IU vs Miami Post Game

ButlerHoosier

21 hours ago, SawatchHoosier said:

For me the turning point was coming out of the Tv timeout down 55-51 and we drew up really good play to get Kopp open and the ball went halfway down the cylinder and bounced out. I swear that shot goes in 99 out 100 times. I believe the next time up the court Miami hit a clanker three that wouldn't go in 99 out of 100 times.

💯 easily could have flipped those 2 

Wilson 🏀 is sticky 

gets caught between rim & backboard all the time 

• Like 1

We had these games where we’d lose 50/50 balls or in general had less energy.  It would manifest itself on the defensive end or in rebounding etc.  If you defend and hit the boards you can be competitive in most games.  I hope our analytics guys are doing a deep dive into this.  We sure don’t seem sharp on quick turnaround games the past couple of years.   No sense in being in denial. Do self-scouting and fix why.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The thing is it wasn't a rhythm 3 pointers , he rushed it and was going forward instead of going up and down. I love the 3 on a fast break but not off the dribble especially for Kopp. It is better if it is a kickout and the shooter can just catch and shoot

Well.. the thing is... it was and it certainly wasnt rushed. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We had these games where we’d lose 50/50 balls or in general had less energy.  It would manifest itself on the defensive end or in rebounding etc.  If you defend and hit the boards you can be competitive in most games.  I hope our analytics guys are doing a deep dive into this.  We sure don’t seem sharp on quick turnaround games the past couple of years.   No sense in being in denial. Do self-scouting and fix why.  

We aren't quick enough. It wasn't a "try harder" issue many times, and it certainly wasnt the other night. They have quicker players/better athletes. That shows itself more when the game is played in space. We need more of those guys. 

Kopp, Thompson, Bates, JHS, Malik even.. just aren't overly quick to react/have the physical tools at times to beat someone to a long rebound. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

No sense in being in denial. Do self-scouting and fix why.  

The why in IMO is that TJD was constantly switched onto guards pulling our best rebounder away from the basket. We choose to allow extra possessions instead of getting murdered at the 3 point line going under screens. Additionally, Race was not the man he used to be before the knee injury. His hops and 2nd jump were significantly diminished after the sprain.

Could we have put another rebounder in for Kopp or Galloway who have been pretty bad at getting boards this year? Yes, but that would have been at the expense of an offense that already lacked fire power. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

The why in IMO is that TJD was constantly switched onto guards pulling our best rebounder away from the basket. We choose to allow extra possessions instead of getting murdered at the 3 point line going under screens. Additionally, Race was not the man he used to be before the knee injury. His hops and 2nd jump were significantly diminished after the sprain.

Could we have put another rebounder in for Kopp or Galloway who have been pretty bad at getting boards this year? Yes, but that would have been at the expense of an offense that already lacked fire power. 

This is a really good way to summarize it. Plus..XJ was solid at getting long boards/boards in general. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

I love Galloway's game in many ways.  I haven't given up on Bates.  I know some people are down on his 0-13 but he does have tools and I could see him putting it together.  These guys have good experience now.

I would like to see us get seniors at the 2, 4, and 3 positions, in that order.  Outside shooter at the 2, a stretch 4 who can shoot and rebound, and a slashing 3 who brings big time athleticism.  A couple of those guys need to be able to score.  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This is a really good way to summarize it. Plus..XJ was solid at getting long boards/boards in general. 

XJ brings tremendous energy and toughness.  He's a superb defender.  We missed him and will help next year.  I agree with you on team quickness.  A little more burst will help with loose balls.  I would not question the desire of any of our guys.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

XJ brings tremendous energy and toughness.  He's a superb defender.  We missed him and will help next year.  I agree with you on team quickness.  A little more burst will help with loose balls.  I would not question the desire of any of our guys.

Bob, do you think XJ coming back next year to IU is a cinch ?  Realistically we have no chance of winning NCAA.  Seems to me that he would want to fill a spot on a team that needs an experienced pg to get them to the promised land.

21 minutes ago, Rogermci said:

Bob, do you think XJ coming back next year to IU is a cinch ?  Realistically we have no chance of winning NCAA.  Seems to me that he would want to fill a spot on a team that needs an experienced pg to get them to the promised land.

I'd put the probability at 99.9999%  Several people who seem to understand the medical redshirt have indicated that it's an automatic if he wants it given the number of games he missed.

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We had these games where we’d lose 50/50 balls or in general had less energy.  It would manifest itself on the defensive end or in rebounding etc.  If you defend and hit the boards you can be competitive in most games. 

We lack quickness. However, a lot was fundamental. We don't block out well at all. Also, we have a middle school mentality of attempting to dribble a loose ball. We aren't strong with the ball. There were so many times I saw other players throughout the conference tourneys and NCAAT who would grip and rip a loose ball. They weren't going to be denied. Also, I could almost list the times this season that an IU player dove on the floor for a loose ball.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

We lack quickness. However, a lot was fundamental. We don't block out well at all. Also, we have a middle school mentality of attempting to dribble a loose ball. We aren't strong with the ball. There were so many times I saw other players throughout the conference tourneys and NCAAT who would grip and rip a loose ball. They weren't going to be denied. Also, I could almost list the times this season that an IU player dove on the floor for a loose ball.

Agree 100%... And, beside Malik, took a charge...

I'd be willing to bet though he was 8th on the team in minutes played, he led our team in taking charges by a wide margin 

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I'd put the probability at 99.9999%  Several people who seem to understand the medical redshirt have indicated that it's an automatic if he wants it given the number of games he missed.

I don't think he's asking if he will be back. I think he's asking if he'll be back at IU.

I have wondered the same thing.  Are we safe in assuming XJ wants to play in Bloomington next year without an experienced team around him?

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I don't think he's asking if he will be back. I think he's asking if he'll be back at IU.

I have wondered the same thing.  Are we safe in assuming XJ wants to play in Bloomington next year without an experienced team around him?

1 hour ago, Rogermci said:

That's what I'm thinking.  He'll more than likely wanna play for a Championship contender.  We will not be in that category next year.

Screenshot_20230321-155621.thumb.png.3d3314b5502f7dd0f7a912b818543aca.png

No ambiguity there

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I like hearing this but is there something else besides the 30% threshold that gives these people all this confidence? 11 games played out of 35 is .314% according to my calculator. If it's 10 games because they don't think Kansas will count it's .285%.

Just curious.

3 hours ago, Rogermci said:

That's what I'm thinking.  He'll more than likely wanna play for a Championship contender.  We will not be in that category next year.

No offense but he didn’t come to IU to play on a championship contender. We weren’t close when he came and we still aren’t. He came to play in a pro style offense where the keys were turned over to him in a highly visible conference and likely because he had connections to the coaching staff. Nothing has changed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

We won’t know how close we are to contending for a championship until the off-season is over. Let Woody do his work before anointing us as NIT participants. 

I was about say the same thing. How does anyone know if we won’t be a championship caliber team next year? I trust Woody to bring us talent to complete at a high level. 

• Like 4