Minnesota Post Game

ButlerHoosier

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

We dropped from 20 to 23 with the win. A loss would have been brutal. 

Get the win Saturday night and we finally have some breathing room. You never know if Purdue loses one tonight we'll only be 2 back in loss column??

Speaking of brutal though. If you get bored go back and read the postgame Penn St thread. Some of the comments on there besides being absolutely brutal should be a life lesson for Hoosier fans of all ages. 1-4 stunk but 1-4 isn't a conference ending/season ending record.

• Like 3

So much for Trayce getting some time off last night...

Incredible effort from him. He does seem to start slow but come crunch time, he carried this team.

JHS didn't play smart last night. I do think he was trying to hard to do too much.

Northwestern did what we should have done. They went on the road and easily handled a short handed Nebraska team. That was what I was expecting from IU. Shows we still have some room to grow. Our complimentary players are going to have to learn to step up in road games. 

• Like 1

I couldn't watch the game until this morning and have to say it wasn't as bad as some comments suggest.  JHS not being able to hit anything, Bates doing very little and Geronimo getting few minutes along with MN really getting a lot of breaks was the difference from the last few games.

I thought Reneau, Kopp, & Galloway made good contributions, TJD was outstanding, and RT looks rusty.

Bottom Line......W

Edited by Zuckerkorn
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You coaches on here set me straight.  How is it more effective to have one coach, in this case Ya, be responsible for the 'game' while other coaches, Kenya and Walsh, be responsible for substitutions? 

I mean, what if Ya saw something in his advance scouting that told him it might be a good idea to go small for stretches of the game.  Meanwhile, Hunter and Walsh consistently sub so that TJD is on the floor at all times with one of Race, Reneau, or Geronimo.

That's just an example, but my point is that what Ya was trying to do is significantly impacted by who is on the floor, but if he's not the one putting those pieces on the floor, how is he supposed to make it happen?

Only sub I had an issue with..... not getting TJD a 2-3 min break in the 2nd half with Malik (but at the same time I understand why they rolled with TJD, holy cow he lit it up)... JG had a horrible matchup, and basically anyone with a 4 that can play inside and out, JG is has shown to struggle against. 

Malik/JG vs Battle wasn't going to end well for us/they waited too long anyway to insert Malik, if they were going to use him. 

Bates sucked. Gunn sucked... so you can't sit Kopp. 

The rest, imo, you're trying to over analyze. If the point guard plays decent, we win going away last night.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And for the people who were saying JHS, Bates, and Galloway should "stop shooting" I disagree... When they had open shots they needed to take them...

If they didn't, Trayce would have all 5 zone defenders  within a foot of him the whole night... 

JHS and Bates took some poor ones, though.

But, no.. no one on our team should pass up open shots. 

16 minutes ago, Coach Shep said:

Being coached by XJ at practice

Didn't you post recently how much you loved watching our guards play over the last couple games?  And now you're hating on JHS for having a bad game and somehow tying it to your wife's secret lover.  Come on man, if you're going to be a douche bag troll, at least be a consistent douche bag troll

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I really don't know why Coach Rosemond was so hesitant to use the bench... I know Hunter and Walsh were supposedly in charge of substitutions, but Kopp played 40 minutes... TJD 39, and JHS 38...

Minny gave an inspired effort, and hit some very tough shots on us...

Hats off to their kids for playing while undermanned, but as I said, I'll take a Big 10 road win any day against any team... Any year... 

Anyone else remember the eventual 1987 National Championship team going to Wisconsin and having to go 3 OTs to beat a Badgers squad that ended up 4-14 in the Big 10?

I was only 2 but I've watched it on YouTube. 

And now that I think about it I was technically alive the last time IU won a championship.  Am I getting old?

It’s obviously mindset with Bates.  Against MSU he hit a couple of free throws and he got going.  Once he gets going, his entire attitude changes.   Other times, he has trouble getting in the flow and getting going.  Last night he quickly struggled on D and he went into a funk.  If he can stabilize all of this, he can improve his consistency.  On defense, he has potential but his concentration and effort are up and down.  If he becomes consistent we are an entirely different team and a far more dynamic team.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, btownqb said:

JHS and Bates took some poor ones, though.

But, no.. no one on our team should pass up open shots. 

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I agree about shot selection... It wasn't the best at times...

Too many quick shots without making the D work. But otherwise it seems like we never shoot well there. Fortunately MN didn't either. 

14 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Didn't you post recently how much you loved watching our guards play over the last couple games?  And now you're hating on JHS for having a bad game and somehow tying it to your wife's secret lover.  Come on man, if you're going to be a douche bag troll, at least be a consistent douche bag troll

Not hating on JHS. You asked if he was injured or disinterested. I am giving you a reason he didnt play up to his normal. He only had 1 turnover. He was just off shooting

Tamar Bates has gone for zero points in 3 of last 4.  He did have a terrific shooting game against Sparty.  That said, well into his sophomore year he has been inconsistent and a poor defender.  Seems to be ready at home, scared on the road.  

He would benefit greatly to get some fire on defense and consistency all the way around to even come close to his “5 star” ranking.  

7 minutes ago, Fundamentals said:

Tamar Bates has gone for zero points in 3 of last 4.  He did have a terrific shooting game against Sparty.  That said, well into his sophomore year he has been inconsistent and a poor defender.  Seems to be ready at home, scared on the road.  

He would benefit greatly to get some fire on defense and consistency all the way around to even come close to his “5 star” ranking.  

pretty clearly he was substantially over-ranked 

• Like 1

I was looking forward to watching IU crush Minny last night. That obviously didn’t happen. Reflecting on what I did watch this morning, and I realize it was a trap game that we won. At the start it seemed the guys were uninspired. And Minny was playing for their lives. Hats off to how well they played.

And I grew so tired of how many of their bad shooters were suddenly hitting shots. All the while the Barn struck again with the off shooting night for the good guys. All around I was not disappointed with anyone in particular.

Not sure I understood playing time for some, but it was clear that CMW was missed. This is a good opportunity for this team to grow as a unit. I really cannot remember the last time I watched a player have a stretch like TJD is having. His confidence is off the charts. Some adjustment is needed with having RT back, but I’m confident that will come.  

35 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I agree about shot selection... It wasn't the best at times...

I think that was the issue last night with JHS.  You want them to still shoot within the flow of the offense and there were times last night where I felt he was forcing it instead of letting the game come to him.

Lesson to learn.  I would rather he learn it in a win though, so good job ultimately getting the W when we really looked out of sorts for most of the game.

47 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Only sub I had an issue with..... not getting TJD a 2-3 min break in the 2nd half with Malik (but at the same time I understand why they rolled with TJD, holy cow he lit it up)... JG had a horrible matchup, and basically anyone with a 4 that can play inside and out, JG is has shown to struggle against. 

Malik/JG vs Battle wasn't going to end well for us/they waited too long anyway to insert Malik, if they were going to use him. 

Bates sucked. Gunn sucked... so you can't sit Kopp. 

The rest, imo, you're trying to over analyze. If the point guard plays decent, we win going away last night.  

Thanks for the response, but I guess my question is more basic than that.  At it's core, why couldn't Ya just make the decision himself about who to sub in and when? 

Sure, Kenya could say "Galloway looks tired", but shouldn't Ya have had the last say on whether Galloway came out and who went in for him if he did come out?  

Personally, last night, my opinion was that a tired Galloway was a better option than a rested Bates.  Gunn only played one trip down the floor and got beat badly on D before getting yanked, so we dont have enough info on him.