Ohio State Post Game Thread

KDB

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Loved Woodson going with the 3-guard lineup. Want more of that. 

Might as well, our bigs get their ass handed to them on the boards every game. I dont know if its a want to thing or are they just soft lazy and weak. There is no reason ever that MM should be cherry picking a dunk while XJ is doing the rebounding. Good win with how bad we rebound and give up 2nd chance points. That needs to get fixed NOW.

• Like 3

I thought that was one of the strangest officiated games I’ve ever seen.  To say they let them play would be a serious understatement.  I thought the game was way too physical, and I believe games like this are why the B1G struggles in the tournament.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just got done watching, really glad we found a way to pull that out.

Thought Woody taking the timeout early in the second half was a good move, it stopped the OSU momentum.

Also really liked that he stuck with Gunn when he was having a good game.

Malik had a great second half. X and Gunn had really good contributions too. X just brings a different element to this team that we have really needed, on both ends.

Thought offensively we did a pretty decent job of creating space even though we didn’t shoot a lot of threes. We got guys attacking downhill off various actions and on the break, and I don’t remember a lot of time with two guys posting - there seemed to always be a driving lane available. Good adjustment by the staff/team  

It was a pretty sloppy second half overall for both teams, but our guys just kept coming. Really happy for them that they pulled that one out. Have two pretty manageable games coming up, would love to see us build some momentum in those before the gauntlet after them. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KDB said:

Huge win! 3-1 in conference! I remember when the sky was falling after the Nebraska game 😂

still is, but a home win that we barely pulled out vs an unranked opponent will mask it until we lose at Rutgers.  then we'll be right back where we were.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

so...definitely happy with the win.  really doesn't change anything i've been thinking though.  really like the talent on this team and it's potential.  yes, we are definitely only gonna hit our ceiling if X plays smart and well.  huge to see Gunn play well.  like that Woodson wasn't afraid to sit Mtaco and Ware when things were going well.  also like that the conference isn't great this year.  here's where i hope i'm wrong - still don't think we should be super excited over barely beating an unranked team that may be the 5th or 6th best in the conference at home.  this is actually a game i was counting on winning when i said i thought we'd go around 10-10 in conference and end up on the bubble going into BTT.  now if we pull off Tues, i'll be excited!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so...definitely happy with the win.  really doesn't change anything i've been thinking though.  really like the talent on this team and it's potential.  yes, we are definitely only gonna hit our ceiling if X plays smart and well.  huge to see Gunn play well.  like that Woodson wasn't afraid to sit Mtaco and Ware when things were going well.  also like that the conference isn't great this year.  here's where i hope i'm wrong - still don't think we should be super excited over barely beating an unranked team that may be the 5th or 6th best in the conference at home.  this is actually a game i was counting on winning when i said i thought we'd go around 10-10 in conference and end up on the bubble going into BTT.  now if we pull off Tues, i'll be excited!

Have you ever been optimistic about anything 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I was flipping back and forth with the Colts game, so I missed some of the game. I know it was at home, but a good bounce back win after the disappointing Nebraska game. Hoosiers really need this win at Rutgers on the road on Tuesday. Here’s a tough one, lol

Here’s a tough one,…..lol

…..Last night, my son in law and I were at Assembly Hall enjoying the IU game. In addition, we were trying to keep up with the Colts and Pacers as well as our HS girls/boys double header bb games, all during timeouts and play stoppages. To make things worse, the WiFi inside Assembly Hall was crappy at times and inconsistent the most of the game. 😳😂😅😅

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Indykev said:

Might as well, our bigs get their ass handed to them on the boards every game. I dont know if its a want to thing or are they just soft lazy and weak. There is no reason ever that MM should be cherry picking a dunk while XJ is doing the rebounding. Good win with how bad we rebound and give up 2nd chance points. That needs to get fixed NOW.

It isn’t just our bigs.  Galloway is at .06 rebounds per minute and Gunn is at .05 rebounds per minute.  It would be difficult to find anybody in the country getting significant playing time any lower than that.

1 hour ago, MSHoosier said:

One thing I will say about Gunn, and I think Gunn and Banks need to keep playing and getting the experience they did not get last year,  is that Gunn getting that break-away dunk three point play to start off was huge. I know I'm not alone in thinking getting an easy bucket first thing sets up the game. I know there are several of you guys out there who have played a lot more basketball, but i've told kids that i've coached that don't come in off the bench looking to shoot jumpshots, come in looking for some hustle play or easy bucket to get going and then all of the sudden the rim looks huge.

I agree, but with caveats. I don’t like when they play together because while CJ is a good on ball defender, he is not as good schematically. Throw in Banks who is also not the best schematic defender and our defense becomes Swiss cheese.

…And I don’t like when Banks plays with Malik. Banks asset is curling around screens and driving, but Malik is usually planted in paint, which limits his offensive effectiveness. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 2

Most everything has been covered, so only a couple of thoughts...

Ohio State is much like us as in being young...Once they got up 9 in the 2nd half, they kinda let their foot off the gas, and didn't know how to close on the road...If they keep that core together, they'll  be very tough next year...

Zed Key is a dirty player...Go back and watch the 2nd half...he's constantly pushing in the back on rebounds (he only go called once, but he did it on almost every board) and throwing shoulders on every pick...He floored Galloway with one that never got called, even though you can see his shoulder moving forward as Trey tries to fight through...I've seen his act before, too...

I voted for X as the MVP, taking into account his work on both ends...As I said, Thornton is what makes or breaks them, and he had a poor game...A lot of it due to XJ staying in front of him and being strong enough to deal with his physical play...

And as much as CJ did on offense, I thought his D was pretty stout as well...

• Like 7

Regarding Ware…I was fine with him sitting out large portions. Woodson played a smaller lineup. Malik was on fire. Adding Ware to the floor would’ve clogged up the lane limiting Malik’s ability to make his moves. I hope we look at playing smaller more often. I think it would’ve served us better vs a team like Nebraska.

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Regarding Ware…I was fine with him sitting out large portions. Woodson played a smaller lineup. Malik was on fire. Adding Ware to the floor would’ve clogged up the lane limiting Malik’s ability to make his moves. I hope we look at playing smaller more often. I think it would’ve served us better vs a team like Nebraska.

Yes, it’s weird to think that this was a better team with a first round draft pick on the bench

19 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

It isn’t just our bigs.  Galloway is at .06 rebounds per minute and Gunn is at .05 rebounds per minute.  It would be difficult to find anybody in the country getting significant playing time any lower than that.

I was trying to take a screen shot of some plays but youtube TV wouldn’t let me.

I may be able to understand that our guards aren’t boxing out so they can get out in transition, but when OSU’s guards crashed the glass our guards did not a) put a body on them or b) get out in transition. They were basically just flat-footed watching what was happening. 

Also, Okpara had 15 rebounds and only 6 points - 2 of those points were free throws. I’m guessing the other 2 FG’s were put backs. So, it’s fair to say he’s not an offensive threat. Malik was fronting him the entire time in the post, which is why he kept getting out of position. I’m not sure in the last 5 minutes I saw Malik in good position to get a rebound once….even the rebound he got - he was just standing there with his hands in the air. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I understand. But sometimes, as a fan, it's just enjoyable to be happy when your team wins a game. 

That's fun. My team wins, I am excited. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

If we go 10-10 in conference we won't be on any bubble.  We will be firmly out.

• Like 4