Minnesota Post Game

ButlerHoosier

13 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Shooting is rhythm and confidence. 

Being in front of your man on defense, moving your feet, refraining from slapping -- that's effort + bball IQ. He has room for growth in that area. (And that's not a bad thing. It's part of learning how to play at this level against better competition.)

Straight up M2M sure, but not in team defense when you’re constantly having to communicate pick and rolls and switches. Having a feel for help side defense at a higher level also takes getting used to. Everyone on this team has gotten absolutely embarrassed at times on defense, including TJD. It happens. I just don’t think there’s a large enough sample size on Gunn yet. He doesn’t have the minutes/commit enough errors to be relevant in that discussion yet. If anyone needs to get better in this system it’s JHS but even the most gifted freshman are still freshmen. 

7 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

I can’t imagine anyone who’s played /coached basketball at any level above “pee wee” agreeing with this. JHS used to be constantly praised for his “speed” control, dictating vs pressing. That’s 100% rhythm, confidence and experience. Not getting sped up, knowing where your teammates will be, knowing how defenses will react comes with floor time. 
On the defensive side, floor communication is critical when our philosophy is to switch 1-4 and often every position. If you’re not doing that at game speed on a regular basis, you’re not going to be good at it. Point being, JHS makes the same mistakes as Gunn and the only way Gunn will improve in these areas is consistent playing time. He has 5 turnovers on the season in over 130 minutes. It’s the exact TO to Minutes ratio as Galloway and Bates. Why are you picking on Gunn?

Holy cow. Wow that is wrong. 

Picking on Gunn? 

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Bates gave us nothing last night.  

6 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

Bates has been held scoreless in 3 of the last 4 games (msu obviously being the game he scored). Surprisingly we’ve won all 4. 

Frustrating to me...dude is either a hero or a zero.  To me, that player is much harder to use than the guy who consistently gets 6-10 points and plays consistent defense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoosierX said:

Based on the Minnesota player's reaction, I expected the replay to show a pretty clean play. It was not...he got a large chunk of his forearm and wrist before making any contact with the ball. Very clearly a foul that is going to be called basically every single time.

No doubt but how many times is that not called on a visiting team in the last minute of a game? Had the ref not called it, this game likely would have been a loss. 

1 hour ago, Hoosier82 said:

Race played fine on defense but TJD needed Malik’s help on the offensive end. I’d be curious to see what MR’s +/- was because neither he or Race appeared to be more effective than the other on Battle. 

Race led the team in +/- at +9. JHS and TJD +5. Kopp +4. Malik +2.

• Thanks 1

Bates is a victim of his own shot selection. He's been best as a spot up shooter for the kick out when he gets his feet set and a clean look, along with scoring some in transition. Nothing off the dribble looks like it has a prayer of going in and rarely does he get past his defender cleanly on a drive. Add to it, they don't really run anything to get him open to drive the lane or baseline. At his size, he doesn't take advantage of his defender - posting smaller defenders or driving bigger defenders. I will say he has shown more willingness to go to the boards in the past two games instead of being a spectator.

7 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Bates is a victim of his own shot selection. He's been best as a spot up shooter for the kick out when he gets his feet set and a clean look, along with scoring some in transition. Nothing off the dribble looks like it has a prayer of going in and rarely does he get past his defender cleanly on a drive. Add to it, they don't really run anything to get him open to drive the lane or baseline. At his size, he doesn't take advantage of his defender - posting smaller defenders or driving bigger defenders. I will say he has shown more willingness to go to the boards in the past two games instead of being a spectator.

IMHO...Bates is a product of poor coaching during his early years playing basketball.  He shows he can shoot beyond the arc and that ability is encouraged because it's offense and someone thought they had something special.  He's like a place kicker in football.  He needs space, time and rhythm, repetition.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, D-BONE said:

WHEW! 

Honest first thought - Big props to Minnesota for an incredible effort/performance under difficult circumstances. I thought they outhustled for major portions of the game. The team that is the aggressor in this area usually creates a lot of opportunities for itself. That and the slow-down game plan gave them a legit chance and made our life miserable.

Kopp was actually LOOKING for his shot some tonight! Hip hip hooray! He needs to stay aggressive and get looks. Too good a shooter not to utilize more in the offense.

TJD = beast.

