Minnesota Post Game

ButlerHoosier

20 minutes ago, D-BONE said:

WHEW! 

Honest first thought - Big props to Minnesota for an incredible effort/performance under difficult circumstances. I thought they outhustled for major portions of the game. The team that is the aggressor in this area usually creates a lot of opportunities for itself. That and the slow-down game plan gave them a legit chance and made our life miserable.

Kopp was actually LOOKING for his shot some tonight! Hip hip hooray! He needs to stay aggressive and get looks. Too good a shooter not to utilize more in the offense.

TJD = beast.

We were fortunate to pull this one out. Let's re-focus on concentration, intensity, execution (against the zone in particular) in response to some of our weaknesses in the loss. Need to get JG and TB back to contributing ASAP.  JHS, break out of slump Saturday too please.

Kopp got a lot more open looks last night.  Minnesota did a poor job on him in the zone. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Bates gave us nothing last night.  

Not disputing that, though he didn’t get much run in the 2nd half either.  But the fact is the middle was clogged with Race at the high post and we stopped going to TJD in the high post.  Race didn’t give us much of anything either and was getting used up as well on D.  The threat of Bate’s shooting would have unclogged the middle, and if it didn’t, you surround your All American center with your 4 best, 3 point shooters.   

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I dont think it's fair at all to judge Ya as a coach after one game, on the road, when he found out less than 24 hours in advance he was going to coach.  

C'mon guys.

I know, some people on here are never happy. SMH..... Always complaining win or lose,.....  Enjoy the win fellas, this team is battling to the end, some pretty, some not. We are now one game out of second place in the BIGTEN. Who would have imagined that a few weeks ago?

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 7

I really don't know why Coach Rosemond was so hesitant to use the bench... I know Hunter and Walsh were supposedly in charge of substitutions, but Kopp played 40 minutes... TJD 39, and JHS 38...

Minny gave an inspired effort, and hit some very tough shots on us...

Hats off to their kids for playing while undermanned, but as I said, I'll take a Big 10 road win any day against any team... Any year... 

Anyone else remember the eventual 1987 National Championship team going to Wisconsin and having to go 3 OTs to beat a Badgers squad that ended up 4-14 in the Big 10?

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I really don't know why Coach Rosemond was so hesitant to use the bench... I know Hunter and Walsh were supposedly in charge of substitutions, but Kopp played 40 minutes... TJD 39, and JHS 38...

Minny gave an inspired effort, and hit some very tough shots on us...

Hats off to their kids for playing while undermanned, but as I said, I'll take a Big 10 road win any day against any team... Any year... 

Anyone else remember the eventual 1987 National Championship team going to Wisconsin and having to go 3 OTs to beat a Badgers squad that ended up 4-14 in the Big 10?

I did like that Ya gave an explanation about Malik. And while I don’t know much about coaching college basketball, I think i just wanted to see us force Minnesota to matchup to us - not the other way around. We had the talent and size advantage. That zone was loose enough to allow Trayce to get the ball in the middle and drive to the basket. 

I guess I just expected us to attack the big guys MN had available and attempt to put them in foul trouble. Malik was doing that - he was sending dudes flying by getting into their chest. (AND he didn’t foul in the first half!) We built a lead that way and then went away from it in the second half. That said, I do recognize that part of the blame for the lack of inside touches was on our guards for putting up shots too early. 

Glad we got the win. 

I’m hoping that when Woody comes back he’ll use Race more sparingly. That’s not a knock on Race and I know he’s good on defense, but our offense just seems to flow better without him on the court in certain situations. Sure, start him, but Malik and Geronimo have proven that they can give us a spark when the matchups dictate it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

I did like that Ya gave an explanation about Malik. And while I don’t know much about coaching college basketball, I think i just wanted to see us force Minnesota to matchup to us - not the other way around. We had the talent and size advantage. That zone was loose enough to allow Trayce to get the ball in the middle and drive to the basket. 

I guess I just expected us to attack the big guys MN had available and attempt to put them in foul trouble. Malik was doing that - he was sending dudes flying by getting into their chest. (AND he didn’t foul in the first half!) We built a lead that way and then went away from it in the second half. That said, I do recognize that part of the blame for the lack of inside touches was on our guards for putting up shots too early. 

Glad we got the win. 

