Penn State Post Game Thread

KDB

I'm as disappointed as any other fan (which is far less disappointed than I'm sure the players and coaches are) by the direction the season has taken and I have no idea if Woodson is "the answer" but all this talk about "he needs to go" and "fails to make adjustments" and "he is clueless" is nuts to me.

They had an extended period of time (cupcake games and lots of practices) to adjust to playing without X and they came out and we're utterly stomping Iowa after that. Then Race goes down and they fall apart etc. Was the expectation that we make a halftime adjustment and continue hold their best player in check and beat them by 40 after loosing the only guy who could keep him in check? Was the expectation that these teenager/20yo dudes don't get discouraged seeing their 2nd leader/senior/starter go down in less than a month knowing their goals for the season all but went down with them? Was the expectation that we make massive changes to the rotation, defense and offensive schemes to account for both Race and X being out in the few practices we've had since the Iowa game? I guess they should have figured it all out on the plane back from Iowa.

The whole "next man up" mantra is nice to hope for but sheesh.  At this point I'm just looking for them to improve with who they have left in the remaining games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

I'm as disappointed as any other fan (which is far less disappointed than I'm sure the players and coaches are) by the direction the season has taken and I have no idea if Woodson is "the answer" but all this talk about "he needs to go" and "fails to make adjustments" and "he is clueless" is nuts to me.

They had an extended period of time (cupcake games and lots of practices) to adjust to playing without X and they came out and we're utterly stomping Iowa after that. Then Race goes down and they fall apart etc. Was the expectation that we make a halftime adjustment and continue hold their best player in check and beat them by 40 after loosing the only guy who could keep him in check? Was the expectation that these teenager/20yo dudes don't get discouraged seeing their 2nd leader/senior/starter go down in less than a month knowing their goals for the season all but went down with them? Was the expectation that we make massive changes to the rotation, defense and offensive schemes to account for both Race and X being out in the few practices we've had since the Iowa game? I guess they should have figured it all out on the plane back from Iowa.

The whole "next man up" mantra is nice to hope for but sheesh.  At this point I'm just looking for them to improve with who they have left in the remaining games.

It's embarrassing.  Woodson isn't going anywhere and has forgotten more about basketball than anyone else on this board knows.  

• Like 2

Brian Evans is on JMV and ripping Woodson and the players. Said it didn't need to be a RMK guy but he thought if you hired a former IU guy then we would have seen some of RMK influence. Like sitting players if players aren't playing hard or aren't following the game plan. Remember in 85 when things went south that RMK benched all the starters except for Uwe at Illinois. 

He is really upset with how Woodson has handle his he press conference after games and thinking he is just setting the team up for failures.

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

It's embarrassing.  Woodson isn't going anywhere and has forgotten more about basketball than anyone else on this board knows.  

You’re probably right, but can we start seeing some of it? Again, I’m not championing him being fired. I don’t know what needs to be done, but he’s not coaching at a high level right now. There’s no way. If he is, it’s too high of a level and these kids aren’t getting it. Injuries hurt for sure, but it doesn’t look like the other guys have a clue to what is going on. He needs to adjust / figure it out.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

You’re probably right, but can we start seeing some of it? Again, I’m not championing him being fired. I don’t know what needs to be done, but he’s not coaching at a high level right now. There’s no way. If he is, it’s too high of a level and these kids aren’t getting it. Injuries hurt for sure, but it doesn’t look like the other guys have a clue to what is going on. He needs to adjust / figure it out.

Yeah I don't think anyone thinks he is getting fired and hardly anyone really thinks he should at this point.

But there are some troubling signs/trends he needs to correct in a hurry. Injuries or not, we look really bad right now. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

So we aren't supposed to give up wide open looks?

The math says to offset 17 of 30 from 3, we would have to shoot 26 of 30 from 2.  

That's 87%.  Didn't Nova due that to Georgetown in the '85 National Championship.

