IU vs Miami Post Game

ButlerHoosier

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Kids a 45% 3pt shooter, shooting an in rhythm wide open 3... I'll take it every possesion. 

It's a good shot, it's just kind of an awkward look for Kopp, since almost all of his outside shots are spot up attempts and this one was off the dribble and he was kind of falling forward on it. Certainly worth the risk, and I have no issue with him taking it, but missing the shot also played right into Miami's strategy to speed the game up. Certainly one of the pivotal points in the game overall.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

It's a good shot, it's just kind of an awkward look for Kopp, since almost all of his outside shots are spot up attempts and this one was off the dribble and he was kind of falling forward on it. Certainly worth the risk, and I have no issue with him taking it, but missing the shot also played right into Miami's strategy to speed the game up. Certainly one of the pivotal points in the game overall.

If it was, we allowed that to happen. 

Race, Trey and Miller played well, IMO. Malik did nothing in his 10 minutes but that wasn't a factor.

To me there are two players that contributed to the loss.

JHS did not play defense, run the offense and was a very inefficient 8-22 from the field (3 of 11 from 3). What would have happened if 10 of his shots went to TJD (who was 7-10)?

Trayce. As much as I love him, his lack of intensity on D and effort in rebounding were problematic.

Our 2 leaders didn't set the tone on D. If we were going to win, Defense was going to have to be our calling card as it was all season.  They imposed their will on us instead of the other way around. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Kids a 45% 3pt shooter, shooting an in rhythm wide open 3... I'll take it every possesion. 

The thing is it wasn't a rhythm 3 pointers , he rushed it and was going forward instead of going up and down. I love the 3 on a fast break but not off the dribble especially for Kopp. It is better if it is a kickout and the shooter can just catch and shoot

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

The thing is it wasn't a rhythm 3 pointers , he rushed it and was going forward instead of going up and down. I love the 3 on a fast break but not off the dribble especially for Kopp. It is better if it is a kickout and the shooter can just catch and shoot

That shot looked like an attempted "buzzer beater".

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Indykev said:

Well I stayed away from here before, during and after the game. I had a feeling we would come out flat, give no effort, while their quick guards blew by ours.

REBOUNDING is EFFORT!!! We let 6'4 and 6'5 guys kick our ass on the glass. Our 3 and 4 men are the worst rebounder's in the history of basketball. I'm glad they are gone! Yes I said it. JHS is NOT A PRO!! yet. Woody needs to put the brakes on this kid if he returns. Teach what a damn good shot is.

Addition by subtraction, T.Bates, JG, Duncomb, Leal, Hit the portal, you are a waste of time and scholly's. Simple, you bring nothing to this team, you don't belong here. I'm tired of watching crap effort in the biggest games of the year. Harsh, nope, these kids make big money, EARN IT!!

The portal better be kind to Woodson or next year we finish at the bottom of the Big Ten with whats left on this team and whats coming in. Awful.

You should have stayed away a bit longer.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

It's fair to consider if some rotation players fit.  It's a little harsh to pass judgment on end of the bench players that have as of yet, not grown into an opportunity to fit.  I give freshmen rotation players and end of bench players a pass.  I feel a bit differently about regular rotation players here for 2-3 years and still not really contributing beyond a few cupcake games.

We'll soon see what Woody thinks of their contributions.

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

That shot looked like an attempted "buzzer beater".

Yes, terrible decision and worse execution about 7 feet behind the line after we had grabbed the momentum. Followed by a couple of possessions of poor shot selection by JHS. After climbing back into the game and taking the momentum, we just went brain dead again for about 3-4 minutes and let Miami take control again. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

When does Kopp hit 3's that look like the one he took?  What he threw up there isn't his shot.  He could have his back turned to the rim and throw it over his head from the 3 point line and that is technically a 3 pointer from a wide open 45% shooter too.

What he threw up there was an ugly shot and it wasn't his typical game.  He probably wishes he could have that one back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

It's fair to consider if some rotation players fit.  It's a little harsh to pass judgment on end of the bench players that have as of yet, not grown into an opportunity to fit.  I give freshmen rotation players and end of bench players a pass.  I feel a bit differently about regular rotation players here for 2-3 years and still not really contributing beyond a few cupcake games.

We'll soon see what Woody thinks of their contributions.

