Ohio State Post Game Thread

KDB

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Bro, you need to get in the gym! I'll foot the $10 Planet Fitness for ya!

My son intended to buy me a membership to the Y for Christmas, when we went to get signed up we discovered since I’m Silver Sneakers eligible membership was free. Maybe I’ll get to the point I can wear one?

• Haha 1

Come on gang...we can get a postgame thread win up to least 10 pages right? Every one of our losses is always double digit postgame threads. 10-15 pages immediately. For some reason when we win it's always single digits. 

Probably me just looking at the numbers wrong. 

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Come on gang...we can get a postgame thread win up to least 10 pages right? Every one of our losses is always double digit postgame threads. 10-15 pages immediately. For some reason when we win it's always single digits. 

There is not a message board on the planet that has equal length threads for a win or a loss. That's the nature of all message boards.

Not sure "looking at the numbers" has anything to do with it. It's human nature.

Unless it's a win of epic proportions, championship game etc. 

Losses lead to much longer and heated threads.

As a mod, I appreciate a win.  😜

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

To borrow from Tolstoy, happy wins are all alike; every unhappy loss is unhappy in its own way

• Like 1

I won’t comment on Banks but CJ Gunn can be mesmerizing at 6’6 (at least; compared to the height of some other guys he might even be 6’7), those long arms, agility, lateral ability.  Strong performances against Michigan on the road and now Ohio State.  

I am a flow guy.  When you catch the ball in rhythm and the flow of the game, you’re more apt to make it.  We see that when Gunn does well.  Other times, he forces something up outside the flow and rhythm.  Everybody has played with guys who just jack it up with zero feel for the rhythm of the play, context of the game, value of the possession, etc.  Woody is talking to him about it, based on even Gunn’s comments, and the way he was yanked immediately after launching an ill-advised long two at Lincoln.

Anyway, when Gunn gets a sweat going, lets the game come to him, and avoids the “look what I found, I am putting up an 18 footer” he can be a huge asset.  His length, agility, long arms, and activeness is a pretty powerful combo and not something you can just find anywhere.  He also shoots better when he calms down and lets the game come to him instead of launching shots in a jittery way like a nervous tick.

There is zero reason why he can’t string together some consistent performances.  I think he can do it with a consistent approach.  OSU should open his eyes on what is possible if he approaches the game right.  Same thing as Michigan.  He’s done it against high level comp even on the road.   

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

This is Indiana…..winning is expected!!! Not much to discuss when we do what we’re expected to do…win! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I won’t comment on Banks but CJ Gunn can be mesmerizing at 6’6 (at least; compared to the height of some other guys he might even be 6’7), those long arms, agility, lateral ability.  Strong performances against Michigan on the road and now Ohio State.  

I am a flow guy.  When you catch the ball in rhythm and the flow of the game, you’re more apt to make it.  We see that when Gunn does well.  Other times, he forces something up outside the flow and rhythm.  Everybody has played with guys who just jack it up with zero feel for the rhythm of the play, context of the game, value of the possession, etc.  Woody is talking to him about it, based on even Gunn’s comments, and the way he was yanked immediately after launching an ill-advised long two at Lincoln.

Anyway, when Gunn gets a sweat going, lets the game come to him, and avoids the “look what I found, I am putting up an 18 footer” he can be a huge asset.  His length, agility, long arms, and activeness is a pretty powerful combo and not something you can just find anywhere.  He also shoots better when he calms down and lets the game come to him instead of launching shots in a jittery way like a nervous tick.

There is zero reason why he can’t string together some consistent performances.  I think he can do it with a consistent approach.  OSU should open his eyes on what is possible if he approaches the game right.  Same thing as Michigan.  He’s done it against high level comp even on the road.   

Agreed with all of this, but the bold is what I think is the biggest thing for Gunn. CJ seems to love taking off-balanced or pull up midranges shots, which are just terrible shots to take unless it’s late in the shot clock. If he focussed on taking open threes and attacking the rim, I think he could be a very productive player for us.

Unfortunately he hasn’t really shown that outside of the Michigan and Ohio State games. Because of that, he has some of the worst shooting stats in the entire conference. It all comes down to shot selection with him imo.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

i agree and will go another step - i like that Woodson pulled Mtaco every time he made a bonehead play.  i also wonder if CJ can put on some weight and muscle and be closer to the traditional 3 that we are missing?  now - of course to finish on a negative note - let's see if that was 1 game for Gunn or a turning of the corner.  road game tonight will likely bring out all of the uglies.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Nobody ever said intelligence was a pre-req, folks! 

i am a special ed teacher who mainly co-teaches math classes, but once a year i co-teach and English class with a tremendous teacher.  that always gives me a chance to expand my vocab a little and/or remember words i already knew, but forgot. 

we always laugh somewhat inappropriately when we say/discuss banal.  not because it means anything like what it sounds, but that it sounds inappropriate for school.  we're a little like Beavis and Butthead at times.  same as when we have to do to our after school "duty."