Kansas post game

Inequality

Just now, Inequality said:

Just generally speaking here and not really a reference to this single game, there is such a huge drop off from our starters to everyone else on the bench. The three times we have played anyone with a pulse has made this stand out loud and clear to me. We don’t even have that reliable sixth man.

At least today KU has no bench either

1 minute ago, Inequality said:

Just generally speaking here and not really a reference to this single game, there is such a huge drop off from our starters to everyone else on the bench. The three times we have played anyone with a pulse has made this stand out loud and clear to me. We don’t even have that reliable sixth man.

I feel comfortable with 6 guys. Seven if X ever makes it back. 

Edited by Parakeet Jones
  • Like 1

That goes back to recruiting. Our staff gets a D- for that.

1 minute ago, Inequality said:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

You must care! Look at you replying. 

No, just wish they had your ass because this is a site for IU fans which you had proved that aren't one.

I wasn't in the game thread but I doubt you was on there when we were up 13. You only show up when we lose 

Edited by IU Scott

5 minutes ago, Inequality said:

We have no bench. Gunn and Banks bring nothing to the table. Are people still out there thinking Gunn is going to be a legitimate player? 

• Like 1

Frustratingly close. Played about 32 great minutes. Would really like to build on some things from that game and continue to refine things.

• Great game from Trey, his best as a Hoosier IMO. His stretch the last four minutes to end the first half and then obviously in the second half were huge.
  • MM had what I thought was his best game as a Hoosier, I wish he'd have had the chance to play through foul trouble more at the end of the first and not sat so long in the second.
  • Ware was phenomenal - his defense on Dickinson was great most of the game.
  • When things tightened up in the second half I felt like we went back to some bad tendencies - we did a really good job when we had a 13 point lead of shooting a little more threes and seemed to go away from that. I am sure MM being on the bench was a factor there
  • Even with the two late desperation threes, we averaged better points per shot in the second from three than we did two. Late in the game Ware and Reneau both got left wide open at the top of the key for three and neither even looked at the basket - I'd like to see that change. 
  • That late overturn on the OOB was huge and I didn't think it was a good call. Who knows if we win, but it's a hell of a lot easier if you're down 2 with the ball instead of down 4. 
  • KJ Adams is everything I think a lot of wish Geronimo had been. Incredible athlete and motor, and knows what he is and isn't capable of.

We've got a few cupcakes coming up, would really like to see us build on this performance heading into January. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Winning would have helped us but losing isn’t going to hurt us.  

Is XJ ever going to get his ass on the floor?  Availability is the most important ability.  

We needed one more guard and in the transfer portal era there’s no excuse for it.  The staff seems defensive about it but I hope they learned their lesson.  It’s senseless in the portal era and no need to be defensive about it.  I’d rather hear we will never let that happen again.  

IMO, XJ has been a big disappointment for me. As stated, he needs to be ON the floor, not ON the bench!!!

• Like 2

With 11:05 to go, we were 5-9 from 3...

We finished 6-15 not counting Gabe's heave at the end... 

Down the stretch we went away from our strength (inside) and took ill-advised 3 pointers... Reneau, Banks, Galloway...

So you know what "modern basketball" got us today?

Beat... That's what... 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hoosier987 said:

We have no bench. Gunn and Banks bring nothing to the table. Are people still out there thinking Gunn is going to be a legitimate player? 

There's a lot about this team that feels another year away.  Gunn and Banks may just need recruited over.  They are free to stick and and keep working if that's what they are doing.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Down the stretch we went away from our strength (inside) and took ill-advised 3 pointers... Reneau, Banks, Galloway...

Beat... That's what... 

Would not have been the game but for the previous makes. Just have to shoot with confidence when the game is on the line, kind of like Kansas did.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Beat... That's what... 

Trey's wide open 3 was absolutely a good shot. I don't recall Malik taking too many bad shots either.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

At one point late in the game Kansas was out scoring us in the paint. Did it finish that way?  That hasn’t happened this year (maybe UConn, I can’t remember).  Showing some pulse from outside gave us a chance today. 

Yeah, we hit 6 threes which is what KU averages. And while they're in the 300 on makes, they were closer to 27 in made threes per game than they were to us. I don't think we need some massive correction, just correct to the bottom without being a complete outlier. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

There's a lot about this team that feels another year away.  Gunn and Banks may just need recruited over.  They are free to stick and and keep working if that's what they are doing.

I suspect Woodson will recruit over them. He’s given them plenty of time and ample opportunities to show. There’s just such a significant drop in scoring when those 2 play. On a positive, I was glad Sparks wasn’t in the game, at at least shows he’s willing to shorten the bench…only issue is, we have no bench. 

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Beat... That's what... 

The Galloway 3 when we were down 2 was a good shot

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Poor guy. Mgbako picked up #4 too early so we had to save him. We just aren’t that deep. 

I thought we let him sit too long. McCullar had four fouls and he played through it, and was huge down the stretch. I understand he's a lot more experienced, but it didn't have to be that big of a difference either. 

• Like 4