Ohio State Post Game Thread

KDB

5 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I think the airball was just a wierd oops. He intentionally missed the back ends of the other two trips.

I don't think he intentionally missed anything, there would be no point to doing that in any of the scenarios was had. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Took care of business somehow….. rebounding was dreadful/unacceptable and perimeter D still isn’t good. They missed a lot of open opportunities. Anybody is welcome to contribute that partly to D if you’d like, but I think we just finally caught some luck with a team that had an off night from the perimeter. But I’ll take it. (Did do a better job against Battle in the second half). Need and deserve that sometimes. I predicted a win at home (the key), but given the two shortcomings above (OR might as well be turnovers) I don’t have much confidence for Tuesday. 

I know it sounds simplistic, but against anyone but E. Podunk U, IU beats teams that miss open shots and loses to teams that make a reasonable amount of open shots. Just in conference games, MD, MI and OSU missed a lot of open shots. NEB made theirs. As you say, they made a nice adjustment against Battle, but Thornton and Gayle's combined 0-12 from three wasn't due to lock down defense. In a mic'd huddle, Holtmann even told his team that they were getting great looks and that they'd start falling (they never did). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agree. Going off memory and eye test, it feels like our best lineups are:

XJ

Galloway

1 of: Mgbako, Banks or Gunn

Walker

1 of: Ware or Reneau  

I included both Banks and Gunn because they've both had moments of real effectiveness and they've both probably had more moments of being almost unplayable. 

I haven't always been real high on Gunn, but this is a different IU team with XJ healthy and playing like he did yesterday and Gunn playing like he did in the 2nd half. 

It allows us to play quicker, faster and with better perimeter play on both ends. 

To my mind you're being generous saying that Banks has had moments of real effectiveness. I would say he's had moments of being unplayable and moments of being barely adequate. I get benching MM after some of the things he did, but I hope it doesn't continue. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

To my mind you're being generous saying that Banks has had moments of real effectiveness. I would say he's had moments of being unplayable and moments of being barely adequate. I get benching MM after some of the things he did, but I hope it doesn't continue. 

He was really good in the Louisville game. There was another game he played really well (maybe Kansas? Can't remember). He was solid against Kennesaw St. He was actually solid defensively Saturday. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Why would a team miss on purpose with 15 seconds left?

Didn't say that it's usual, but I think that was what he was thinking. They just looked way to planned, right off the front of the rim. Could be totally wrong, it's just what I think he was doing.

6 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Didn't say that it's usual, but I think that was what he was thinking. They just looked way to planned, right off the front of the rim. Could be totally wrong, it's just what I think he was doing.

man i sure hope not.  that would be a terrible strategy.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I think they were that short due to fatigue. 

Typically intentional misses are missed long. 

• Like 2

Good bounce back win. X reminded us all very quickly how important he is and how “speed kills”. Im hoping having him back playing 30+ minutes completely turns the season around. 

This game to me was an important and friendly reminder that based on our teams’ style of play, we really need to be like last year and lean into prioritizing our defense and cleaning up the boards. I don’t love our half court offense, and the fact that we don’t rely on perimeter scoring to win games means we need to be great at other aspects of basketball like drawing more fouls/ extra free throw attempts and points off turnovers. 

I really hope Gunn builds off this because the aforementioned is so much easier to execute with him involved.

And yea let’s learn how to rebound before Tuesday lol. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Why would a team miss on purpose with 15 seconds left?

Yesterday I turned on a game on USA network VCUvs GW. The announcer said that he dumbest thing hing I have ever heard. The score was 82-80 and the ball was with the losing team. The announcer said some coaches might foul up two so they wouldn't get beat by 3. He said it with 19 seconds  left and said the team would have enough time to get a good shot for the win.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yesterday I turned on a game on USA network VCUvs GW. The announcer said that he dumbest thing hing I have ever heard. The score was 82-80 and the ball was with the losing team. The announcer said some coaches might foul up two so they wouldn't get beat by 3. He said it with 19 seconds  left and said the team would have enough time to get a good shot for the win.

I've never once seen a team do that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not following you...Why wouldn't I be able to wear that? 

Thin, white, form fitting 100% polyester. I’m just saying I couldn’t pull it off.                                                             

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Thin, white, form fitting 100% polyester. I’m just saying I couldn’t pull it off.                                                             

Always order loose...

And, if for some reason it doesn't fit loosely enough, put it in a frame and hang it...

I just think it's a nice tribute to RMK

• Like 2