Penn State Post Game Thread

KDB

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

When I first went to BTB I thought it was a good board but it went downhill fast. I first started going over there ba couple of years ago but didn't frequent it a lot. When this board went down last year I went over there and it was the time of Archie's firing. 

Everytime I questioned Chris and his sources he and some of the others got so defensive.

But you're still posting over there... Slumming? Kinda like Brad Pitt going to The Chicken Ranch? 😉

27 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Umm… no one has failed, yet. Why not let this play out before getting the pitchforks out?

Oh lord…I said he needs a fire under his butt to clean this up. I hope he is up to the task. I’ve stated what I was worried about given his age, success, money, status….I worried if he has the stamina and drive for the job…there is no doubt coaching is a young man’s job. Seen it across all levels all sports. There are some rare exceptions but we typically see the best out of a coach in their prime younger years….I hope coach has the energy and drive to put in the work that it will take to turn this around…this isn’t just about landing talent which he and his staff has done…it’s an issue that is now embedded in the culture of IU…and it isn’t good. I’m going to say it right now and I know there are exceptions and I know I will get push back but IU is full of prima Donnas…kids that are drawn here for the prime time lights and adoration and fame of playing at IU. There is a lot of heart, toughness, and selflessness at the University to the North and imo there is clear correlation to their rise to success and our fall based on the leadership and kids they have brought in. They have a chip on their shoulder where our guys worry about getting a chip in their nails.

• Like 5

Things that can easily change that could go a long way:

-stop sagging off perimeter threats when you have a capable, all American rim protector who is allowed to sit under the basket all day. 

-get Bates and Kopp designed looks on the offensive end (they are our worst defensive players, if they aren’t making an impact on offense, what’s the point of them being out there??).

-Stop allowing JHS to take long range pull-up jumpers immediately into a possession. It details the offense and prevents any sort of rhythm from being made. 

-Maybe apply a press here and there? All teams seem to speed us up but never the other way around. Might be nice since we’re always playing from behind lol. 

-increase the volume of 3’s. Anything greater than a 6 point deficit feels insurmountable when the game plan is to stuff it inside and have TJD try and chuck up a shot again 3 defenders. 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Do you think Kris Murray gets 31 on Race? 

I don't...

Do you think Buie gets 29 on XJ? 

I don't... 

I was being funny but if you want to be real, Buie only got 18 with our short team last year (so guarded by Leal and/or Galloway) and Murray had one big game and another that wasn't so great.

SO who knows.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

In the washwoman thread over at BtownBanners, it's supposedly Kopp saying it to Rosemond...I don't believe that for a minute...

What does that particular poster gain from making that story up?  Yes, that person is somewhat of a know it all, and may think he's more important than he is, but he's not a troll.  

To me, that does not seem to be a story someone would just make up.  

In my mind, the most logical reason for the depth of the drop-off is dysfunction, and something like that screams dysfunction.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

What does that particular poster gain from making that story up?  Yes, that person is somewhat of a know it all, and may think he's more important than he is, but he's not a troll.  

To me, that does not seem to be a story someone would just make up.  

In my mind, the most logical reason for the depth of the drop-off is dysfunction, and something like that screams dysfunction.

How do we know he was specifically saying it to Rosemond? Maybe another player was talking over Ya and Kopp was saying it to him?

That's the problem... Once there's blood in the water, it's no holds barred... Now, Coach Woodson is "lazy" and doesn't like to recruit according to that same "insider." None of the players, including TJD, XJ and Race listen to him and tune all of the coaches out, according to that same poster... I smell an agenda...

You guys can believe and spread all of the rumors you want... Me? No thanks... I've heard a lot of people say a lot of things, and I've probably heard more BS than truth in my life...

Mike Woodson came to IU to get us back to prominence..and I personally hope he does and shoves it up a bunch of people's keister... 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

How do we know he was specifically saying it to Rosemond? Maybe another player was talking over Ya and Kopp was saying it to him?

That's the problem... Once there's blood in the water, it's no holds barred... Now, Coach Woodson is "lazy" and doesn't like to recruit according to that same "insider." None of the players, including TJD, XJ and Race listen to him and tune all of the coaches out, according to that same poster... I smell an agenda...

You guys can believe and spread all of the rumors you want... Me? No thanks... I've heard a lot of people say a lot of things, and I've probably heard more BS than truth in my life...

Mike Woodson came to IU to get us back to prominence..and I personally hope he does and shoves it up a bunch of people's keister... 

