2023 Mackenzie Mgbako COMMITS TO INDIANA UNIVERSITY!!!

I know this is MM thread, and I hung out with @RoadToZion earlier today (fiction)

our assistants are fukin solid man. Covers a lot of areas of the country, Adam Howard social media guru, it’s all working. Give these assistants a raise for being successful in the first new wave of portal and having success their first couple years.

Edited by Coach Robby
I’m hammered
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

I know this is MM thread, and I hung out with @RoadToZion earlier today (fiction)

our assistants are fukin solid man. Covers a lot of areas of the country, Adam Howard social media guru, it’s all working. Give these assistants a raise for being successful in the first new wave of portal and having success their first couple years.

Mixing beers with neighbors who are also IU fans but to recap our offseason. 2 McDonald's All Americans. Walker who seems long and just played for a F4 team.....and Sparks who has been wanting to get to Bloomington for a year.

Not a bad haul. Still one more space. Kind of makes those posts about Ledlum, Knee Surgery and few others seem pretty well......dumb I guess. 

Good night to be a Hoosier!

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Mixing beers with neighbors who are also IU fans but to recap our offseason. 2 McDonald's All Americans. Walker who seems long and just played for a F4 team.....and Sparks who has been wanting to get to Bloomington for a year.

Not a bad haul. Still one more space. Kind of makes those posts about Ledlum, Knee Surgery and few others seem pretty well......dumb I guess. 

Good night to be a Hoosier!

The meltdown around April 20 was just plain dumb.  I'd expect it from little kids with no real world experience, but I'd kinda assumed we were all adults on this forum. Guess that's foolish to assume...🤣🤣🤣

I think IU will be just fine without Ledlum, Knecht and other targets who decided they were unworthy of the cream and crimson. :coffee:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

https://247sports.com/college/kansas/board/103719/Contents/mackenzie-mgbako-209116107/?page=69#M210135621

Not sure how to link this but this dude is wild.  Said, RIP my butthole.  

They were so predictable after he popped for us.  "Fake blue blood", "You need him more than us", "We are going to beat you by 30 on your floor".  

Yawn.  Bunch of cheating b*tches, we took off 2 decades and still have more titles than their asses.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

We lose X,Ware, MM, and possibly MR. I don’t think next year will be a problem 

Walker is out of eligibility and I wouldn’t assume Leal is going to be invited by the staff to play his Covid year if we think we need the scholarship. 

• Like 4

Looking back, I always thought we had a good chance with Mgbako. As @Initial79 kept saying, IU just made too much sense. KS was almost as crowded as Duke and here he can be featured. I'd like to know if he decided on Friday or knew it was going to be IU before, during, or just after his visit.

Anyways, great job by all involved. Safe to blow out the candles now. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

As good as he is, the NBA Draft Net pointed out several things that he needed to work on (according to ITH story)

• 1:1.7 assist/TO ratio 
  • Sub-par FT shooter
  • High volume of shots, but not great shooting %
  • Picks up dribble too soon, then takes contested shots

Proper coaching, and hard work by MM should be able to fix some of these quickly. Others may take a little time. So I don't expect him to come in and be a man against boys. 

Depending on Woody's offensive choice this year, he could put all of the guys in some great positions to score, since it appears our overall talent level has increased significantly.

Now the question is how quick can the new guys learn the defense...and play it well...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

They were so predictable after he popped for us.  "Fake blue blood", "You need him more than us", "We are going to beat you by 30 on your floor".  

Yawn.  Bunch of cheating b*tches, we took off 2 decades and still have more titles than their asses.

You spelled three and a half decades wrong.  😉

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Looking back, I always thought we had a good chance with Mgbako. As @Initial79 kept saying, IU just made too much sense. KS was almost as crowded as Duke and here he can be featured. I'd like to know if he decided on Friday or knew it was going to be IU before, during, or just after his visit.

Anyways, great job by all involved. Safe to blow out the candles now. 

I’m curious about his NIL package too. I wonder how much of a decision more money (if that was the case) swayed him to IU? My hopes are that playing for Woodson is what did it, the money was just icing on the cake.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, DWB said:

As good as he is, the NBA Draft Net pointed out several things that he needed to work on (according to ITH story)

• Sub-par FT shooter

Proper coaching, and hard work by MM should be able to fix some of these quickly. Others may take a little time. So I don't expect him to come in and be a man against boys. 

