IU vs Miami Post Game

ButlerHoosier

5 minutes ago, Milosh68 said:

Spurts of standing around, a few players that don’t really show an ability to self motivate consistently, and an inconsistent year because of that last point. A decent year though. We need some more athletic players that can actually shoot the ball. 

losing(most likely)Schifino and TJD is not ideal for this team o build more consistency for next year. 

Imo, if jhs goes, its his mistake.  He has a lot to learn on D especially.  His dribbling extravaganzas seem to impress people. But hes young and could learn a lot from another year.  

• Like 8

This season was a disappointment…yes, I said it…it was a disappointment. Round of 32 loss is not a success regardless of X’s injury. 

TJD was a stud and enjoyed watching him play for 4 years. I hate to see him go out like this. He will be regarded as a great. 

Onto to the off season…Woodson needs to go all in on the transfer portal and build a team from Reneau, Galloway and X. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How was the season disappointing SMH. We finished second in the big ten without are second best player for most of it. Was the game tonight a disappointment, yes but it would be overreacting to say the whole season was

The season was meh.  It is made worse by the idea that this team was built up to make a run.  You can't feel comfortable at all about next year's roster.  I don't even know what we attempt to run next year.  Can't do what we have been doing and we don't have a shooting team or a driving team.

Unless we score a bunch of hits in the portal....ugh.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Let me be clear, we got completely out-played, but I still absolutely hate that our team was put in a position on Friday to not tip until essentially 11pm Et and not get to sleep until 4-5am. 

That 100% messes with your internal clock and basically ruins/eliminates the rest day. 

It's like having a sleepover when you were a kid and you're a zombie the next day. 

Absolutely crap the NCAA did that. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, KDB said:

We wouldn’t have made the tournament without Trayce. Also, he had 23 points, 8 boards and 5 blocks. He wasn’t the problem. We actually didn’t give him the ball nearly enough.

He got out rebounded 17-8 by a 6’ 7 forward.  At one point Miami scored on six straight possessions after offensive rebounds.  Not all of that is on Trayce of course but he shouldn’t get a free pass tonight.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bluegrassIU said:

Because they were flat out quicker and more athletic. We have been out re ounded all year long fouls. We are not very quick jumpers or quick laterally, sans TJD.

They were quicker to the ball because they expended the effort to do so.  After we came back and took the lead early in the 2nd half, we settled into trying to play a Big Ten style game.  Just because Michigan's athletes aren't going to give full effort does not mean that other teams won't. 

This was a game where XJ makes a huge difference.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KDB said:

We wouldn’t have made the tournament without Trayce. Also, he had 23 points, 8 boards and 5 blocks. He wasn’t the problem. We actually didn’t give him the ball nearly enough.

I know that but he didn't bring it tonight when we really needed it. The problem is that he thinks he can just use his athletic skills to rebound but tonight you needed to block out first

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Not a disappointing season IMO given losing X for almost all of it. When the brackets came out. I told my son, Miami would be the absolute worst matchup for us. 

I will say I'm very disappointed about the defensive rebounding effort tonight though. 4 guys (including Trayce) just standing around while they have 1 or 2 guys absolutely crashing.

X’s loss was very much missed this game. He would have most likely covered Wong or Miller. Miami out hustled us and obviously out rebounded us. They just played two steps faster than us and IMO really appeared to want it more. Im not saying we didn’t want it. We go put on our heels early and never really recovered. I’m not going to be one of these pi$$ed off IU fans and throw players under the bus. Tonight just wasn’t our night. We have so much look forward too, even for next year. Thank you TJD, Race and Miller!! I’m very proud of this team despite this loss and proud to be a Hoosier!

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 7

Didn't (and won't) watch.  Stats say offense OK, but not much defense.  Miami won the NIL battle and obviously has talent, but still...give up 40 points and then adjust defensively to...45?!!

Thanks, seniors...and especially Trayce and Race.  Time to reload and see what Woody can do next season.

There's at least one rotation player who needs to hit the portal and find a better fit.  Won't call him out but with all the zeros after more than one season, it should be fairly obvious.  Produce or move on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John S said:

Imo, if jhs goes, its his mistake.  He has a lot to learn on D especially.  His dribbling extravaganzas seem to impress people. But hes young and could learn a lot from another year.  

