Penn State Post Game Thread

KDB

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would like a change but it isn't happening and probably would only hurt the program more.  We aren't going to bring in some elite coach anyways because you won't he seeing that anymore. 

Only elite coach out there right now who would be available is Jay Wright.  I don't see him coaching in college because the didn't like the future of the college game with the portal and NIL

Woodson isn't going anywhere.  If he was, we wouldn't be getting an "elite" coach anyway.  People can just put that argument away.  If you reach a point where you feel Woodson isn't getting it done, you make a move to change the direction of the program.  There isn't going to be some magical elite coach that falls in the AD's lap to make it all better.  The hire will have to be researched to see how they run a program, see if that fits with what we feel we have here and what to have here, and then make a call knowing there are no guarantees.

Woodson doesn't have 5 years to "figure it out" though.  He would be 68 by that time and he already has questions about his giddy up as it is.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So….You could say that about every D1 coach that doesn’t change the fact if he is doing a good job or not. I’m far from asking for his removal but he better get his butt to work or he is going to feel it get real warm real soon. I would never try to coach my alma mater…why ruin the wonderful reputation I had. Woody has a lot to lose imo and I’m sure he will do everything possible to turn it around…but he could just as easily ruin his legacy continuing to put the crap on the floor he did the past few weeks. Nobody is running him off…but he sure as heck isn’t going to get a pass because he played for coach Knight. Accountability is key for anyone…he won’t be an exception. He is done some key guys…so time to earn that paycheck and do some real coaching.

This school fired Bob Knight.  None of his protégés will be untouchable if he wasn't.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Only Race and XJ knew how to stop those.

Best post of the day IUCrazy!!

They are 2 major parts of the engine, but you are absolutely right! The team looked as though they were basically sitting in lawn chairs inside the arch! 15 made 3’s!!!

There should be some type of disciplinary action for that performance.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Best post of the day IUCrazy!!

They are 2 major parts of the engine, but you are absolutely right! The team looked as though they were basically sitting in lawn chairs inside the arch! 15 made 3’s!!!

There should be some type of disciplinary action for that performance.

Coach Adragna had several pictures of the open shots, I think Geronimo needs to sit to start against Wisconsin.  

I would also be quick on the trigger to bench any guy who was displaying similar body language to what we saw last night too.  You want to sulk?  Go to the end of the bench and do it where I can't see you.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So….You could say that about every D1 coach that doesn’t change the fact if he is doing a good job or not. I’m far from asking for his removal but he better get his butt to work or he is going to feel it get real warm real soon. I would never try to coach my alma mater…why ruin the wonderful reputation I had. Woody has a lot to lose imo and I’m sure he will do everything possible to turn it around…but he could just as easily ruin his legacy continuing to put the crap on the floor he did the past few weeks. Nobody is running him off…but he sure as heck isn’t going to get a pass because he played for coach Knight. Accountability is key for anyone…he won’t be an exception. He is done some key guys…so time to earn that paycheck and do some real coaching.

I don't see how this would hurt his legacy, unless Woodson himself makes it hurt his legacy. 

I mean it sucks if this doesn't work out, but while I'm sure everyone will be disappointed if that happens, Woodson included, it doesn't impact his IU legacy IMO. 

If it doesn't work out, hey he tried. He gave it a shot and it didn't work out. He's still a great Hoosier and at least he wanted the shot. 

IMO, the only way it hurts his legacy is if he left with bitterness. Leave like Bob Knight and it will hurt his legacy, leave like Tom Crean and IU fans should still love him. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

IU relies on individual efforts to score. It's not so much an offense built on guys with roles set to get the best shot. It's more of an option 1 TJD and if he can't create move to option 2 to see if he can create, and so on. 

We talk a lot about Wisconsin's system. The reason they don't need elite recruits is they play with a specific idea of moving the ball and their players to get the easiest shot possible and then lock in on D. MSU crashes the boards and runs to get a layup or open three and if that doesn't work they run an offense to get the best shot possible. Then they play tough D. IU has neither working right now.

The reason IU looks so out of sorts on offense against better teams is they really don't seem to know how to get an easy shot for anyone. It comes down to a 1x1 move. The open shots they do get, there's no proof they will hit them. When X is running the offense they look better and his ability to beat his man off the dribble opens up a lot of opportunities, but at the end of the day it's still individuals having to work really hard to get a good shot. And the D has fallen apart and looks completely lost. 

Confidence is gone. You can see it on their faces. Either someone steps up or they can call it a season. I suggest over a week ago it may be time to invest in the young guys who will be here next season, but with the portal you have no idea who that will be.

Your description of the offense sounds like some prime 90s/2000s NBA iso-ball. Coincidence?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

No one is denying that.  But, it doesn't explain the rest of the team's inability to defend the three, the significant increase in turnovers, the inability to get Kopp an open shot, and a player purportedly telling an assistant to f-off and go sit down.

This team's issues go well beyond those two injuries.  Whether it's people just sticking their head in the sand, or over-defending Woodson because he's 'one of ours', the fact is we are currently playing like one of the 2-3 worst teams in ty he conference.

That's undeniable.

Post of the week....

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

No one is denying that.  But, it doesn't explain the rest of the team's inability to defend the three, the significant increase in turnovers, the inability to get Kopp an open shot, and a player purportedly telling an assistant to f-off and go sit down.

This team's issues go well beyond those two injuries.  Whether it's people just sticking their head in the sand, or over-defending Woodson because he's 'one of ours', the fact is we are currently playing like one of the 2-3 worst teams in ty he conference.