Leal, Gunn, and Banks shouldn't be going anywhere.  The guys you have to question are Geronimo, Duncomb, and Bates.  Duncomb has been here two years and it isn't clear if he is even getting much practice time with his health issues.  Normally I would look as a guy like him as a potential positive in having two years in the program and practicing against Race and Trayce for much of that time.  It isn't clear how much of that he really got.  He is a known commodity and has size though so unless we got something great in the portal you maybe keep him too.

To me we are losing 4 to 6 players most likely. We have the two freshman coming in.  So anywhere from 2 to 4 portal guys...it just feels like we have so many needs though unless some of the people who couldn't get in the games this year suddenly have the lights go on.

31 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

When does Kopp hit 3's that look like the one he took?  What he threw up there isn't his shot.  He could have his back turned to the rim and throw it over his head from the 3 point line and that is technically a 3 pointer from a wide open 45% shooter too.

What he threw up there was an ugly shot and it wasn't his typical game.  He probably wishes he could have that one back.

I doubt it. Other than missing it. 

Edited by btownqb

17 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

X’s loss was very much missed this game. He would have most likely covered Wong or Miller. Miami out hustled us and obviously out rebounded us. They just played two steps faster than us and IMO really appeared to want it more. Im not saying we didn’t want it. We go put on our heels early and never really recovered. I’m not going to be one of these pi$$ed off IU fans and throw players under the bus. Tonight just wasn’t our night. We have so much look forward too, even for next year. Thank you TJD, Race and Miller!! I’m very proud of this team despite this loss and proud to be a Hoosier!

Hey! You stole my line!!!

👍

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, BGleas said:

The difference between going to sleep at 2am and 5am is a big one. 

I don't disagree whatsoever that 1 am is too late for a game to end. But to try to say that was the problem is just making bad excuses. I watched Ben Davis play at noon Saturday then again at 8 that night and they handled it just fine.

Cannot blame it all on the late start Friday and then again last night, although the NCAA should have enough smarts to schedule the late games at venues in the west.

My biggest problem last night was that Miami played harder than IU.  They wanted the game more and it showed.  Never in my wildest dreams did I think being severely out rebounded, specially on the defensive glass, would be our biggest weakness.  That, and not having enough speed to keep up with quick guards.

This should be the focus of Woodson's off season.  Look for fast, quick guards as well as someone to take Trayce's place.  Not sure the bigs we have can cut it.  Also, even if we get X back healthy, we need a few more really quick guys who can defend and also shoot.  We will have no consistent outside shooters next year except for Galloway, who really doesn't shoot that much.  We need a quicker, deadlier team going forward.

1 hour ago, Basketball Junkie said:

I don't disagree whatsoever that 1 am is too late for a game to end. But to try to say that was the problem is just making bad excuses. I watched Ben Davis play at noon Saturday then again at 8 that night and they handled it just fine.

If you've seen my posts in the game thread and this thread, you know I wasn't saying this is why we lost. We got thoroughly outplayed. 

But, I think the lack of sleep absolutely contributed to our being a step slow last night. Their superior athleticism also contributed. 

But if you've ever taken a red eye, which going to bed at 5am the next day is basically equivalent too, you're basically a zombie that next day and still recovering the following day. 

It is 100% not ideal or conducive at all to rest and recovery, and it's crap that our team was put in that position basically twp years in a row. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, HoosierGirlinTucson said:

I don’t have a subscription to the Indy Star, but I saw a headline for an article by a guy named Doyle. He said we just witnessed an IU team quit in an NCAA tournament game. 

I hato to say it but he’s more right than wrong. If anyone can link the article, that would be cool. 

This one still stings.

Doyel is the print version of Dakich, minus any actual experience.

Nobody "quit" - they got out hustled and simply beaten by better players.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Doyel is the print version of Dakich, minus any actual experience.

Nobody "quit" - they got out hustled and simply beaten by better players.

…Doyle is good about creating “Salty” headlines after a loss. He’s Dakich’s print version clone. He loves that attention no matter who it’s pointed at. 

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, HoosierGirlinTucson said:

I don’t have a subscription to the Indy Star, but I saw a headline for an article by a guy named Doyle. He said we just witnessed an IU team quit in an NCAA tournament game. 

I hato to say it but he’s more right than wrong. If anyone can link the article, that would be cool. 

This one still stings.

He is a hack

• Like 1