We were fortunate to pull this one out. Let's re-focus on concentration, intensity, execution (against the zone in particular) in response to some of our weaknesses in the loss. Need to get JG and TB back to contributing ASAP.  JHS, break out of slump Saturday too please.

I think his wrist is bothering him and contributing to his slump… the wrist injury is giving me Romeo vibes where Romeo starting struggling once that wrist got injured… his shots were short. To make up for that I think he needs to elevate a little more. 

4 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

It’s obviously mindset with Bates.  Against MSU he hit a couple of free throws and he got going.  Once he gets going, his entire attitude changes.   Other times, he has trouble getting in the flow and getting going.  Last night he quickly struggled on D and he went into a funk.  If he can stabilize all of this, he can improve his consistency.  On defense, he has potential but his concentration and effort are up and down.  If he becomes consistent we are an entirely different team and a far more dynamic team.  

Very good point and I've been noticing the same. Man that first one falls and it's go time....if not he seems to struggle.

• Like 1

One thing that stood out last night - in the closing moments of the game IU actually got the two biggest rebounds. TJD with the rebound put back and Kopp (of all people) getting on the floor to really finish it. So many times over the past several seasons IU could not get the big rebound and it cost them. That was a nice change.

And when was the last time IU won four straight in the conference or even two road games in a row? We have seen many multi-game slides over the years where it seems like the season literally slipped away with 4, 5, 6 straight losses.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

One thing that stood out last night - in the closing moments of the game IU actually got the two biggest rebounds. TJD with the rebound put back and Kopp (of all people) getting on the floor to really finish it. So many times over the past several seasons IU could not get the big rebound and it cost them. That was a nice change.

And when was the last time IU won four straight in the conference or even two road games in a row? We have seen many multi-game slides over the years where it seems like the season literally slipped away with 4, 5, 6 straight losses.

First time they have won 4 BIG in a row since 2018-2019.  2015-16 was the last time they won 5.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

First time they have won 4 BIG in a row since 2018-2019.  2015-16 was the last time they won 5.

The funny thing is, that four game win streak in 2019 featured three of the same four teams we've just beaten: we beat Wisconsin at home in double OT, upset a highly ranked MSU at home, and won easily at Illinois. Rutgers at home was the last one (also the last time we beat them). 

I hope our players realize how close last night was to being a season-changer. It would have been a huge black mark on our postseason resumé, and at 13-7 with a sub-.500 conference record, the NIT talk would start up again. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

The funny thing is, that four game win streak in 2019 featured three of the same four teams we've just beaten: we beat Wisconsin at home in double OT, upset a highly ranked MSU at home, and won easily at Illinois. Rutgers at home was the last one (also the last time we beat them). 

I hope our players realize how close last night was to being a season-changer. It would have been a huge black mark on our postseason resumé, and at 13-7 with a sub-.500 conference record, the NIT talk would start up again. 

It was an all around weird game. The calls, the loose balls, the missed shots, the lack of subbing, Minny being down most of their team. I think you just take the win and move on. JHS does not look healthy though. 

10 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

It was an all around weird game. The calls, the loose balls, the missed shots, the lack of subbing, Minny being down most of their team. I think you just take the win and move on. JHS does not look healthy though. 

It definitely had all the ear markings of a L.  I prefer to look at the game as a hiccup  and file it away.  Bring on the Bucknuts and may we add some more misery to their woes.

If Race can work back into shape it would really help. I'm guessing he won't be himself for at least a couple more weeks barring a setback.

JHS looks like he's hit the wall and he's been banged up multiple times of late. The injury to X may have sped up Jalen's progress but it's also forcing him to work a lot harder than what would have been expected. The good news is, he's young. He may be able to bounce back faster. It seemed MR hit the wall about a month ago and he's starting to come back to life.

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

Completely agree. Seemed like the effort was there all around, and it felt like we were just getting unlucky with a lot of the 50/50 balls and whatnot. I don't know if there's a stat for this, but it feels like we're also getting a little unlucky with teams hitting really tough shots on us, but that could just be my bias showing. 

Also agree on JHS, which is a major problem because our backcourt, especially in the ball handling department, is pretty suspect.

On the plus side, we play really physical defense, as evidenced by the recent foul discrepancies in games, and the refs seem to swallow the whistles in the BTT, so ... 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Completely agree. Seemed like the effort was there all around, and it felt like we were just getting unlucky with a lot of the 50/50 balls and whatnot. I don't know if there's a stat for this, but it feels like we're also getting a little unlucky with teams hitting really tough shots on us, but that could just be my bias showing. 

