Minnesota Post Game

ButlerHoosier

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Thanks for the response, but I guess my question is more basic than that.  At it's core, why couldn't Ya just make the decision himself about who to sub in and when? 

Sure, Kenya could say "Galloway looks tired", but shouldn't Ya have had the last say on whether Galloway came out and who went in for him if he did come out?  

Personally, last night, my opinion was that a tired Galloway was a better option than a rested Bates.  Gunn only played one trip down the floor and got beat badly on D before getting yanked, so we dont have enough info on him. 

Oh we absolutely have enough info from Gunn. He had a HORRIBLE offensive possession, wasn't spotted for a shot, dribbled for absolutely no reason at all... made an AWFUL pass to TJD, then... on the other end, he has no want to contain the ball, he just wants to slap people. He absolutely should have been pulled at that point and our coaching staff was right in doing so. If CJ Gunn wants to play more, he needs to play better when given the opportunity. 

2 things cannot happen-- he CAN'T turn it over, he CAN'T get beat off the dribble. Period. Those two things CAN NOT happen... if you're CJ Gunn. 

Still, the bold man... you're way over thinking it. Simplify it for Ya. It's the plan they came up with it and it was fine. Players play. 

Galloway was really bad in multiple areas in attacking the Minnesota's zone, and that is why he was pulled multiple times. Plus his BS TO at half court when they "jumped" him. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Thanks for the response, but I guess my question is more basic than that.  At it's core, why couldn't Ya just make the decision himself about who to sub in and when? 

Sure, Kenya could say "Galloway looks tired", but shouldn't Ya have had the last say on whether Galloway came out and who went in for him if he did come out?  

Personally, last night, my opinion was that a tired Galloway was a better option than a rested Bates.  Gunn only played one trip down the floor and got beat badly on D before getting yanked, so we dont have enough info on him. 

That was part of the problem with substitutions... No one thought Putting Malik in when they went small was a bad idea? 

And it was Geronimo who replaced him... For 1 minute or so? 

27 minutes ago, Between2Halls said:

And I grew so tired of how many of their bad shooters were suddenly hitting shots. All the while the Barn struck again with the off shooting night for the good guys. 

You know, it seemed like that, but it really wasn't true. Ramberg was 2-2 and Henley was 3-5 (1-2 from three), but those 11 points shouldn't have really mattered that much. Battle was 8-16 (4-9 from three), but the rest of the team was atrocious: Ola Joseph 1-8 (0-1 from three), Thompson 4-13 (0-5), Cooper 2-14 (0-6), Samuels 2-6 (0-2). They shot 34%, 20% from three. If you take out Battle, they were 29% overall, 1-16 from three. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

You know, it seemed like that, but it really wasn't true. Ramberg was 2-2 and Henley was 3-5 (1-2 from three), but those 11 points shouldn't have really mattered that much. Battle was 8-16 (4-9 from three), but the rest of the team was atrocious: Ola Joseph 1-8 (0-1 from three), Thompson 4-13 (0-5), Cooper 2-14 (0-6), Samuels 2-6 (0-2). They shot 34%, 20% from three. If you take out Battle, they were 29% overall, 1-16 from three. 

True. I guess in watching the game it seemed more so like the timing of things. “This guy is a terrible free throw shooter…..” calmly sinks both. 😬

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Me checking HSN to see if  @IUFLAhas finished his morning chores and started the OSU pregame thread.  

436V.gif

1 hour ago, Inequality said:

Same. He took it upon himself to start doing them and we’ve all become acquainted with the routine. Now he has to do them and timely!

I'll be on it soon 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

I was only 2 but I've watched it on YouTube. 

And now that I think about it I was technically alive the last time IU won a championship.  Am I getting old?

The game before the UW game we only beat NW by 2 on the road. After the game RMK ripped into Alford for being back terrible leader

12 hours ago, Zville Hoosier said:

I figured we would lose a game like this at some point this year, it just would’ve sucked to happen when we already dropped two bad games to Penn State Northwestern. We figured out a way to win and that’s all I care about right now 

I also felt this was a trap game against a lesser opponent

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Exactly! I was frustrated by those late-in-the-shot-clock contested shots (or the wrap around your teammates head prayer) falling but stepping back, our D was solid and really contributed to the poor shooting number above. On the flip side, our offensive issues last night were mostly self inflicted (missed wide open looks, bad shot selection, poor passes, etc.) and not really a result of the Gopher's D

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

As much as I harp on the refs, if they don't call that late foul on Race that resulted in his free throw and TJD putback, I don't think we win. That is too narrow of a margin

Minnesota got plenty of calls, too. They were only called for 13 fouls last night....

40 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

This is what we missed last night...

