Northwestern II Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Wednesday February 15th 9:00 pm EST 

Where: Welsh-Ryan Arena, Evanston, Illinois

TV: BTN

Indiana visits Evanston to take on the 17-7 (8-5 in Big Ten) Wildcats looking to avenge a 1 point (but it really wasn't that close) loss to Northwestern in January. That was a game where the Hoosiers were coming off a loss at Iowa and losing Senior leader Race Thompson. The Cats have a game today at home versus Purdue...

Northwestern's last 12 games...

image.png.8f3baf5668ffdf34b6a816c1474f8227.png

The Wildcats have had their troubles on their home floor losing to Ohio State, Rutgers, and Michigan. 

Boxscore from the January game

image.png.7bbb7d229c4867cf8341e767e2569d99.png

image.png.4d3cac6f24ac7195ea0006238093dbe8.png

Offensively, we played pretty well...But giving up 84 points killed us. 4 of the 5 Northewestern starters scored in double figures. 

image.png.ed62c832038367242e3c3d1603b77520.png

The Wildcats have put the same starting 5 on the floor (Audige, Buie, Beran, Berry, and Nicholson) in every game they've played this year. 

Boo Buie and Chase Audige just flat killed us in the January game, combining for 45 points. Buie in particular seemed to be able to get to the rim at will. We have to stay in front of him.

Surprisingly, that game was one of the best offensive games JHS has played Boo Buie had that assignment last time, but Audige, one of the top contenders for Big 10 Defensive PoY might this time.. Hopefully, Jalen can duplicate that effort. Berry and Beran can both hit the 3 although neither shoots over 35% from behind the arc. Northwestern is currently 10th in ORtg and 3rd in DRtg. Like us, they hang their hat on defense, though we shot over 50% both overall and from 3. They got to the FT line 28 times (made 19) to our 14 (made 10). That, coupled with 16 turnovers, 6 of them steals by Audige, doomed us. 

I feel pretty good about this one. I think last time out, we were still getting over the loss of Race (and to a lesser extent, XJ). We've adjusted, and have been playing solid basketball. I'd like to see Trayce have another stellar game, but others (JHS, Galloway, and Bates) have to step up...We can definitely win this one...

GO HOOSIERS!

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

48 minutes ago, Reacher said:

It was the steals that cost us. If we keep turnovers in single digits, we should win

I don’t know about “should” man. Northwestern is a pretty decent team. I definitely think we’re better on a neutral court for sure, but in their building we better be locked in. Limit turnovers and let me see the bulldog defense we’re capable of. I want to see an attitude, like this is payback. 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I don’t know about “should” man. Northwestern is a pretty decent team. I definitely think we’re better on a neutral court for sure, but in their building we better be locked in. Limit turnovers and let me see the bulldog defense we’re capable of. I want to see an attitude, like this is payback. 

Well, it’s usually 45% IU fans in Welsh Arena 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Well, it’s usually 45% IU fans in Welsh Arena 

True... The 7 or 8 years I went, the whole upper tier was 80% IU fans...the year Rod Wilmont went off on them, it was very loud! 

I got a smile out of Coach Davis once before a game there by telling him "we got numbers on em, Coach" as they came out of the locker room for pre game warm-ups... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 6

Unofficial Depth/Injury Report 

Northwestern is aiming to make their 2nd ever NCAA Tournament this season if they finish off strong. Northwestern has used its same starting 5, as they are one of the better defensive powers in the B10 this year. Offensively, they are like #95 in the Kenpom. Starting off, 6’9 215 F Robbie Beran (has been a decent player for the Cats, 8.9 PPG), 7’0 255 C Matt Nicholson (Leads teams in rebounds), 6’3 185 G Ty Berry (One of NW’s best rebounders), 6’2 185 Boo Buie (NW’s leading scorer, best player, and get hot quick), and 6’4 200 Chase Audige (NW’s best defensive player, 2nd leading scorer, and likely B10 DPOY). Minutes distributed is fair between Beran (28.4 MPG), Berry (26 MPG), and Nicholson (20 MPG). However, Audige and Buie mainly play for about 34+ MPG if they stay out of foul trouble. They do not turnover the ball a lot in Conference play, but like us, they foul a lot too averaging around 16.6 fouls per game.

They like to play at least 8 deep from the bench and it’s usually 6’6 215 G Brooks Barnhizer (Increased his role), 6’9 235 F Tydus Verhoeven (Subs in for Beran and Nicholson), and 6’3 180 G Julian Roper (NW’s best 3 pointer shooter, but has been facing injuries). 6’7 200 F Nick Martinelli has been seeing playing time due to Roper.

Injury report-

G Julius Roper- Will have missed 3 straight games (Not playing against Purdue) due to screwing up his ankle

F Luke Hunger- Out for the rest of the season

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

True... The 7 or 8 years I went, the whole upper tier was 80% IU fans...the year Rod Wilmont went off on them, it was very loud! 

I got a smile out of Coach Davis once before a game there by telling him "we got numbers on em, Coach" as they came out of the locker room for pre game warm-ups... 

I've been to a few there. If it was a weekend game I likely would have went this year. Hate getting there. So inaccessible. 

• Like 3

Critical to get this one if we want to hold onto 2nd place in conference. 

5-1 or better to end season, we get 2nd place. 

4-2 to end season and it could possibly come down to a tiebreaker.  But, with PU and MSU left on the road, it increases the importance of this one to achieve the 4-2 finish.

3-3 to end season, and 2nd place is highly unlikely.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Critical to get this one if we want to hold onto 2nd place in conference. 

5-1 or better to end season, we get 2nd place. 

4-2 to end season and it could possibly come down to a tiebreaker.  But, with PU and MSU left on the road, it increases the importance of this one to achieve the 4-2 finish.

3-3 to end season, and 2nd place is highly unlikely.

1.5 games separate the 2d and 9th place teams in the B1G.  Not much room for error.  Don't remember anything like this late in the season in the B1G.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

6’6 215 G Brooks Barnhizer (Increased his role)

Excellent point...He had a career high 19 against Ohio State last game out...4-7 from 3 (though he's only a 27%  3 point shooter) and was a huge factor in their win in Columbus...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Excellent point...He had a career high 19 against Ohio State last game out...4-7 from 3 (though he's only a 27%  3 point shooter) and was a huge factor in their win in Columbus...

He also increased all of his stats from last year to this year. Went from averaging 1.6 PPG to 6.8 PPG and 4.4 RPG, nearly an 18% increase in FG% (23% to 41%), and doesn’t turn it over much

Edited by Hoosierfan1901
  • Like 1

Just now, bluegrassIU said:

So much for separation. The game now takes on a higher level of importance. 

Winner gets the clear postion of 2nd place and still in legit shot to chase down PU.

Feels great to be in this position again. In recent memory we hoped other teams would lose but right now we control our own destiny. What a great place to be!!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I'd like to play them again in our building, just sayin"....

• Like 1