Indiana Roster 2023-2024

26 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The bold... is a thing? 

I think he's a VERY good defender against quick guards. I assume Braden Smith and Sincere Carry feel the same. 

I feel like as your 5th scoring option, in any lineup, he's a great guy to have. 

I think he’s pretty good for the most part on defense, but there were a couple games where we could not contain the dribble drive at all. Iowa comes to mind. Struggled with Miami too.

54 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

I think he’s pretty good for the most part on defense, but there were a couple games where we could not contain the dribble drive at all. Iowa comes to mind. Struggled with Miami too.

Did anyone in those games, contain the ball well, though? 

Iowa, I know, JHS was absolutely worse than TG. I am not saying he's elite, but I do categorize him as an above avg to good defender. 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

He is versatile, but limited. He's an energy guy best suited for coming off the bench. No way he would have played 28 mpg last year if XJ wasn't injured. He increased his playing time from <21 mpg , the prior year, to almost 28 mpg yet his scoring only went from 5.5 ppg to 6.7 ppg. If he was going to be a 12-15 ppg game guy, it would have shown this season. He's a valuable player who will make a key steal, highlight pass or knock down an open shot when needed. Every team needs that. I just don't see him as the scoring solution at the wing. It was obvious in the NCAAT that you need multiple athletic wings who can shoot. He also can't stay in front of quick guards.

Totally agree with you on this

Galloway wouldn't have started for any of the final four teams.

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Totally agree with you on this

Galloway wouldn't have started for any of the final four teams.

That isn't all that relevant. There are starters on F4 teams that wouldn't have started on our team, especially had we been full strength. 

If Trey is your 5th best starter, you're fine. He was our 3rd best player once XJ went down because Race's offense was nonexistent. 

A more versatile 3 and 4 help TG and the rest our team, exponentially. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That isn't all that relevant. There are starters on F4 teams that wouldn't have started on our team, especially had we been full strength. 

If Trey is your 5th best starter, you're fine. He was our 3rd best player once XJ went down because Race's offense was nonexistent. 

A more versatile 3 and 4 help TG and the rest our team, exponentially. 

I guess we will agree to disagree on this subject. I like Galloway and what he brings to the team but for us to be a great team we need an upgrade over him starting.

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess we will agree to disagree on this subject. I like Galloway and what he brings to the team but for us to be a great team we need an upgrade over him starting.

So.. upgrading at 1, 2, 3, and 4 and our bench postions just mean nothing? Alright. We will have to disagree. 

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So.. upgrading at 1, 2, 3, and 4 and our bench postions just mean nothing? Alright. We will have to disagree. 

I think a second unit of Cupps, Galloway, Gunn, Banks and Sparks would be a deep bench. You want to play more guys in the rotation and to me to maximize Galloway's effectiveness you play him 15-18 mpg.  With how hard he plays it is harder for him to be effective in starter minutes. To me we need to have an upgrade from the 2-4 positions from last year in order for us to be better than last year. It will be hard for us to upgrade over JHS and TJD so the upgrade had to come elsewhere. XJ should at least be close to what JHS was and he is a better defender than JHS. 

XJ 

Reneau 

Ware. 

I think those are 3 starters and to me we need two transfers to be able to starywts at the other two spots.  Either Banks and Galloway make a huge jump from last year or we need upgrades.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think a second unit of Cupps, Galloway, Gunn, Banks and Sparks would be a deep bench. You want to play more guys in the rotation and to me to maximize Galloway's effectiveness you play him 15-18 mpg.  With how hard he plays it is harder for him to be effective in starter minutes. To me we need to have an upgrade from the 2-4 positions from last year in order for us to be better than last year. It will be hard for us to upgrade over JHS and TJD so the upgrade had to come elsewhere. XJ should at least be close to what JHS was and he is a better defender than JHS. 

XJ 

Reneau 

Ware. 

I think those are 3 starters and to me we need two transfers to be able to starywts at the other two spots.  Either Banks and Galloway make a huge jump from last year or we need upgrades.

I fully expect Banks and TG to both make measurable gains. That's factored in. 

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Man, the degrading and slander of Galloway is getting ridiculous.  If you noticed, there would be times that JHS would get lit up on D and you know what would happen?  Woody would sick Galloway on the guy and more times than not, the problem would be solved. He’s a very good defender, can initiate as a second ball handler, and he can attack especially against drop coverage.  

If you have five pretty boy scorers out there, that ain’t going going to work.  Galloway is a winner.  I think the next step for him is to rebound a bit better and increase volume on shooting but he’s getting there.  He could play on my team any year and he’s going to help you win. 

Who has slandered Galloway, saying you like what he brings to the team and the energy he plays with isn't slander. Just because I think he is better suited to come off the bench for our team to be the best we can be is not slander or downgrading him.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Man, the degrading and slander of Galloway is getting ridiculous.  If you noticed, there would be times that JHS would get lit up on D and you know what would happen?  Woody would sick Galloway on the guy and more times than not, the problem would be solved. He’s a very good defender, can initiate as a second ball handler, and he can attack especially against drop coverage.  

If you have five pretty boy scorers out there, that ain’t going going to work.  Galloway is a winner.  I think the next step for him is to rebound a bit better and increase volume on shooting but he’s getting there.  He could play on my team any year and he’s going to help you win. 

Also he is to one dimensional on offense because he had to be wide open for him.to take a 3. Also I have never saw him try to do a pull up jumper. It is either a 3 or he tries a floater.

This is the last I weigh in on TG, because the reactions are getting a bit strange to generally positive, but realistic, opinions. To me, he’s like Mason Gillis. Another really solid, smart player, with similar stats who helps you win. However, if Edey leaves, I wouldn’t count on Gillis making a big leap as a scorer (yes, I know he had 30 in a game as a fluke) 

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Also he is to one dimensional on offense because he had to be wide open for him.to take a 3. Also I have never saw him try to do a pull up jumper. It is either a 3 or he tries a floater.

Wrong. He shot and made baseline jumpers fairly regularly. As well, why would you want to take a guy off the floor who shot nearly 50% from 3, wide open or not?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Wrong. He shot and made baseline jumpers fairly regularly. As well, why would you want to take a guy off the floor who shot nearly 50% from 3, wide open or not?

How many 3's did he shoot a game. Only baseline jumpers I saw him take was open 3's.  Some of you act like being a top 6th man is a bad thing. Many NBA players made a great living being a 6th man.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How many 3's did he shoot a game. Only baseline jumpers I saw him take was open 3's.  Some of you act like being a top 6th man is a bad thing. Many NBA players made a great living being a 6th man.

I get what you are saying, Scott.  I totally understand and somewhat agree with you.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Where is my false statement. I could have said he is dating one of your ex wives or he looks like one of the Jonas brothers.

Steub covers it pretty well.  You called him one-dimensional on offense.  I say:

• He can bring the ball up the court
  • He can break down the defense off the dribble
  • He shot over 46% from 3
  • He had a 2.5:1 assist to turnover ratio last season
  • His Offensive Win Shares was 3rd best on the team
  • He had the most offensive rebounds on the team from the 1-3 slots.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He's a legit 3-level scorer.  Doesn't have the midrange game that JHS did, but he's been pretty doggoned good getting to the hole.  Just about posterized Zach Edy last year.  That's a long way from one-dimensional in my book.

• Like 3