IU vs Miami Post Game

ButlerHoosier

4 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

Also the big issue 0 bench points…. What I thought our biggest strength going into the year was turned out being our biggest weakness. Geronimo and Bates never developed. Duccomb looked decent pre season but… Ya that ship is long sailed. Leal never played. Reneau will get better. So it raises the question. How do we go forward with better bench play? We can’t have this type of bench play going forward or our guys with be dead legged by Mid February.

I'll get into this more in one of the offseason threads, but unless someone unexpectedly returns, I think we only have 4 players coming back that Woodson trusts (XJ, Reneau, Galloway, and Banks).  He really needs to hit a home run on 3-4 transfer portal players and get contributions from at least one of the 2 incoming freshmen,  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

Sort of sounds like he’s not pleased with some of the coaches’ performances. I like that he called himself out too. I wouldn’t be surprised with a new face or two on the bench next season. 

I don't read it that way.  I think he's taking ownership for the deficiencies of some of the players.  

• Like 7

Just now, 5fouls said:

I'll get into this more in one of the offseason threads, but unless someone unexpectedly returns, I think we only have 4 players coming back that Woodson trusts (XJ, Reneau, Galloway, and Banks).  He really needs to hit a home run on 3-4 transfer portal players and get contributions from at least one of the 2 incoming freshmen,  

Agree.

What does he say to Bates? He obviously was willing to play him meaningful minutes, but was rewarded with absolutely nothing on the offensive end. Is there grace and compassion, or does the harsh reality of results rear it’s head?

We were basically a two horse team for most of the season, but the XJ injury played a major hand in the “what if” department. It does seem as if we’re snake bitten from an injury perspective. Scott May and Alan Henderson could’ve resulted in banners. I still think that the 2012 team, not the 2013 favorites, could’ve made the UK game very interesting with a healthy Verdell Jones. He played extremely well his senior season and played great against UK in the Wat Shot game. We lost by 12 points in a barn burner because Jordy was stuck guarding Teague most of the game. Snake bitten!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Agree.

What does he say to Bates? He obviously was willing to play him meaningful minutes, but was rewarded with absolutely nothing on the offensive end. Is there grace and compassion, or does the harsh reality of results rear it’s head?

I think Woodson will evaluate the portal if he thinks he can find someone better then I think he’ll move on. Like I said I think 3 guys leave. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't read it that way.  I think he's taking ownership for the deficiencies of some of the players.  

Yes, this is classic Woodson speak.  He never blames others in public but takes ownership himself.   He won't hesitate to hold players and coaches responsible in private.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

Well, the other team had 2 days to get right and wasn't up for essentially 36 hours leading into that 3/4's of a day (meaning today)  

That stuff matters. It's sounding like you've never stayed awake all night. It can take a day or two to just feel semi-normal. 

Miami's game ended at roughly 10:30. Which would have made them up until 2-3 am. 2 hours. Not quite as drastic as you want to believe.

Obviously a disappointing end, especially when it feels like you got outhustled, particularly on the defensive end with respect to rebounding. It also seemed like we weren’t staying grounded on defense, where shot fakes had us out of position most of the night. Weird. Wonder if that was something they saw on the scouting report?

As for Kopp’s shot, i didn’t mind the shot itself, but it didn’t look fundamentally sound - he kind of jumped forward into it, which isn’t really his normal shooting motion. That shot doesn’t make the top 5 of worst shots of the night, though. 

Have to be excited with where the program is now, after two seasons of checking off milestones. We’re losing a lot, but with the transfer portal, that can be fixed rapidly instead of waiting for recruits to mature. Bummer of a loss, but feel pretty positive for the future. 

6 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

Sort of sounds like he’s not pleased with some of the coaches’ performances. I like that he called himself out too. I wouldn’t be surprised with a new face or two on the bench next season. 

I was thinking about this. Probably a topic for offseason, but have you notice that when we beat good teams, the players give credit to the coaching staff for a good game plan. However, Coach Ya is the only one i seem to remember getting thanked. That leads me to think that other coaches are not making great scouting and gameplan reports.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, John S said:

Imo, if jhs goes, its his mistake.  He has a lot to learn on D especially.  His dribbling extravaganzas seem to impress people. But hes young and could learn a lot from another year.  

He is waaayyyy too inconsistent... NBA guards are his size and better..he might have it later but NBA is a business and later doesnt exist . 

7 hours ago, Huntnfreak said:

A little late to show emotion now!! That’s been this team’s problem all year. Play with that emotion..don’t save it for the locker room!!! Ugh….

