UConn post game thread

Reacher

1 minute ago, ForHumanity said:

Exactly, but it was his first game with competition. Will he melt again against a strong team. Cupcakes teams hide bad habits.

He's had some good outings against top competition in the past. He was the best guard in the big ten the 2nd half of the conference season two years ago.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

They said on the broadcast that Mgbako was our 2nd highest recruit ever at #8, after Romeo.  Even leaving out D. Bailey, who was #1 in a different era wasn't E. Gordon something like #3?

That 89 IU class was the best there will ever be. I don't think anyone can put a team like that together.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

They said on the broadcast that Mgbako was our 2nd highest recruit ever at #8, after Romeo.  Even leaving out D. Bailey, who was #1 in a different era wasn't E. Gordon something like #3?

Gordon was #1 in 247.  This is the 2nd time ESPN has done this. Have no idea how they keep missing this. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

That 89 IU class was the best there will ever be. I don't think anyone can put a team like that together.

I agree with that. But they took their lumps early in their career. Problem is that teams don't grow together over the years anymore. They hit the portal or declare for the NBA. Classes don't hang around and develop. I don't know how you build a team these days. I might be too old for this crap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Starters minus Mgbako.  And before someone brings up Cupps. The stats indicate he is extremely inefficient.

That’s fair, but only because we’ve seen X be that guy before. He isn’t playing like it right now.

I agree on Cupps, he didn’t look ready at all today. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It was an off court issue, but is it fair to ask if the Taco Bell incident was a legit red flag?

I was wondering today not so much about it being a red flag but if what happened there messed him up mentally in a way that is affecting his on court play. Who knows?  To answer your question, it is fair to ask, but I don’t know how we would find out the answer. 

38 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

6 weeks ago, it was off season optimism. The returning starting guards were going to play as well or better than they had previously. The returning bench players were going to make a nice jump as sophomores. Added some talent in the transfer portal in Ware and experienced depth in Sparks and Walker. Added a stud freshman in MM. 

Since then, games have been played. The only of those that is that have been shown to be true so far are Reneau being improved and Ware being a talent. Galloway and Johnson are playing worse. The returning bench is barely improved. MM has been terrible. Cupps is not a scorer. Sparks and Walker haven't shown much.

Not blaming Galloway for our problems but I have said for two years that Galloway isn't a starter on a really good team. He should be the 6th or 7th player in your rotation.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, ForHumanity said:

Exactly, but it was his first game with competition. Will he melt again against a strong team. Cupcakes teams hide bad habits.

johnson has proved himself multiple times in big games. He will be fine. MM needs to step it up. Play. don’t think. Gunn played hard today. Hopefully that carries over and he can start to knock down some 3s

• Like 3