Minnesota Post Game

ButlerHoosier

48 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

IDK. There have been too many times this year and last night when opposing players dive on the floor for a loose ball and the IU player bends over to try to pick it up. Maybe after seeing XJ and Race go down they are afraid of contact. Kopp was the exception at the end last night. Also, too many times we aren’t strong securing a rebound and give up cheap putbacks

I couldn't find the clip, but there was that big play vs MSU where Kopp dive on the floor and tapped the ball away from MSU and then Reneau dove and secured the ball and called a timeout. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I couldn't find the clip, but there was that big play vs MSU where Kopp dive on the floor and tapped the ball away from MSU and then Reneau dove and secured the ball and called a timeout. 

Since the PSU game, Kopp has been playing hard and smart. He and TJD have the best defensive awareness on the team

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm not sure the Rosemond coaching and Hunter/Walsh handling the substitutions was a success... There was an awful lot of confusion on our sideline when we subbed out...

Are we even sure this is accurate? I know that’s the report, but in the question about Malik after the game, Yas said “I” took him out right? Or am I remembering incorrectly. Now he could simply be saying “I” because he was the head guy and wasn’t going to place blame on the other coaches or open them up to criticism, but 🤷🏻‍♂️.

2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Are we even sure this is accurate? I know that’s the report, but in the question about Malik after the game, Yas said “I” took him out right? Or am I remembering incorrectly. Now he could simply be saying “I” because he was the head guy and wasn’t going to place blame on the other coaches or open them up to criticism, but 🤷🏻‍♂️.

"Rosemond wasn’t running the show completely alone. He said assistant coaches Kenya Hunter and Brian Walsh handled substitutions, so he could focus on the game’s flow, coaching the team on the floor, and executing the game plan."

Link 

I never doubt @The Daily Hoosier 🙂

31 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

"Rosemond wasn’t running the show completely alone. He said assistant coaches Kenya Hunter and Brian Walsh handled substitutions, so he could focus on the game’s flow, coaching the team on the floor, and executing the game plan."

Link 

Yeah, I know that’s the report, but Yas was talking in first person when speaking of substitutions in the ones I heard. 

15 hours ago, 94hoosier said:

Definitely some weird bounces. A few times got out hustled

late in the game Race chased down a long rebound. Didn’t get to it but caused the minny player to knock it our if bounds. The TJD rebound and out back on Race missed free throw and the dive for ball were big plays. Game winning plays

Don’t forget TG missed free throws earlier in the game so for him to come up late in the game and burry two huge game finishing free throws was HUGE

• Like 3

14 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Link 

Am I the only one that thinks "coaching by committee" sucks?   May be too many 'chiefs' sitting on that bench during games.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, John S said:

Am I the only one that thinks "coaching by committee" sucks?   May be too many 'chiefs' sitting on that bench during games.

I agree...But the Big Chief is back next game hopefully...

Rewatching the game last night, the other thing I noticed was Coach Rosemond wasn't very engaged with the officials...I didn't see him talk to them all night, while Ben Johnson was bleating on every call...

It was probably a pretty overwhelming experience for Coach Ya, but he hung tough and motivated our team enough for a road W...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I agree...But the Big Chief is back next game hopefully...

Rewatching the game last night, the other thing I noticed was Coach Rosemond wasn't very engaged with the officials...I didn't see him talk to them all night, while Ben Johnson was bleating on every call...

It was probably a pretty overwhelming experience for Coach Ya, but he hung tough and motivated our team enough for a road W...

I preferred Ya to stay focused on our players and executing. I don't see a lot of advantages to complaining to officials. Woodson makes "points" to officials and explains things, but he also has a stupid amount more experience at it than Ya. 

If I were in Ya's shoes, I wouldn't have allowed myself to get caught up in the officiating because if you guys haven't noticed.... it basically sucks every game. 

We didn't get any worse of a whistle than Minny did overall, though. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, John S said:

Yes. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the way they handled the game the other night, so I don't necessarily see what the complaint could be. We still ran great stuff ATO, etc. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yes.

As a small high school assistant, my job is to keep track of player fouls, timeouts, and the other team's substitutions during timeouts. I'm always welcome to suggest items to our head coach or other assistants.

I was critical of Ya the other night, but what an odd situation to find yourself in. Those guys gave it their best and somehow, someway, came out with a road dub. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I preferred Ya to stay focused on our players and executing. I don't see a lot of advantages to complaining to officials. Woodson makes "points" to officials and explains things, but he also has a stupid amount more experience at it than Ya. 