I’m hoping that when Woody comes back he’ll use Race more sparingly. That’s not a knock on Race and I know he’s good on defense, but our offense just seems to flow better without him on the court in certain situations. Sure, start him, but Malik and Geronimo have proven that they can give us a spark when the matchups dictate it.  

Totally agree.  I will add, Geronimo is best served moving around under the basket,  not top of key in the middle of the zone, that would be a disaster and setting him up for failure.  Malik was killing it down low but his switching and perimeter d is just slightly behind Race.  Then you've got the experience of Race playing with Trayce for 4 years now.  

Add it all up, you give a little take a little offensively,  defensively,  passing, even threat to shoot.  And let's not forget,  we have missed Race's help breaking pressure.  

It wasn't pretty but we got the w in one piece.  Woo

• Like 2

You pretty much always take a win on the road, but I'd have to agree with others that some of the sub patterns were kind of bizarre, and that was a strange game overall. Even going with a small lineup, you still have to find a few minutes for Malik and JG in the second half - Malik was eating their bigs alive and one of their bigs was in foul trouble, and they only had, what, 7 players total? I dunno, just seemed odd to leave that energy sitting on the bench.

I also don't really understand why we can't figure out a way to flash Kopp or someone to the foul line against these zones, where it's pretty much wide open for a jumper. Guess that's part of the disappearance of the mid range jumper from the college game? It's just weird that we get completely baffled by a basic 2-3 zone - it's not like it's Syracuse out there running it.

Props to Minny for doing more with less, but they were throwing in some crazy stuff - my favorite was when the guy grabbed the ball behind his teammate's head and just tossed it towards the rim. Naturally, it went in. Feels like there are a lot of very difficult shots going down against our defense lately, all the way back to the Wisky game, but we're stacking Ws, so keep on keepin' on. OSU and Maryland on the road will be good litmus tests for this team.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Totally agree.  I will add, Geronimo is best served moving around under the basket,  not top of key in the middle of the zone, that would be a disaster and setting him up for failure.  Malik was killing it down low but his switching and perimeter d is just slightly behind Race.  Then you've got the experience of Race playing with Trayce for 4 years now.  

Add it all up, you give a little take a little offensively,  defensively,  passing, even threat to shoot.  And let's not forget,  we have missed Race's help breaking pressure.  

Not to mention Minnesota's plan was obviously to eat the shot clock and attack the rim. Race is a better rim protector than Malik.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Agree wholeheartedly with that. I couldn't believe he took Malik out. I thought at the very least they should have given Trayce a small rest. Malik was killing it inside, and his defense has improved markedly... 

11 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I agree about Malik, but Geronimo is kinda feast or famine. When he plays "his game" (defense, rebounding, especially on the offensive end) he's solid... But he has issues catching the ball, and when he takes more than 2 dribbles I have heart palpitations. I think Malik is actually getting as good on the defensive end... Both have trouble with the fouls though... 

• Like 3

Pretty easy to tell why Bates didn't play much. Couldn't keep the ball in front of him defensively. 

1525- Battle hits a TOUGH step back on Race 2pts (couldn't have been better D)

1305- Turn around 2pt jump shot hit on Race

1107- TJD backs too far off a ball screen (Kopp was guarding Battle) 3pts ... Race wasn't in. 

858- Battle hits a 3 in transition (Race wasn't in)

621- Battle hit a 3 late in the shot clock-- dumb play by Race to not be ready. 3pts Battle 

Battle finishing with 20. Didn't score the last 6 mins. False narrative that Battle just "lit Race up".

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Agree wholeheartedly with that. I couldn't believe he took Malik out. I thought at the very least they should have given Trayce a small rest. Malik was killing it inside, and his defense has improved markedly... 

I agree about Malik, but Geronimo is kinda feast or famine. When he plays "his game" (defense, rebounding, especially on the offensive end) he's solid... But he has issues catching the ball, and when he takes more than 2 dribbles I have heart palpitations. I think Malik is actually getting as good on the defensive end... Both have trouble with the fouls though... 

For sure, I think Geronimo is all about ‘feel’. If the coach feels he has it on a certain night and the other team has a 4 that’s not a perimeter guy, then ride him. If not, try something else. Last night wasn’t Geronimo’s night, but there will be others….it’s a matter of recognizing which nights those are….which I’m sure is way easier said than done. 