That's undeniable.

When did this happen?

I am not in the fire Woody camp yet, but I’m not happy with the direction of the program. I wanted to believe the hype this year, but for me, the Rutgers loss was the beginning of my serious doubt. I think CMW is a victim of the fanbase’s PTSD, and I hate it that we are so quickly turning against one of our favorite sons, and an all time great. There were so many boxes he checked, but the tactical one, ala coach RMK, doesn’t seem to be one of them. I’m not ready to give up on the team, but I think CMW gets paid enough to have to deal with the fallout from all of this. I don’t think he’s “the guy”, but who is? I’m not ready to go on social media and call him out, and especially not the players. It makes is look like our blue-clad brethren to the south, and living here in New Albany, I am seeing the hateful things their fans are doing, and they have had an infinitely better 20 years than we have had. So… I’m kind of ambivalent at this point. The worst part about the fall of IU is the apathy. That’s the worst.

• Like 2

I just hope we are not like Georgetown and keep a former player to long as coach before letting the coach go.  To me Woodson seems like a guy who if it isn't working will step down instead of going through this. If there is a need for a change I have no idea what route we go. Justbloom at the blue blood jobs that came open the last few years.

UCLA Mick Cronin 

UNC Hurbert Davis 

Duke Jon Schyer 

I just don't see guysblike Oats or Musslenman having to leave their current jobs because they are already getting paid and can win where they are at right now.

10 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

I am not in the fire Woody camp yet, but I’m not happy with the direction of the program. I wanted to believe the hype this year, but for me, the Rutgers loss was the beginning of my serious doubt. I think CMW is a victim of the fanbase’s PTSD, and I hate it that we are so quickly turning against one of our favorite sons, and an all time great. There were so many boxes he checked, but the tactical one, ala coach RMK, doesn’t seem to be one of them. I’m not ready to give up on the team, but I think CMW gets paid enough to have to deal with the fallout from all of this. I don’t think he’s “the guy”, but who is? I’m not ready to go on social media and call him out, and especially not the players. It makes is look like our blue-clad brethren to the south, and living here in New Albany, I am seeing the hateful things their fans are doing, and they have had an infinitely better 20 years than we have had. So… I’m kind of ambivalent at this point. The worst part about the fall of IU is the apathy. That’s the worst.

giphy.gif

46 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

But, it doesn't explain the rest of the team's inability to defend the three

Inexperience at key positions is part of it... That and asking Geronimo to start when he's not starter material is though... 

48 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

and a player purportedly telling an assistant to f-off and go sit down.

I'm old enough to believe half of what I see and none of what I hear...

In the washwoman thread over at BtownBanners, it's supposedly Kopp saying it to Rosemond...I don't believe that for a minute...

50 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

the fact is we are currently playing like one of the 2-3 worst teams in ty he conference.

And if you take 2 of the best players off any Big 10 team, they'd struggle... 3 points separate us from 3-2 in the Big 10 and all this nonsense about firing Coach Woodson...

52 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

That's undeniable

I just denied it 😁

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Inexperience at key positions is part of it... That and asking Geronimo to start when he's not starter material is though... 

I'm old enough to believe half of what I see and none of what I hear...

In the washwoman thread over at BtownBanners, it's supposedly Kopp saying it to Rosemond...I don't believe that for a minute...

And if you take 2 of the best players off any Big 10 team, they'd struggle... 3 points separate us from 3-2 in the Big 10 and all this nonsense about firing Coach Woodson...

I just denied it 😁

i've not been over to BTB so this "set down adn STFU" stuff is totally new to me. Now that you say that it was kopp, allegedly, say it... I don't buy that for a second. Good lord we are great at eating our young. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I don't see how this would hurt his legacy, unless Woodson himself makes it hurt his legacy. 

I mean it sucks if this doesn't work out, but while I'm sure everyone will be disappointed if that happens, Woodson included, it doesn't impact his IU legacy IMO. 

If it doesn't work out, hey he tried. He gave it a shot and it didn't work out. He's still a great Hoosier and at least he wanted the shot. 

IMO, the only way it hurts his legacy is if he left with bitterness. Leave like Bob Knight and it will hurt his legacy, leave like Tom Crean and IU fans should still love him. 

I mean instead of remembering him as an all time great player now he will be largely known as a failed coach to a whole generation of fans is all. Obviously I don’t mean he wouldn’t be a welcome Alumni etc…just the first memory of him.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just hope we are not like Georgetown and keep a former player to long as coach before letting the coach go.  To me Woodson seems like a guy who if it isn't working will step down instead of going through this. If there is a need for a change I have no idea what route we go. Justbloom at the blue blood jobs that came open the last few years.

UCLA Mick Cronin 

UNC Hurbert Davis 

Duke Jon Schyer 

I just don't see guysblike Oats or Musslenman having to leave their current jobs because they are already getting paid and can win where they are at right now.

Cronin would have been a very good hire

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I mean instead of remembering him as an all time great player now he will be largely known as a failed coach to a whole generation of fans is all. Obviously I don’t mean he wouldn’t be a welcome Alumni etc…just the first memory of him.

Umm… no one has failed, yet. Why not let this play out before getting the pitchforks out?

• Like 5

Crazy Tommy Lloyd goes to Arizona and turns them into a top 5 powerhouse in a year and yet we can’t even field a tournament capable team. The similarities of Nebraska football and Indiana basketball is striking. Crazy thing is we have a hot bed of talent to recruit from and they don’t…I’m not ready to say Woody is a bad hire but man we’ve made some bad decisions down the coaching road.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1