What a ridiculous statement. Not every player shows their emotions on the court the same way. There have been plenty of good/great IU players that played with a more calm/focused demeanor.

I've only witnessed one player in all my years watching IU that I questioned if they really even cared to be there and that was Noah Vonleh.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MSHoosier said:

I was thinking about this. Probably a topic for offseason, but have you notice that when we beat good teams, the players give credit to the coaching staff for a good game plan. However, Coach Ya is the only one i seem to remember getting thanked. That leads me to think that other coaches are not making great scouting and gameplan reports.

That’s exactly how I took it.

Tough way to end a good year. When X and Race went down, I don’t think there was anyone here that would have thought we’d end up with the season we had. Props to this team for working hard to get us back on track. Props to CMW and staff for not letting the players sink, but pushing them to levels we haven’t seen for several years.

That said, we play Miami 10 times, we lose 8 of them. At four positions they had quicker players than us. We could not keep them in front of us and thus we had multiple situations where players had to leave their man to help causing easy buckets or second chance buckets. The 5th position on the floor was not able to match the strength of his counterpart. Couldn’t hold him off and allowed too many rebounds. Our guys played hard, but for one of the few, maybe only times this year, we’re physically overmatched at all 5 positions 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Tough way to end a good year. When X and Race went down, I don’t think there was anyone here that would have thought we’d end up with the season we had. Props to this team for working hard to get us back on track. Props to CMW and staff for not letting the players sink, but pushing them to levels we haven’t seen for several years.

That said, we play Miami 10 times, we lose 8 of them. At four positions they had quicker players than us. We could not keep them in front of us and thus we had multiple situations where players had to leave their man to help causing easy buckets or second chance buckets. The 5th position on the floor was not able to match the strength of his counterpart. Couldn’t hold him off and allowed too many rebounds. Our guys played hard, but for one of the few, maybe only times this year, we’re physically overmatched at all 5 positions 

Jim Larranaga is a really good coach...He had them prepared for us...Fronting TJD right off the bat threw us, and Trayce didn't get his hands on the ball until the 5th or 6th possession...I love JHS, but as a freshman, his ability to see what's being presented by the other team, and adjusting HIS team was an area that needs improvement...It's the basic function of a point guard, and something Woody had XJ improving on a lot last year...

Just a couple of other thoughts...The Miller Kopp 3 off the turnover was a bad shot...If you watched him this year, he's uber effective when his feet are set and the pass is where he can catch and shoot...I know he was trying to fire us up, but...

Tamar had a rough game...He's another one that needs to put some time in on footwork and being ready to shoot when he gets it...But I think he's an important piece moving forward...

This is one of the saddest days of the year for me...The day after the final IU game of the season...I think we have a solid base to start with next year...Can't get here soon enough for me :) 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Jim Larranaga is a really good coach...He had them prepared for us...Fronting TJD right off the bat threw us, and Trayce didn't get his hands on the ball until the 5th or 6th possession...I love JHS, but as a freshman, his ability to see what's being presented by the other team, and adjusting HIS team was an area that needs improvement...It's the basic function of a point guard, and something Woody had XJ improving on a lot last year...

Just a couple of other thoughts...The Miller Kopp 3 off the turnover was a bad shot...If you watched him this year, he's uber effective when his feet are set and the pass is where he can catch and shoot...I know he was trying to fire us up, but...

Tamar had a rough game...He's another one that needs to put some time in on footwork and being ready to shoot when he gets it...But I think he's an important piece moving forward...

This is one of the saddest days of the year for me...The day after the final IU game of the season...I think we have a solid base to start with next year...Can't get here soon enough for me :) 

Agreed on all points. Tamar is going to be an interesting situation going forward. He didn't hit a shot in either game, including 0-6 from 3, and had a number of open looks that he couldn't knock down. Save for a couple of games this year, that was kind of his deal all season - either missing open looks or taking bad shots - and he's way too talented to be playing this poorly, particularly in his second season. His D did seem to improve a bit, but he's got to be a lot better on the offensive end. Feels like it's TBD if that's going to be in an IU uniform, though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think we have a solid base to start with next year.

I'm the opposite.  I think you have to win the portal in a big way to even duplicate this year's success.  Assuming JHS leaves, we are losing two NBA first round talents and 2 critical complimentary pieces.  We would be returning one player that scored yesterday and get a critical piece back from injury.  Even with XJ, that's a lot of production to make up.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Totally agree…. Here’s to looking for a great off season on the recruiting and portal trail for ‘23! Can’t wait for IU women’s game tonight! Go IU!!!

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 1