to rewrite the Fife narrative.   "I don't believe the board narrative that was pushed out by the athletic department. "

Calling CMW lazy.

Saying CMW only listens to his friends, "the sleepy assistant."

What DD said must be true, CMW isn't coaching these guys.  

It must be true, CMW isn't recruiting.   

Those are the ones I've read today that I can remember off the top of my head.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Man I hope this joint doesn't turn into Peegs South or West. I love making this site part of the daily....but Lord gang. Step off the ledge.

Things will simmer down a little more tomorrow.   I spent the immediate 12 hours after the game reading and smh, about both the play, the coaching, and the posting.  By afternoon I decided to start chimming in some calming realities.   Such as we have quit recruiting high school seniors because the intention is to hit the portal and that high level guys reached out to the staff last year.  Now they better come and play some inspired ball or they will get beat by a bunch of butter churning, unathletic, unheralded dorks.  

Edited by NotIThatLives

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Those first three losses are worse than you’re making them seem. It wasn’t the fact that we lost, it’s how we lost. None of those games were particularly close, and we got dominated for long stretches in each of them.

But I do agree with parts of what you’re saying. With no injuries we probably have 2 more wins, and the season feels much different. It was still probably trending towards more of a upper middle of the pack in the big ten type of season and not big ten title contender, but that’s obviously much different than where we are now.

I honestly understand that expectations need adjusted after the injuries. But again, it’s not that we’re losing, it’s how we’re losing. Our defense looks abysmal, which it didn’t look great even before the injuries, and penn state just ran us off the court. I’m certainly not giving up on the season yet, but it doesn’t look to be trending in a good direction.

23 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Criticism based on 3rd hand stories... Unsubstantiated "laziness." Basically any made up or 3rd hand stuff... 

24 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think in game criticism is valid, especially when the coach says it in the presser. I also think evaluating our defense without factoring in the losses of Race and XJ isn't very objective.

25 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

When it's a guy who's played and coached basketball for 50 some years against anyone on this or any other forum? Absolutely...

27 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not at all... He didn't call out the coaching staff there...Y'all did that...

He can only play the players he has. He's trying his best to win games, but he can't go out there and play for them... 

42 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And that's fine... I've always said anyone can be criticized...

It's the BS criticism that gets me... 

maybe I’m a prisoner of the moment…maybe I had at least a little bit of expectation for this team…but honestly this has been a stretch of really really bad basketball for the last month. I hope woody has something up his sleeve…gotta right the ship soon or he will run out of time this year.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I said that some comments were over the top. That’s what I meant. 

And that's what I'm getting at. Well thought out VALID criticism is fine... No problem whatsoever with it...

But once the "fire xxxx" train gets started, here come the bullshitters... 

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

maybe I’m a prisoner of the moment…maybe I had at least a little bit of expectation for this team…but honestly this has been a stretch of really really bad basketball for the last month. I hope woody has something up his sleeve…gotta right the ship soon or he will run out of time this year.

I get it... I'm frustrated too...

I just don't give up very easily, and it seems some already have... 

8 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Those first three losses are worse than you’re making them seem. It wasn’t the fact that we lost, it’s how we lost. None of those games were particularly close, and we got dominated for long stretches in each of them.

We were down 1 against Rutgers with 10 minutes to go...

We'd fought back against Arizona and we're still charging when a God-awful missed goal tending wasn't called... They came down and hit a contested 3 and the rest is history...

Kansas, no excuses... Beaten like a borrowed mule...

Our defense is not as good as it was most of last year, that's very true...

But saying our injuries have nothing to do with at least some of our play, simply isn't true... 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Now Mike Woodson is lazy and has lost control of the team...

Lazy?  No.  As dialed in as you almost need to be at this level in college coaching?  Mixed messaging.  There have been questions about Woodson's commitment with regards to recruiting.  He went to a wedding or something on opening day of one of the recruiting periods.  I can't remember which guys but it came up this summer.

Bob Knight wasn't lazy but he did not put an emphasis on recruiting as much as he did when he was younger for a stretch in the 90's.  I am not that age yet but I have to imagine that at 60+ years old, going to kiss 16 and 17 year olds' butts is something that requires some extra motivation.

Edited by IUCrazy2

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Lazy?  No.  As dialed in as you almost need to be at this level in college coaching?  Mixed messaging.  There have been questions about Woodson's commitment with regards to recruiting.  He went to a wedding or something on opening day of one of the recruiting periods.  I can't remember which guys but it came up this summer.

Bob Knight wasn't lazy but he did not put an emphasis on recruiting as much as he did when he was younger for a stretch in the 90's.  I am not that age yet but I have to imagine that at 60+ years old, going to kiss 16 and 17 year olds' butts is something that requires some extra motivation.

He went to Florida on vacation. Then drove up to Montverde and did personal workout with Malik. 

• Like 2