Indiana Roster 2023-2024

30 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Jamarcus Ellis is the only one I can think of that I  wanted to see leave... 

I can think of a few others since him that I was very ready to move on, and not because of their on-court play.

HMP and Devan Dumes can stay the hell out of Bloomington. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

@NotIThatLives why would you be disappointed? If it were the "right" transfer to go along with who we've added in the front court. 🤷‍♂️

@BobSaccamanno 

XJ 30 Cupps 10

TG 20 Transfer 15 XJ 5

Transfer 15 TG 10 Banks 15 

Here we go.  I rarely know what thread I'm in unless it's the very first thread I click on, then from there I just jump next thread and on and on.  

I'm not into who starts and this and that and I get the grand total of 30 mins for Galloway with the roster as currently constructed.  I'm just way more hopeful for some serious help on the wing in the portal.  I don't think Woodson and Company are going to settle for just a guy that can play 15 mins a game.  I want a clear stud bucket getter.  But as you highlighted with your min distribution,  Galloway is a utility knife and can play point and wings.  So his flexibility allows the staff some flexibility in their search and there is still like 4 more weeks of this stuff.  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, btownqb said:

@NotIThatLives why would you be disappointed? If it were the "right" transfer to go along with who we've added in the front court. 🤷‍♂️

@BobSaccamanno 

XJ 30 Cupps 10

TG 20 Transfer 15 XJ 5

I would like to see a few less minutes for X. 
You, or someone posted the minutes played by UConn’s roster in one of the tournament games. I believe that the guy with the most minutes had 28-30? Sorry, memory is a little off. Still, point being that they had a deep enough rotation that no one was overly taxed 

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Here we go.  I rarely know what thread I'm in unless it's the very first thread I click on, then from there I just jump next thread and on and on.  

I'm not into who starts and this and that and I get the grand total of 30 mins for Galloway with the roster as currently constructed.  I'm just way more hopeful for some serious help on the wing in the portal.  I don't think Woodson and Company are going to settle for just a guy that can play 15 mins a game.  I want a clear stud bucket getter.  But as you highlighted with your min distribution,  Galloway is a utility knife and can play point and wings.  So his flexibility allows the staff some flexibility in their search and there is still like 4 more weeks of this stuff.  

The transfer at the 2/3 is the same play. 30 mins. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

@BobSaccamanno 

XJ 30 Cupps 10

TG 20 Transfer 15 XJ 5

Gallo has his role, but if he’s playing 30 minutes, that team will struggle to win 6 B1G games. Not nearly enough scoring. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Gallo has his role, but if he’s playing 30 minutes, that team will struggle to win 6 B1G games. Not nearly enough scoring. 

XJ 12-15

Transfer 10-14

TG 9-11 

Ledlum 12

Malik 8 

Ware 10 

That can't work? 

Edited by btownqb

8 hours ago, btownqb said:

XJ 12-15

Transfer 10-14

TG 9-11 

Ledlum 12

Malik 8 

Ware 10 

That can't work? 

It works if the goal is to have a season like WI last year. They had 5 players who averaged 9-13 ppg (four in double figures) and two more regulars who combined for 7.5 ppg. No  margin for error and they lost a lot  of close games. 

Edited by 13th&Jackson

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It works if the goal is to have a season like WI last year. They had 5 players who averaged 9-13 ppg (four in double figures) and two more regulars who combined for 7.5 ppg. No  margin for error and they lost a lot  of close games. 

We would be quite a bit more talented than WI this past season. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We would be quite a bit more talented than WI this past season. 

Maybe. I was just going from the scoring you laid out. That would be 61 to 70 ppg. WI averaged just over 66. They can grind out some games with that level of scoring because they play at a slow pace and average only about 7 TOs. But they still lost a lot of close games this year. 

The only B1G teams to average less than 70 ppg last year were MN, WI, Rutgers and NW. Only NW made the NCAAT and they were an elite defensive team. 

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Maybe. I was just going from the scoring you laid out. That would be 61 to 70 ppg. WI averaged just over 66. They can grind out some games with that level of scoring because they play at a slow pace and average only about 7 TOs. But they still lost a lot of close games this year. 

The only B1G teams to average less than 70 ppg last year were MN, WI, Rutgers and NW. Only NW made the NCAAT and they were an elite defensive team. 

It's hard for me to envision us anything like WI. 

I would say Ledlum, Ware, and Malik were all the low side of their avgs, and I didn't include Banks or Cupps. 

Well above 70. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

It's hard for me to envision us anything like WI. 

I would say Ledlum, Ware, and Malik were all the low side of their avgs, and I didn't include Banks or Cupps. 

Well above 70. 

We’ve all seen the same clips, so I’m not claiming any special insight, but based on his numbers (even if in the Ivy) and his skill set, I think Ledlum can go get buckets. 

• Like 2

I believe IU will add at least one more transfer but if they don't they still have a solid team. It will just be a different team than what we've become accustomed to since TJD arrived.

