Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

16 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

If there were 2-3 high level guys who wanted to play for CMW last year, I would hope we’d take our time and not fill our roster with non Power 6 players 

I was thinking that a few hours ago.  I would love a few guys that at least 1. Won a lot at a lower level or 2. Win in March somehow somewhere.  Man, the sec has some dudes.  

So, I didn't know where else to put this, so I'm putting it here...And I'm sure there'll be some disagreement, but that's what forums are for, right?

As it stands, we'll have 10 scholarship players coming back, and that includes JHS, even though if I had to bet, I'd bet NBA bound...But until he makes that declaration, he's a Hoosier...

And we have 2 kids coming in, so that puts us at 12...So we have one opening...

I posted this the other day, but bringing it back as part of my overall point...Here are last years Transfer Rankings as far as the Big 10 goes from 2022...

image.png.d8dacc67888820f286ef65e94b60a877.png

Notice anything? Of the top 9, only 2 made the tournament, and one of them is already out...The bottom 5 are essentially the top of our conference...

So I think Coach Woodson's mindset on what our culture is and should be, is that we recruit well, we develop our players well, and we don't "force" anyone out to clear room for transfers. If you want a "family" type culture, you surely don't throw relatives out to make room for strangers, no matter how talented they are...Should we force a kid like Anthony Leal out to get a coveted transfer? Not in my book you don't because you're messing with team chemistry, and you're exposing your hypocrisy on the whole "family" thing...Anthony Leal is important to this team in more ways than what he does on the floor...

So while I understand we have needs at certain positions, I'll never be into the "transfer culture" that some seem to embrace. If we have kids who want to leave to gain playing time elsewhere, fine...But I think Mike Woodson is honest with our kids...It's an open competition, and you can gain time by being productive in practices, and gain even more time by doing what we want of you in games...

If we do use the open scholly (or 2 depending on what JHS does) on transfers, be judicious, and let that kid know he's got to find his place in the pecking order. His time on the floor during games next year will be determined on how he performs in practices. There's not a thing wrong with competition...

My 2 cents for what its worth... :) 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ButlerHoosier said:

Supposedly they are trying to get investors to contribute enough money through the NIL to make him stay another year. It would be hilarious if we could offer him alot more NIL and get him to come here. Haha. 

$10,000 from PU or $250,000 from IU... :coffee:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ButlerHoosier said:

Supposedly they are trying to get investors to contribute enough money through the NIL to make him stay another year. It would be hilarious if we could offer him alot more NIL and get him to come here. Haha. 

I’ve heard he doesn’t like being in school so if he’s got a chance to get drafted at all he might go. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So, I didn't know where else to put this, so I'm putting it here...And I'm sure there'll be some disagreement, but that's what forums are for, right?

As it stands, we'll have 10 scholarship players coming back, and that includes JHS, even though if I had to bet, I'd bet NBA bound...But until he makes that declaration, he's a Hoosier...

And we have 2 kids coming in, so that puts us at 12...So we have one opening...

I posted this the other day, but bringing it back as part of my overall point...Here are last years Transfer Rankings as far as the Big 10 goes from 2022...

image.png.d8dacc67888820f286ef65e94b60a877.png

Notice anything? Of the top 9, only 2 made the tournament, and one of them is already out...The bottom 5 are essentially the top of our conference...

So I think Coach Woodson's mindset on what our culture is and should be, is that we recruit well, we develop our players well, and we don't "force" anyone out to clear room for transfers. If you want a "family" type culture, you surely don't throw relatives out to make room for strangers, no matter how talented they are...Should we force a kid like Anthony Leal out to get a coveted transfer? Not in my book you don't because you're messing with team chemistry, and you're exposing your hypocrisy on the whole "family" thing...Anthony Leal is important to this team in more ways than what he does on the floor...

So while I understand we have needs at certain positions, I'll never be into the "transfer culture" that some seem to embrace. If we have kids who want to leave to gain playing time elsewhere, fine...But I think Mike Woodson is honest with our kids...It's an open competition, and you can gain time by being productive in practices, and gain even more time by doing what we want of you in games...

If we do use the open scholly (or 2 depending on what JHS does) on transfers, be judicious, and let that kid know he's got to find his place in the pecking order. His time on the floor during games next year will be determined on how he performs in practices. There's not a thing wrong with competition...

My 2 cents for what its worth... :) 

TJD, Miller , Race definitely gone. JHS probably. X maybe. That’s possibly 5 of 13 gone. Read comments on this board or BTOWN Banners , can’t remember which, that Duncomb not com

• Like 1

….coming back. Wonder if Geronimo might want to transfer as not playing much. ( hope not) could have up to 7 openings minus the two incoming freshmen. Transfers OK , Just bring in 1 year transfers  to allow for ‘24. Woody not kicking off Leal or anybody else. Not seen any indication that would happen. We’ll need some quick infusion next year I think.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WRSMick55 said:

….coming back. Wonder if Geronimo might want to transfer as not playing much. ( hope not) could have up to 7 openings minus the two incoming freshmen. Transfers OK , Just bring in 1 year transfers  to allow for ‘24. Woody not kicking off Leal or anybody else. Not seen any indication that would happen. We’ll need some quick infusion next year I think.

Oh I don't believe for a second he won't tell one or two to take a hike. I don't think Leal should be included in those one or two, either. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, WRSMick55 said:

TJD, Miller , Race definitely gone. JHS probably. X maybe. That’s possibly 5 of 13 gone. Read comments on this board or BTOWN Banners , can’t remember which, that Duncomb not com

9 minutes ago, WRSMick55 said:

Yes, I understand that, but I always tend to go with the situation as it stands...

Edited by IUFLA