Depending on Woody's offensive choice this year, he could put all of the guys in some great positions to score, since it appears our overall talent level has increased significantly.

Now the question is how quick can the new guys learn the defense...and play it well...

Saw a great post of someone who has seen him live 5 times. Lot of great info but the main thing he said - he is just like JHS in that he is a man. Looks, walks and acts 25. I will take that all day.

he also said somethings very interesting in his quotes- “coach said I have the opportunity to come in and if I do what I capable of, start and earn lots of minutes.” “Melo said Woody is amazing but he is going to push you hard.” That is telling 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Yep, if I had an inclination to go to another teams site and post (which I don't) this is what I'd tell them...

They're 0-2 in NCAA basketball championship games versus IU.

They won their first championship in 1952 with native Hoosier Clyde Lovellette as the most outstanding player... A player the revered Phog Allen had coerced into coming to Kansas by holding a slot on the 1952 Olympic basketball team (which Allen was an assistant on) over his head, stealing him from IU and Branch McCracken ...

Allen also paid Wilt Chamberlain to come to Kansas, again stealing him from IU... He couldn't win a title with the greatest player ever to play the game, losing to UNC in the 1957 championship game...

So Kansas, had their one champion until 1986 when they won under Larry Brown... That almost landed them the Death Penalty with the recruiting shenanigans that went on... It did put them on probation...

The last 2 under Self stink too... They were paying kids before NIL... See Self's suspension from early last year...and only losers count Helms Banners 🙂

They hold Dr Naismith, the inventor of the game, on a pedestal because he coached them from 1898-1907, but in 1925, after watching the Indiana high school tournament Naismith said, "the stadium packed with fifteen thousand people, gave me a thrill I shall not soon forget. Basketball really had its beginning in Indiana which remains today the center of the sport.” 

There is no shame in any of the 5 banners that hang in SSAH... Kansas can't make that claim... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 9

36 minutes ago, DWB said:

• Sub-par FT shooter

All I know on the defensive end is that we just added a bunch of length and athleticism on that side of the ball. 6'8, 6'9, and 7'0 is a nice starting frontcourt.  Our starting PG is one of the better on ball defenders in the BIG and goes 6'3" and the most likely current 2 guard candidates on the team go 6'3", 6'4", and 6'5" and we can still add a guy there.  

On paper (which we all know is not the be, all end all) we have some pieces to play with.  TJD is the guy I don't think we have replaced but we have added a really good committee of guys to help fill the huge hole he is leaving.  I think that XJ should fill in pretty well for JHS.  JHS has that higher ceiling but I think we are OK there.

15 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I’m curious about his NIL package too. I wonder how much of a decision more money (if that was the case) swayed him to IU? My hopes are that playing for Woodson is what did it, the money was just icing on the cake.

That's the way he described it in the post commitment interview...

"My decision will put me in a position to flourish and thrive," Mgbako told ESPN. "The staff showed a lot of love and I trust them. They have a need for my game. It's a great fit. If I do my job, I will have the opportunity to start. I can bring scoring, rebounding and passing."

Mgbako spoke with Carmelo Anthony, who played for Indiana coach Mike Woodson while with the New York Knicks. He said that Anthony told him, "[Woodson] is a genuine guy. But on the court, he will push you."

Mgbako's name, image and likeness opportunities in Bloomington was also a factor in his decision.

"It works hand in hand with the decision," he said. "You get paid for what you love to do. Indiana has great NIL opportunities."

Link

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That's the way he described it in the post commitment interview...

"My decision will put me in a position to flourish and thrive," Mgbako told ESPN. "The staff showed a lot of love and I trust them. They have a need for my game. It's a great fit. If I do my job, I will have the opportunity to start. I can bring scoring, rebounding and passing."

Mgbako spoke with Carmelo Anthony, who played for Indiana coach Mike Woodson while with the New York Knicks. He said that Anthony told him, "[Woodson] is a genuine guy. But on the court, he will push you."

Mgbako's name, image and likeness opportunities in Bloomington was also a factor in his decision.

"It works hand in hand with the decision," he said. "You get paid for what you love to do. Indiana has great NIL opportunities."

Link

I’d be surprised if there was much material difference in NIL offering between us and KU. Think either school could ultimately come up with the funds to match for a kid like Mgbako, it came down to where he wanted to be. Which was here :) 

• Like 2