If I were in Ya's shoes, I wouldn't have allowed myself to get caught up in the officiating because if you guys haven't noticed.... it basically sucks every game. 

We didn't get any worse of a whistle than Minny did overall, though. 

Understand your point, but I kept looking at the bench and never saw him say a word top them...Not even "points" :) 

And I'm not really talking about complaining...I'd think an assistant getting cheeky with them wouldn't sit well...But maybe an explanation or 2...

I'm kinda with @John Sthough...I did see some confusion over there, especially when we subbed out...Reneau was actually sitting at the scorers table with 2:10 to go, only to get called back to the bench...

Put one guy in charge, and have him run the show...I've been in the "2 captains trying to steer a ship" scenario before, and it's not an ideal situation

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Understand your point, but I kept looking at the bench and never saw him say a word top them...Not even "points" :) 

And I'm not really talking about complaining...I'd think an assistant getting cheeky with them wouldn't sit well...But maybe an explanation or 2...

I'm kinda with @John Sthough...I did see some confusion over there, especially when we subbed out...Reneau was actually sitting at the scorers table with 2:10 to go, only to get called back to the bench...

Put one guy in charge, and have him run the show...I've been in the "2 captains trying to steer a ship" scenario before, and it's not an ideal situation

I think complaining to officials is mostly a completely useless exercise. What call would you have wanted explanation on? We didn't seem to have any calls really go against us. 

The bold is a preference though, an opinions. It isn't fact, because my preference much more aligns with the strategy they used. 

Ppl going to the scorers table and then going back to the bench isn't really THAT uncommon. 

48 minutes ago, John S said:

My first thought when he said that, was Kramer on Seinfeld driving the Tiller (rear steer ladder) fire truck. The front going in one direction while the rear end keeps swinging left and right.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I think complaining to officials is mostly a completely useless exercise. What call would you have wanted explanation on? We didn't seem to have any calls really go against us. 

The bold is a preference though, an opinions. It isn't fact, because my preference much more aligns with the strategy they used. 

Ppl going to the scorers table and then going back to the bench isn't really THAT uncommon. 

I said it wasn't about complaining...

And the your bolded that you cite comes from a whole lot of real world experience...I've never seen it work well from a leadership standpoint, and it can be confusing to any kind of team...

I cited the scenario with Reneau at the end of the game, but in the first half, there was a lot of indecision at one point...Players were popping up and then sitting back down like it was Whack-A-Mole...

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I said it wasn't about complaining...

And the your bolded that you cite comes from a whole lot of real world experience...I've never seen it work well from a leadership standpoint, and it can be confusing to any kind of team...

I cited the scenario with Reneau at the end of the game, but in the first half, there was a lot of indecision at one point...Players were popping up and then sitting back down like it was Whack-A-Mole...

So is mine. 

And someone being brought in as a "replacement" needs to focus on the task at hand and not an outside entity that he can't control. He gains little by talking to them. 

Edited by btownqb

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So is mine. 

And someone being brought in as a "replacement" needs to focus on the task at hand and not an outside entity that he can't control. He gains little by talking to them. 

You're kinda moving the goalpost here...I said, for the 3rd time, it wasn't about complaining...

My point was more about not confusing the kids with too many voices...I agree, focus on the task at hand, but they need to know who has the last word too...And it seemed like at times there was some confusion on our bench...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

You're kinda moving the goalpost here...I said, for the 3rd time, it wasn't about complaining...

My point was more about not confusing the kids with too many voices...I agree, focus on the task at hand, but they need to know who has the last word too...And it seemed like at times there was some confusion on our bench...

I didn't say complaining in the last message. I said talking. 

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

JG charge was a total flop and JHS got hammered on that breakaway late in the game. But I agree officiating is bad game in game out. 

24 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

JG charge was a total flop and JHS got hammered on that breakaway late in the game. But I agree officiating is bad game in game out. 

Ohhh.. yep, great call on the missed charge. 

I do think.. from our bench/Yas vantage point... it would have been hard to tell if JG did or not... 

The complaint on that play really should have been WHO called the charge... it was the official next to Minnesotas bench (shocker!).. he had an awful view(the Minnesota defenders backside)..

It WASNT the official who was positioned PERFECTLY under the baseline. 

those are the types of things with officials that drive me up a wall. 

That same official, I believe was the one who missed JHS getting hit on the drive to the rim... he was also the one who COMPLETELY missed JHS drive when they called a foul and he wasn't touched. Thompsons 4th. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2