You gotta play for the history books is my motto.  Who cares about winning in a traditional manner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah I don't think anyone thinks he is getting fired and hardly anyone really thinks he should at this point.

I think there are a lot if people that wont come out and say it, but if you gave them a truth serum, they would be asking for a change.

IU fans are tired of this crap, and there is a whole generation of fans that have no connection to the Bob Knight era or Mike Woodson as a player.

To them, this is looking like Archie Miller, the sequal.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think there are a lot if people that wont come out and say it, but if you gave them a truth serum, they would be asking for a change.

IU fans are tired of this crap, and there is a whole generation of fans that have no connection to the Bob Knight era or Mike Woodson as a player.

To them, this is looking like Archie Miller, the sequal.

I would like a change but it isn't happening and probably would only hurt the program more.  We aren't going to bring in some elite coach anyways because you won't he seeing that anymore. 

Only elite coach out there right now who would be available is Jay Wright.  I don't see him coaching in college because the didn't like the future of the college game with the portal and NIL

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I look on the bright side. We might miss the tournament this year but UK will probably be right there with us as currently they are first 4 out. Who knows maybe we can play them in the NIT and get them to finally come to Assembly Hall again.

I say this in all honesty.  If we dont fix what is broken, we're not even making the NIT.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Criticize and critique but this OMG he's clueless is the embarrassing part.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would like a change but it isn't happening and probably would only hurt the program more.  We aren't going to bring in some elite coach anyways because you won't he seeing that anymore. 

Only elite coach out there right now who would be available is Jay Wright.  I don't see him coaching in college because the didn't like the future of the college game with the portal and NIL

You're probably right, but I wonder if part of what he didn't like about it was that he knew Villanova wouldn't be able to keep up. We can.

43 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

So….You could say that about every D1 coach that doesn’t change the fact if he is doing a good job or not. I’m far from asking for his removal but he better get his butt to work or he is going to feel it get real warm real soon. I would never try to coach my alma mater…why ruin the wonderful reputation I had. Woody has a lot to lose imo and I’m sure he will do everything possible to turn it around…but he could just as easily ruin his legacy continuing to put the crap on the floor he did the past few weeks. Nobody is running him off…but he sure as heck isn’t going to get a pass because he played for coach Knight. Accountability is key for anyone…he won’t be an exception. He is done some key guys…so time to earn that paycheck and do some real coaching.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

But there are some troubling signs/trends he needs to correct in a hurry. Injuries or not, we look really bad right now. 

Huh?  There is a fire Mike Woodson thread on btb 7 pages deep and 50% of this board's usernames are active in that thread as we speak.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I say this in all honesty.  If we dont fix what is broken, we're not even making the NIT.

We will make the NIT…we do have enough talent to do that and will get hot and win some games…but I am worried about the NCAA for sure. I thought we were around a top 20 team and top 5 B1G program before the season and injuries when everyone thought we would win the conference and finish top 10….I’m sure not an optimist with this team but even I think we have enough talent to make the tournament. Maybe we need to boot some kids off the team or maybe we need to sit some kids but it’s wake up time.

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Meh that's a cesspool

When I first went to BTB I thought it was a good board but it went downhill fast. I first started going over there ba couple of years ago but didn't frequent it a lot. When this board went down last year I went over there and it was the time of Archie's firing. 

Everytime I questioned Chris and his sources he and some of the others got so defensive.

I promise I’m not trying to pile on Woody but I wonder a guy like him who has had all this success and made a lot of money and is a lot older…to want to do all the work of a college basketball coach….Coach Knight was packing it in and taking hunting trips and coasting at Woodys age. Wonder if he has the hunger and drive to be great or just thought his experience and charisma would be enough to get the job done. College basketball is a tough tough business that often has its best coaches and work performed by young coaches. Something to prove, willing to put in endless hours, and looking to make a name for themselves. I look at Coach K, Calipari, Beheim, Roy Williams and so many others that while still brilliant as they got older I definitely think they long stayed past their best work.

• Like 2