Screenshot_20230126-100220.png.9e8492745fb59e330bd4a1ca1f4a6b0e.png

Coach Rosemond was too nice to em 🙂

We missed him a lot, IMO. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

As much as I harp on the refs, if they don't call that late foul on Race that resulted in his free throw and TJD putback, I don't think we win. That is too narrow of a margin

Based on the Minnesota player's reaction, I expected the replay to show a pretty clean play. It was not...he got a large chunk of his forearm and wrist before making any contact with the ball. Very clearly a foul that is going to be called basically every single time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Oh we absolutely have enough info from Gunn. He had a HORRIBLE offensive possession, wasn't spotted for a shot, dribbled for absolutely no reason at all... made an AWFUL pass to TJD, then... on the other end, he has no want to contain the ball, he just wants to slap people. He absolutely should have been pulled at that point and our coaching staff was right in doing so. If CJ Gunn wants to play more, he needs to play better when given the opportunity. 

2 things cannot happen-- he CAN'T turn it over, he CAN'T get beat off the dribble. Period. Those two things CAN NOT happen... if you're CJ Gunn. 

Still, the bold man... you're way over thinking it. Simplify it for Ya. It's the plan they came up with it and it was fine. Players play. 

Galloway was really bad in multiple areas in attacking the Minnesota's zone, and that is why he was pulled multiple times. Plus his BS TO at half court when they "jumped" him. 

Rhythm is critical for most basketball players, it’s required for jump shooters. You can’t have rhythm without confidence and that’s hard to come by without experience/minutes. It’s impossible to assess his game with the playing time he’s given. JHS is the most turnover prone guy on the team who takes more forced shots than anyone but he has all the “rope” he wants. Gunn isn’t going to shine until he sees consistent playing time. 

• Like 2

Just now, Hoosier82 said:

Rhythm is critical for most basketball players, it’s required for jump shooters. You can’t have rhythm without confidence and that’s hard to come by without experience/minutes. It’s impossible to assess his game with the playing time he’s given. JHS is the most turnover prone guy on the team who takes more forced shots than anyone but he has all the “rope” he wants. Gunn isn’t going to shine until he sees consistent playing time. 

It's not impossible at all, it's actually rather simple. He has been poor in the time he has been allotted. 

Gunn isn't going to shine until he becomes a better basketball player. I'm not talking about his jump shots.. I'm talking about his play. 

Rhythm has zero to do with containing the basketball and not turning the ball over. Zero. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Shooting is rhythm and confidence. 

Being in front of your man on defense, moving your feet, refraining from slapping -- that's effort + bball IQ. He has room for growth in that area. (And that's not a bad thing. It's part of learning how to play at this level against better competition.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Race played fine on defense but TJD needed Malik’s help on the offensive end. I’d be curious to see what MR’s +/- was because neither he or Race appeared to be more effective than the other on Battle. 

Race guarded Battle pretty well. I outlined that in another post. Malik could have seen some time early in the 2nd half to get TJD a breather. 

The one possession Malik guarded Battle in the first half, Battle took him straight to the rack. In the 2nd H... Malik matched on their wings, taken straight to the rack.. (Kopp guarded Battle).

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

I mean, sure, the sub patterns were questionable, especially in the second half. But it won't be Ya (or Walsh) making those decisions going forward. Tough for me to get too worked up about a one-off situation that I don't expect to be repeated.

Agree 100%.

Lots of time and energy getting worked up over this. One one hand, this situation is rare and not likely to be replicated any time soon. If it is, one would have to believe that Coach Ya has the competence and intelligence to watch tape and learn for himself. He absolutely can grow as a coach; it's good that he got some reps, imho.

• Like 1

Just now, btownqb said:

Rhythm has zero to do with containing the basketball and not turning the ball over. Zero. 

I can’t imagine anyone who’s played /coached basketball at any level above “pee wee” agreeing with this. JHS used to be constantly praised for his “speed” control, dictating vs pressing. That’s 100% rhythm, confidence and experience. Not getting sped up, knowing where your teammates will be, knowing how defenses will react comes with floor time. 
On the defensive side, floor communication is critical when our philosophy is to switch 1-4 and often every position. If you’re not doing that at game speed on a regular basis, you’re not going to be good at it. Point being, JHS makes the same mistakes as Gunn and the only way Gunn will improve in these areas is consistent playing time. He has 5 turnovers on the season in over 130 minutes. It’s the exact TO to Minutes ratio as Galloway and Bates. Why are you picking on Gunn?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosier82 said:

I can’t imagine anyone who’s played /coached basketball at any level above “pee wee” agreeing with this. JHS used to be constantly praised for his “speed” control, dictating vs pressing. That’s 100% rhythm, confidence and experience. Not getting sped up, knowing where your teammates will be, knowing how defenses will react comes with floor time. 
On the defensive side, floor communication is critical when our philosophy is to switch 1-4 and often every position. If you’re not doing that at game speed on a regular basis, you’re not going to be good at it. Point being, JHS makes the same mistakes as Gunn and the only way Gunn will improve in these areas is consistent playing time. He has 5 turnovers on the season in over 130 minutes. It’s the exact TO to Minutes ratio as Galloway and Bates. Why are you picking on Gunn?

What's the quality of the opponent where he got most of those minutes?

Btownqb pointed out the 2 possessions he was in and how he got roasted or was in the wrong.  Could he have redeemed himself?  Possibly sure.  Guaranteed?  No

• Like 1