I also thought that Blake Wesley was making a mistake by going to the league after 1 season at ND. He’s definitely developed ahead of what i thought he would. San Antonio has done a good job of balancing him between Austin and the big time. Also, Romeo has shown some growth down there as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

Hope you are right about Coach knowing what we need, because it is hard to think that watching us get jobbed by smaller, quicker players

And, i believe, a smart coach Laramaga. He knew what to do and, obviously his players executed.  

Just now, FKIM01 said:

Didn't (and won't) watch.  Stats say offense OK, but not much defense.  Miami won the NIL battle and obviously has talent, but still...give up 40 points and then adjust defensively to...45?!!

Thanks, seniors...and especially Trayce and Race.  Time to reload and see what Woody can do next season.

There's at least one rotation player who needs to hit the portal and find a better fit.  Won't call him out but with all the zeros after more than one season, it should be fairly obvious.  Produce or move on.

Honestly, until it was crazy out of hand the last 3 minutes, our wnd half defense was pretty good. It was all rebounding. I don't know the number but gave up a TON of 2nd chance points. 

The initial defense in the 2md half was pretty good. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

They were quicker to the ball because they expended the effort to do so.  After we came back and took the lead early in the 2nd half, we settled into trying to play a Big Ten style game.  Just because Michigan's athletes aren't going to give full effort does not mean that other teams won't. 

This was a game where XJ makes a huge difference.  

Agree on XJ.....because, to my point, he would have been the quickest guy on the floor, including the Miami guys.

JHS is big and very skilled. But XJ has superior athleticism and a never ending motor.

It's a shame. The two would have complemented each other so well this season.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

The season was meh.  It is made worse by the idea that this team was built up to make a run.  You can't feel comfortable at all about next year's roster.  I don't even know what we attempt to run next year.  Can't do what we have been doing and we don't have a shooting team or a driving team.

Unless we score a bunch of hits in the portal....ugh.

But those expectations was built on having you second best player and your point guard for most of the year.

• Like 2

A few questions now that we laid another egg tonight:

Is TJD the best player to never win anything while at IU?  I cant remember an IU AA without a conf or NCAA title...curious if anyone knows.

Which 1andDone did IU get the least from in his time here?  Noah Vonleh, Romeo Langford, or JHS?

What style of play will Woodson adopt now that the team doesnt have an obvious focal point for next season?

Sorry about the poor showing more that the loss... we still we had more fun and big moments than in recent seasons.  Peace out!

Edited by Lizard
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know that but he didn't bring it tonight when we really needed it. The problem is that he thinks he can just use his athletic skills to rebound but tonight you needed to block out first

One of the studio analysts said today that rebound was about effort, and that jumping ability and blocking out were overrated.  

• Like 1

A 4 losing to a 5 is not shocking. The lack of effort on the boards is very disappointing. Sadly, the seniors go out on a sour note in both tournaments again.

This was a pace game. IU had to know rebounding and getting good shots were key to preventing them running out. At no point did it look like IU was willing to change how they would play this one and it worked to Miami's advantage.

My hope is CMW, two seasons in, sees the disparity in talent (speed, size, shooting  ball handling, etc.) they played with most of the season and makes it a priority. But also, you have to coach what is a good shot vs bad shot. He gave JHS freedom and, as expected, there was some really good and some really bad. The bad cost them multiple games. 

Finally, if your player development results in only being able to trust seven players to play any significant minutes, you need to figure out why that is.

Thank you to all the Seniors for what you brought to IU. Best of luck in whatever your future holds.

Edited by Euroclydon
  • Like 2

Other than it being the last game that TJD will play in an Indiana uniform… what hurts the most is how we lost the hustle plays tonight. 

Woody, please get us some knock down shooters, along with a few gap guys to align next season for the 24 class. I long for the glory days. 

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Let me be clear, we got completely out-played, but I still absolutely hate that our team was put in a position on Friday to not tip until essentially 11pm Et and not get to sleep until 4-5am. 

That 100% messes with your internal clock and basically ruins/eliminates the rest day. 

It's like having a sleepover when you were a kid and you're a zombie the next day. 

Absolutely crap the NCAA did that. 

Doesn't make for a good high quality practice on Saturday does it?