A front court that goes 6'9 235, 6'9 240. and 7'0 210 is a good start and my guess is those numbers will change by the time the season gets here. Yes, there are still lots of question about this group but they have the size to compete. Adding another big, at this point, would be gravy.

PG is under control if X is eligible and healthy. I trust X, Gabe and Trey to get the ball up the court and set the offense. Just switching out Tamar for Gabe is a huge upgrade in terms of ball handling and passing. That's not a knock on Tamar. He was never meant to be a PG and ball handling is a weakness he has to improve regardless of where he ends up. Bottom line - IU improved a great deal vs the press as the season went on and they'll be better next season. 

That leaves what I'll refer to as the wings, which is everyone else. I don't see a classic shooting guard right now. I do see several guys with a lot of potential and varying skills. Trey is the closest to being what is needed after knocking down 46% of his threes, cutting down his turnovers, and still playing good defense. He will be on the floor as much as possible. The guy that may be the breakout star is Kaleb Banks. At 6'7 200 with some bounce and a nice shot he could be a scoring option and a match up problem for opponents.  

I'm not counting out CJ Gunn being a scoring threat off the bench and if he fills out over the summer he's got the quickness and size to be a two way threat as the game slows down for him. Leal should get a chance to prove he needs more playing time. The freshman have skills and could provide much needed depth. 

The point is, whether they add anyone else or not this IU team has talent. A few weeks ago we were worried they'd have nothing inside. They addressed that in a big way. It may take them the majority of next season to figure it all out but overall it could be the most complete team they've had offensively and defensively in many seasons. 

Edited by Euroclydon
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I disagree.  He played 30+ minutes a game this past season.  Gallo is exactly the type of player that demands minutes because of his versatility.

He may not have the NBA future of JHS, but XJ will equal or exceed Schifino's production on the court.

Ware will replace, and has the ability to exceed, Race's production.

Do not sleep on Banks.  He's still here for a reason.  Woodson has plans for him. Dont be surprised if fills a large portion of minutes vacated by Kopp.

Ultimately it comes down to how IU adapts to life without TJD.  

No one person is going to replace him. 

Reneau will have a bigger offensive role. 

Sparks will be the big bodied defensive presence when needed.  

It would be great to get another wing scorer, but if that does not happen, Galloway is someone that could potentially give 4-5 more points a game if called upon.

We're not going to compete for the conference crown if we dont land another impact transfer or two, but your prediction of 6 wins if Galloway plays 30 minutes is too pessimistic in my opinion.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I disagree.  He played 30+ minutes a game this past season.  Gallo is exactly the type of player that demands minutes because of his versatility.

He may not have the NBA future of JHS, but XJ will equal or exceed Schifino's production on the court.

Ware will replace, and has the ability to exceed, Race's production.

Do not sleep on Banks.  He's still here for a reason.  Woodson has plans for him. Dont be surprised if fills a large portion of minutes vacated by Kopp.

Ultimately it comes down to how IU adapts to life without TJD.  

No one person is going to replace him. 

Reneau will have a bigger offensive role. 

Sparks will be the big bodied defensive presence when needed.  

It would be great to get another wing scorer, but if that does not happen, Galloway is someone that could potentially give 4-5 more points a game if called upon.

We're not going to compete for the conference crown if we dont land another impact transfer or two, but your prediction of 6 wins if Galloway plays 30 minutes is too pessimistic in my opinion.

Well said. As of right now I don’t really know who will be the go to guy so to speak. Like you said, no single person is gonna replace TJD. It will be interesting to see who steps up and who might surprise us and fulfill a larger role than expected.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

He is versatile, but limited. He's an energy guy best suited for coming off the bench. No way he would have played 28 mpg last year if XJ wasn't injured. He increased his playing time from <21 mpg , the prior year, to almost 28 mpg yet his scoring only went from 5.5 ppg to 6.7 ppg. If he was going to be a 12-15 ppg game guy, it would have shown this season. He's a valuable player who will make a key steal, highlight pass or knock down an open shot when needed. Every team needs that. I just don't see him as the scoring solution at the wing. It was obvious in the NCAAT that you need multiple athletic wings who can shoot. He also can't stay in front of quick guards.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

He is versatile, but limited. He's an energy guy best suited for coming off the bench. No way he would have played 28 mpg last year if XJ wasn't injured. He increased his playing time from <21 mpg , the prior year, to almost 28 mpg yet his scoring only went from 5.5 ppg to 6.7 ppg. If he was going to be a 12-15 ppg game guy, it would have shown this season. He's a valuable player who will make a key steal, highlight pass or knock down an open shot when needed. Every team needs that. I just don't see him as the scoring solution at the wing. It was obvious in the NCAAT that you need multiple athletic wings who can shoot. He also can't stay in front of quick guards.

The bold... is a thing? 

I think he's a VERY good defender against quick guards. I assume Braden Smith and Sincere Carry feel the same. 

I feel like as your 5th scoring option, in any lineup, he's a great guy to have. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1