Ohio State Post Game Thread

KDB

42 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I understand. But sometimes, as a fan, it's just enjoyable to be happy when your team wins a game. 

That's fun. My team wins, I am excited. 

undoubtedly.  i'm not good at that.  i think it has to do with how much i hate losing.  as a coach, i regret that i didn't bask in the glory of some of our big wins more, but instead i started looking immediately to what we needed to do tomorrow to get better and be prepared for the next opponent.  it does take some of the enjoyment out of it for sure, and as a fan, i really don't need to be that way, but it's me!  i guess i look at it this way... i get my opinion about where we are and don't get swayed to high by one win and don't get sunk too low after one loss.  many on here get super low after one loss, then super high after one win.  to each their own.  i am happy about the win last night BTW!  just remember the comments from many on here today and then those same people's comments after Tues night!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

Here’s a tough one,…..lol

…..Last night, my son in law and I were at Assembly Hall enjoying the IU game. In addition, we were trying to keep up with the Colts and Pacers as well as our HS girls/boys double header bb games, all during timeouts and play stoppages. To make things worse, the WiFi inside Assembly Hall was crappy at times and inconsistent the most of the game. 😳😂😅😅

Well, you can take comfort in knowing you made the right call in going to IU game vs the Colts game! 😄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Have you ever been optimistic about anything 

hey Scott!  not often.  i am pretty guarded in my expectations of sports.  that said, i can be optimistic.  i just think it's a little blind or short sighted... this team has a lot of talent and potential.  on a given night we have seen that we can get scoring from all 5 starters.  it is big to have X back and he could be a very good B1G PG in his 6th year.  our depth is looking a little better with Gunn, Banks, and Walker playing pretty well.  the B1G isn't as good this year, so we should have a better chance of winning games.  we are generally tough at home.  we only play Illinois once this year.  i'm excited about McNeeley next year.  there.  is that better?

Just for $hitz and giggles, I rewatched the game and took a tally of the number of "box outs" (not rebounds) that we did.

What is depressing is that Gallo had as many box outs as Reneau.

Here's my tally:

1. Gallo 2
  2. Reneau 2
  3. Gunn 1
  4. X had 1
  5. Mgbako 1
  6. Ware 4

That's disgraceful. No wonder we got out rebounded by 22.

If Woody doesn't fix this, it'll be a short season.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

undoubtedly.  i'm not good at that.  i think it has to do with how much i hate losing.  as a coach, i regret that i didn't bask in the glory of some of our big wins more, but instead i started looking immediately to what we needed to do tomorrow to get better and be prepared for the next opponent.  it does take some of the enjoyment out of it for sure, and as a fan, i really don't need to be that way, but it's me!  i guess i look at it this way... i get my opinion about where we are and don't get swayed to high by one win and don't get sunk too low after one loss.  many on here get super low after one loss, then super high after one win.  to each their own.  i am happy about the win last night BTW!  just remember the comments from many on here today and then those same people's comments after Tues night!

I think you have me on ignore, but I'm going to try anyways. 

Agree with this, as we've agreed on most things this season.  That was a good win yesterday against a solid team. But that's what OSU is, solid. They're not great or probably even really good, they're solid. 

We should beat them at home. I'm impressed and happy with how we played, but we need to see that at Rutgers, against Purdue, Illinois, Wisconsin and on the road. 

Good win, but we can't follow it up by getting blown out at Rutgers. IU needs to start building off a performance like that and we need some wins we aren't necessarily supposed to get. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

hey Scott!  not often.  i am pretty guarded in my expectations of sports.  that said, i can be optimistic.  i just think it's a little blind or short sighted... this team has a lot of talent and potential.  on a given night we have seen that we can get scoring from all 5 starters.  it is big to have X back and he could be a very good B1G PG in his 6th year.  our depth is looking a little better with Gunn, Banks, and Walker playing pretty well.  the B1G isn't as good this year, so we should have a better chance of winning games.  we are generally tough at home.  we only play Illinois once this year.  i'm excited about McNeeley next year.  there.  is that better?

You are just a fan and not a coach so why make yourself miserable over things you have no control over.

I use to let the outcome of the game ruin my day and put me in a bad mood but decided it wasn't worth it. 

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yes, it’s weird to think that this was a better team with a first round draft pick on the bench

Ware and Reneau are both skilled enough to be able to play together without clogging the lane. Coaches have to make that work with the positions they put them in.

That said, Walker does some things really well that neither of them do - probably the best overall defender of the three, moves well without the ball, can take guys off of the bounce. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You are just a fan and not a coach so why make yourself miserable over things you have no control over.

I use to let the outcome of the game ruin my day and put me in a bad mood but decided it wasn't worth it. 

I know I’ve said this before, but I don’t think it’s fair to assume someone is miserable just because they aren’t optimistic about a basketball team. I don’t even really see the relation between those two things.

Lots of people have happy, fulfilling lives without being optimistic people. Let alone optimistic about a game they watch for entertainment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree with this, as we've agreed on most things this season.  That was a good win yesterday against a solid team. But that's what OSU is, solid. They're not great or probably even really good, they're solid. 

We should beat them at home. I'm impressed and happy with how we played, but we need to see that at Rutgers, against Purdue, Illinois, Wisconsin and on the road. 