Do you place 95+ percent of th he recent performance on the injuries?  A large percentage can be, but not all of it.  

There is dysfunction.  And, it is hurting the team.  We may still lose 2 of the 3 anyway (really no excuse to lose the 21 point lead at Iowa).  But a team without 'issues' would have looked a lot better while losing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My mom said, "Believe nothing you hear and only one half of what you see."

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I hope he does too. I have no clue about all the soap opera stuff. All I can tell is by watching the product on the floor…and it’s worse than anything Crean or Archie ran out there for the last 6-8 games or so. At least those teams while having major weaknesses (mostly lack of shooting) this team has a heart and brain issue. Archie got them playing together/single minded although it was poor schemes and lack of shooting that hurt them. This team has no direction and most importantly no discipline. I hope coach figures it out too! I don’t want to watch us lose. But given we have more talent on this team then we have ever had and we are playing worse than we’ve seen under anyone else…it’s concerning at least. Like I said we need a come to Jesus moment…maybe someone needs kicked off the team or some starters need to sit I don’t know…I don’t know where all this is stemming from…but coach needs to correct it..season is half over and if we don’t turn it around…we will be out of the tournament.

Edited by dgambill

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I hope he does too. I have no clue about all the soap opera stuff. All I can tell is by watching the product on the floor…and it’s worse than anything Crean or Archie ran out there for the last 6-8 games or so. At least those teams while having major weaknesses (mostly lack of shooting) this team has a heart and brain issue. Archie got them playing together/single minded although it was poor schemes and lack of shooting that hurt them. This team has no direction and most importantly no discipline. I hope coach figures it out too! I don’t want to watch us lose. But given we have more talent on this team then we have ever had and we are playing worse than we’ve seen under anyone else…it’s concerning at least. Like I said we need a come to Jesus moment…maybe someone needs kicked off the team or some starters need to sit I don’t know…I don’t know where all this is stemming from…but coach needs to correct it..season is half over and if we don’t turn it around…we will be out of the tournament.

I agree…we need a come to Jesus moment….but does anything suggest this team—or for that matter—this program will have one? We’ve been waiting for two decades for a come to Jesus moment. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Do you place 95+ percent of th he recent performance on the injuries?  A large percentage can be, but not all of it.  

There is dysfunction.  And, it is hurting the team.  We may still lose 2 of the 3 anyway (really no excuse to lose the 21 point lead at Iowa).  But a team without 'issues' would have looked a lot better while losing.

My crystal ball petered out years ago...

No one knows what happens if Race and XJ we're out there, but our chances at Iowa and against Northwestern would have been pretty good I think...

I just rewatched the Penn State game... We got to a certain point in the first half, down 7, and we panicked... We tried to make it up all at once... And we did lose focus on the defensive end...

And while our perimeter defense wasn't stellar, Penn State shot 60% from 3 for God's sake... That's hard without anybody guarding you at all...

Bad loss, but I didn't expect 32-0 like some seem to... 

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

"Seem to" is the operative phrase...Every loss is the end of the world to some on here...

Hurts their feelings ☹️

Don’t think people think it’s the end of the world…but this program at the moment is not where anyone expected it to be…and that’s got a lot of people, and rightfully so, concerned. IUBB fans  and alum know good basketball when they see it. Sadly, we’ve seen this movie play out many times…hopefully there is an alternate ending to this movie.

Edited by Hoosier987

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Crazy Tommy Lloyd goes to Arizona and turns them into a top 5 powerhouse in a year and yet we can’t even field a tournament capable team. The similarities of Nebraska football and Indiana basketball is striking. Crazy thing is we have a hot bed of talent to recruit from and they don’t…I’m not ready to say Woody is a bad hire but man we’ve made some bad decisions down the coaching road.

He was an embarrassing hire. Our own fanbase was disappointed. They had to throw in Fife and Matta to make it more palatable. 

The rest of CBB world was laughing at us. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Don’t think people think it’s the end of the world…but this program at the moment is not where anyone expected it to be…and that’s got a lot of people, and rightfully so, concerned. IUBB fans  and alum know good basketball when they see it. Sadly, we’ve seen this movie play out many times…hopefully there is an alternate ending to this movie.

You need to read post game threads where we lose...

10 days ago we were 10-3 and everything was hunky dory (nod to Bowie 🙂)...

Now Mike Woodson is lazy and has lost control of the team...