Ohio State Post Game Thread

KDB

I want to address the fouling at the end of the first half.  Saw some dialogue in the game thread criticizing it.

It was ABSOLUTELY the correct move.  It was just very bad execution.  The purpose of it is to keep the other team off-balance trying to get into their offense.  IU, however, made two critical errors.  Mgbako fouled WAY too early, resulting in virtually no time running off.  He should have committed the foul around half court.  The second piece of bad execution was Walker fouling with literally no time coming off the clock.  I didn't really see the play, so don't know if it was a legit foul or not.  But, again, IU needed to let time actually run off the clock.

The foul at the end was a shooting foul and would have resulted in free throws no matter what.  However, if Mgbako and/or Walker had let time run off before fouling, the clock runs out and the last foul does not occur.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I want to address the fouling at the end of the first half.  Saw some dialogue in the game thread criticizing it.

It was ABSOLUTELY the correct move.  It was just very bad execution.  The purpose of it is to keep the other team off-balance trying to get into their offense.  IU, however, made two critical errors.  Mgbako fouled WAY too early, resulting in virtually no time running off.  He should have committed the foul around half court.  The second piece of bad execution was Walker fouling with literally no time coming off the clock.  I didn't really see the play, so don't know if it was a legit foul or not.  But, again, IU needed to let time actually run off the clock.

The foul at the end was a shooting foul and would have resulted in free throws no matter what.  However, if Mgbako and/or Walker had let time run off before fouling, the clock runs out and the last foul does not occur.

The foul on walker was absolute bs

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Got the must win they needed. Malik gave his best TJD impression. XJ was who he meds to be for this team. Think he was gassed at the end on those FTs. Still say Gunn will determine the team”s ceiling this year. Rebounding was embarrassing, but ball protection was excellent 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

3 things. 

1.) Did I burn my house down for no reason?Screenshot2024-01-06at8_50_10PM.thumb.png.ad006f4866dec0d7656bb9a491dd960e.png

2.) I agree with your take that following was the correct move but implementation was bad. 

3.) The foul on Walker occurred with Walker standing still with his back to the Ohio State player who ran directly into him.

Great win and the Hoosiers got really hot defensively for about a 7-10 minute stretch in the second half. Every OSU shot was contested. 
I’m afraid Reneau, Ware and Mbako can almost never all be on the floor at the same time.  Their offensive skills don’t make up for their defensive liabilities. 
If Reneau gets a motor, watch out!  He floats on the perimeter and doesn’t crash the boards all the time but what an offensively gifted young man. When/if he figures out how to play all out, all the time he will be an absolute beast. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

XJ with 18 points and 0 turnovers in 34 minutes. Galloway with 7 assists and only 1 turnover in 32 minutes. 

Huge improvement from Wednesday!

Add Gunn’s contributions and it’s night and day compared to every game so far this year. Maybe we will get some decent guard play moving forward. 

5 minutes ago, NWOHoosier said:

Add Gunn’s contributions and it’s night and day compared to every game so far this year. Maybe we will get some decent guard play moving forward. 

Loved Woodson going with the 3-guard lineup. Want more of that. 

• Like 9

The ability to EFFECTIVELY switch with Galloway, X and Gunn on the floor together is a game changer when needed. Some say the Hoosiers were lucky because OSU missed so many good looks. I felt that the D was able to make their shooters uncomfortable and get them out of rhythm. 

• Like 7

Reneau came through big time scoring in the half court.   XJ played the way we need him to.  No margin for error there.  

But Gunn was so much fun to watch on both ends.  At 6’6, with that length and agility, he showed his potential at both ends.  There’s simply no reason why he can’t play well the rest of the way.   He has the tools.  He will even help on the boards unlike our other guards.  Kudos to Woody for letting him get extended run.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Wasn’t it Galloway not Mgbako? 

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Such a thing of our society. We win. It's dead. We lose and it's on from all the assistant coaches. Good win and we move along.

To be fair, the postgame thread Wednesday night was barely 4 pages long the same night. Tonight we're on page 3. It's also a Saturday night and that Colts game was on also. Less eyeballs here on a busy night. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Wanted to expand on Woodson. He coached a great game today, really pushed all of the right buttons. 

Right after that 7-0 run the start the second half he called timeout and switched Galloway onto Battle, and Galloway, along with help from XJ, Gunn and Walker on switches, largely locked him up the rest of the way. 

Also, a ton of credit to Woodson for his lineups and subbing. He road the hot, effective lineup, wasn't afraid to sit two McDonald's AA's, and also subbed well down the stretch situationally. 

Really well coached game!

Great insight. I think It's what coach Woodson has been very reluctant or unwilling to do. Cupps didn't get any run in this game either, and I thought he was our only solid guard against Nebraska.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

Great insight. I think It's what coach Woodson has been very reluctant or unwilling to do. Cupps didn't get any run in this game either, and I thought he was our only solid guard against Nebraska.

You know I had completely forgot about Cupps until you mentioned him.