Also agree on JHS, which is a major problem because our backcourt, especially in the ball handling department, is pretty suspect.

On the plus side, we play really physical defense, as evidenced by the recent foul discrepancies in games, and the refs seem to swallow the whistles in the BTT, so ... 

My question would be..  outside of Iowa, PSU, and NW(basically).... Do we mostly ONLY give up really tough shots? 🤷‍♂️

IMO.. the "game within the game" is simply .... shot quality. Generally, the team with better shots throughout the game(and being taken by the right people).. that team wins the game. 

As referenced in the graph shown yesterday.. (I can't remember who shared it)... it shows we get the best quality shot compared to the rest of the teams in the country. Literally the graph 100% showed that... 

I feel like... we also(outside of those 3 games I mentioned).. we do a pretty good job of making other teams take tough shots. 

So.. a product of that might be that it SEEMS teams hit more tough shots against? Idk.  Makes sense in my head.  

• Like 3

On 1/26/2023 at 3:26 PM, AxnJxn said:

Was it Hummel doing the color last night? I was watching but not paying super close attention to the play by play/audio, but Hummel kept repeating Minny was out hustling us for the 50/50 balls and I would say half of the ones Minny got literally slipped through our fingers. I kept saying (and texting to my friends) I don't agree, most of those were really very close to being our ball, getting stolen or blocked by us or whatever. Very weird game. Glad we found a way to win. Moving on with a W. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

My question would be..  outside of Iowa, PSU, and NW(basically).... Do we mostly ONLY give up really tough shots? 🤷‍♂️

IMO.. the "game within the game" is simply .... shot quality. Generally, the team with better shots throughout the game(and being taken by the right people).. that team wins the game. 

As referenced in the graph shown yesterday.. (I can't remember who shared it)... it shows we get the best quality shot compared to the rest of the teams in the country. Literally the graph 100% showed that... 

I feel like... we also(outside of those 3 games I mentioned).. we do a pretty good job of making other teams take tough shots. 

So.. a product of that might be that it SEEMS teams hit more tough shots against? Idk.  Makes sense in my head.  

I know the first portion of the Wisky game, there were a number of "you gotta be kidding me" shots, and it seemed like there were an inordinate number last night, too. I guess it just feels like we're playing even better defense than is shown in the stats, at least from the start of that Wisky game. 

2 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Was it Hummel doing the color last night? I was watching but not paying super close attention to the play by play/audio, but Hummel kept repeating that Minny was out hustling us for the 50/50 balls and I would say half of the ones Minny got literally slipped through our fingers. I kept saying (and texting to my friends) I don't agree, most of those were really very close to being our ball, getting stolen, or getting blocked or whatever. Very weird game. Glad we found a way to win. Moving on with a W. 

Yah, Hummel, and I really enjoy him on the broadcasts, but also didn't agree with him on the 50/50 opinion. I think last night is one of those games where you don't really learn anything, and that's ok because you escaped with a W. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Was it Hummel doing the color last night? I was watching but not paying super close attention to the play by play/audio, but Hummel kept repeating that Minny was out hustling us for the 50/50 balls and I would say half of the ones Minny got literally slipped through our fingers. I kept saying (and texting to my friends) I don't agree, most of those were really very close to being our ball, getting stolen, or getting blocked or whatever. Very weird game. Glad we found a way to win. Moving on with a W. 

Very much my impression. There were very few of those lose balls where they out-hustled us. We just got bad bounces, especially in the first half. If you flip a coin a dozen times before every game, there will be a couple times a season where heads loses 10-2. That's what happened last night. It doesn't mean heads was out-hustled. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Very much my impression. There were very few of those lose balls where they out-hustled us. We just got bad bounces, especially in the first half. If you flip a coin a dozen times before every game, there will be a couple times a season where heads loses 10-2. That's what happened last night. It doesn't mean heads was out-hustled. 

Thank you! I just thought it was weird he kept saying that. I was like "are we watching the same game?"

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

IDK. There have been too many times this year and last night when opposing players dive on the floor for a loose ball and the IU player bends over to try to pick it up. Maybe after seeing XJ and Race go down they are afraid of contact. Kopp was the exception at the end last night. Also, too many times we aren’t strong securing a rebound and give up cheap putbacks

• Like 1