Good win, but we can't follow it up by getting blown out at Rutgers. IU needs to start building off a performance like that and we need some wins we aren't necessarily supposed to get. 

Took care of business somehow….. rebounding was dreadful/unacceptable and perimeter D still isn’t good. They missed a lot of open opportunities. Anybody is welcome to contribute that partly to D if you’d like, but I think we just finally caught some luck with a team that had an off night from the perimeter. But I’ll take it. (Did do a better job against Battle in the second half). Need and deserve that sometimes. I predicted a win at home (the key), but given the two shortcomings above (OR might as well be turnovers) I don’t have much confidence for Tuesday. 

Need X to play to that level consistently if we want to have a shot moving forward. CJ deserves props. Hope that confidence continues to evolve. MR, as others have said, was huge on the offensive end. Could be crazy good if he played with the same effort on D and getting boards. Glad for the win, but don’t think it changes my outlook much, other than a slight bit of confidence that X still has it and Gunn MIGHT be able to evolve into an asset. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

i definitely get what you're saying, but i'm not miserable after losses.  i'm not as happy for a little bit.  i'm sometimes not in as good of a mood for a few hours, but i'm fine.  just because i'm not often optimistic about my team doesn't mean i'm not happy when they win or that i'm miserable when they lose.  i do hate losing though!  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Couldn’t have said it better. It’s a solid win but a game I think many of us had chalked up in the W column. Let’s build off this and start racking up Ws in games we aren’t expected to win and continue to take care of business against teams that we should beat. Rutgers is weak this year. A solid game and we should win. That’s what’s going to help build confidence. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I know I’ve said this before, but I don’t think it’s fair to assume someone is miserable just because they aren’t optimistic about a basketball team. I don’t even really see the relation between those two things.

Lots of people have happy, fulfilling lives without being optimistic people. Let alone optimistic about a game they watch for entertainment. 

There’s a big disconnect on the board.

1. Because one is hopeful and would rather focus on moving forward instead of criticizing doesn’t mean they have low expectations.

2. Because one chooses to be critical of things in the game that was just played (in a post game thread devoted to said game) doesn’t necessarily mean they are pessimistic people who want Woody fired. 

Are there some who are okay with lower expectations? Sure. Are there some with that want woody fired? Sure. But those posters are the minority. We don’t need to lump everybody into one camp or the other.

Now let’s sing Kumbaya.

• Like 6

I think this team looks a WHOLE LOT better if we stagger Reneau and Ware more intentionally and play smaller.  We can run the offense through a big, just not two of them.  Is one of them man enough to accept a 6th man role?  In some situations we can even run them together, but only when the game proves it’s worthwhile.  Not as a baseline.

This also requires continued growth from Gunn, Walker, Banks, et al.  We will go as far as XJ takes us. Cupps is a perfectly fine backup

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

There’s a big disconnect on the board.

1. Because one is hopeful and would rather focus on moving forward instead of criticizing doesn’t mean they have low expectations.

2. Because one chooses to be critical of things in the game that was just played (in a post game thread devoted to said game) doesn’t necessarily mean they are pessimistic people who want Woody fired. 

Are there some who are okay with lower expectations? Sure. Are there some with that want woody fired? Sure. But those posters are the minority. We don’t need to lump everybody into one camp or the other.

Now let’s sing Kumbaya.

My Glass is never empty! Nor is it ever full! 😀

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I think this team looks a WHOLE LOT better if we stagger Reneau and Ware more intentionally and play smaller.  We can run the offense through a big, just not two of them.  Is one of them man enough to accept a 6th man role?  In some situations we can even run them together, but only when the game proves it’s worthwhile.  Not as a baseline.

This also requires continued growth from Gunn, Walker, Banks, et al.  We will go as far as XJ takes us. Cupps is a perfectly fine backup

Agree. Going off memory and eye test, it feels like our best lineups are:

XJ

Galloway

1 of: Mgbako, Banks or Gunn

Walker

1 of: Ware or Reneau  

I included both Banks and Gunn because they've both had moments of real effectiveness and they've both probably had more moments of being almost unplayable. 

I haven't always been real high on Gunn, but this is a different IU team with XJ healthy and playing like he did yesterday and Gunn playing like he did in the 2nd half. 

It allows us to play quicker, faster and with better perimeter play on both ends. 

• Like 3

Was at the Colts game but followed the score on my phone, will watch the recording later. Every conference win is a big win, we need all of them we can get. Hope we carry forward the improvements into Rutgers, as others have mentioned if we go and don't compete against a beatable opponent on the road again then it kills the momentum. We need momentum, consistency, game to game improvement. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

BTW, I wonder if the pullovers the coaches wore with the RMK initials on them will be available for sale? I'd definitely get one... 

I had the same thought, they were nice. I am guessing they were just for the team though. 

22 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

I can’t be the only person that wondered if that shrieking woman got into his head? It gave me Northwestern vibes. 

I thought he was just gassed. He came up way short on another after that.

Basketball shape takes a bit to get into and it was his first game with big minutes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I thought he was just gassed. He came up way short on another after that.

Basketball shape takes a bit to get into and it was his first game with big minutes. 

I think the airball was just a wierd oops. He intentionally missed the back ends of the other two trips.