RE: Coach Ya

One easy mistake to make when filling in as he did last night, is to scramble to do too much.  I have a completely different take on his job last night.  One, Woodson wanted Ya to lead because he was responsible for the advance scout.  Kenya and Walsh were responsible for substitutes.  IU had a 47-40 lead, which Minny rapidly tied.  Ya called a timeout wisely.  Later, I believe in the last 2 min A PERFECT out-of-bounds play led to the JHS to Trayce one-handed lob punch by TJD.  

Other factors that were of note:

Jamison Battle was 3 of his last 21 from 3.  Many of his makes last night were of the deep fadeaway, low percentage variety.  He was just on last night.  

JHS on ball D last night was very poor, particularly the 2nd half.  Cooper was able to penetrate way too easily on him.  That, and his offensive game was offensive 🙂

Several other lesser knowns were having the same out of body experience that allowed them to beat Ohio State in Columbus a few weeks ago.  

This is a game that has been lost consistently for numerous years.  Trayce, and at the very end, “Gallo”, were not going to let that happen.  

The one personnel matter: Race is coming back from a hobbled knee.  Completely get and support him starting back in his home state, the last time, before graduating.  That said, it’s clear he is not yet mobile enough to be laterally effective as a defender.  Related, I felt Malik Reneau played well, and should have gotten the lions share of the minutes.  Malik’s confidence, strength and effectiveness on the offensive were blatantly clear.  His getting a ziggy in the 2nd half: BULLSHIT. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Yeah agree  on Geronimo. I'd much rather TJD in the high post and Geronimo short corner cutting baseline. 

Ben Johnson had to be thrilled to not have to face both TJD and Malik in the second half. They had no answer when both were in the game. Malik saved us in the first half when we were really struggling. 

What we saw last night was the lack of coaching experience on the bench. I think it really helps to have an assistant who has had some head coaching experience. We have a bench full of recruiters. Ya looked really uncomfortable on the sideline. 

I think guys played heavy minutes and there were few substitutions because the coaches put the game on the players to make decisions. 

Great to get the win. Games like last night can be dangerous. MN had no pressure and the players could be totally loose. Battle was playing with a smile on this face. You're free to take any shot and not be worried about getting yanked. They played really hard. They were diving on the floor, while IU's players were reaching down to get the ball (that has been a problem at other times this year). Kopp made the huge play at the end when he dove for the ball and called the timeout. Hummel noted it was the first time all night that IU made a play like that. 

We were fortunate that MN shot so poorly. 

A win is a win and road wins are all big in conference play. 

You coaches on here set me straight.  How is it more effective to have one coach, in this case Ya, be responsible for the 'game' while other coaches, Kenya and Walsh, be responsible for substitutions? 

I mean, what if Ya saw something in his advance scouting that told him it might be a good idea to go small for stretches of the game.  Meanwhile, Hunter and Walsh consistently sub so that TJD is on the floor at all times with one of Race, Reneau, or Geronimo.

That's just an example, but my point is that what Ya was trying to do is significantly impacted by who is on the floor, but if he's not the one putting those pieces on the floor, how is he supposed to make it happen?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

You coaches on here set me straight.  How is it more effective to have one coach, in this case Ya, be responsible for the 'game' while other coaches, Kenya and Walsh, be responsible for substitutions? 

I mean, what if Ya saw something in his advance scouting that told him it might be a good idea to go small for stretches of the game.  Meanwhile, Hunter and Walsh consistently sub so that TJD is on the floor at all times with one of Race, Reneau, or Geronimo.

That's just an example, but my point is that what Ya was trying to do is significantly impacted by who is on the floor, but if he's not the one putting those pieces on the floor, how is he supposed to make it happen?

I coached 6th grade boys for one season so I'll chime in, 😆.   

If anyone looked tired or slow footed, it was Trey.  Trayce's energy only seemed to increase as the game went on.  

Now, I would have tried to get him a breather going into a TV timeout.  But we have also heard that Trayce has refused to be taken out at times.  

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think I take 3 things from that game as the staff.

1)I hit effort again this week.  Minnesota was severely outmanned but they gave us a game with hustle.  With a few exceptions they were coming up with the live balls.

I didn't have a problem with the effort last night. Execution was just lacking, and at times decision making too. We had any number of wide open threes, blatantly so, and had just a few of those gone down the game isn't so close. Some poor passing created those live ball opportunities that Minnesota was in better position to come up with. But I don't think you defend as well as we did without effort. Guys were playing hard, just not always well.

• Like 2