March Madness 2024

You have to wonder what Caleb Furst was thinking last night. Three years in and he was a non-factor. He played one minute in the title game. I don't think he played at all against NC state. Just a spectator for the tournament. He could have contributed at IU. I think the kid can play. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

No adjustment to be made for Purdue. Be able to guard Edey 1 on 1... 

Dominate Purdue 1-4. We did it twice last year. 

Not sure what adjustments Painter could have made. They were severely outmatched athletically at every position but center.  The height and length for UConn was evident just by eyesight on the court. The guy guarding Smith dwarfed him. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

You have to wonder what Caleb Furst was thinking last night. Three years in and he was a non-factor. He played one minute in the title game. I don't think he played at all against NC state. Just a spectator for the tournament. He could have contributed at IU. I think the kid can play

I guess why? 

How would he gets points at the power D1 level? Who can he guard? Has he put on any muscle or weight since being in college? 

Edited by btownqb

56 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Theyve issued a BOLO for Hermey. Official record said he was on the court for 30 minutes, but there was no actual sighting. 

image.thumb.png.3e8475819e2d580bb70cb2fcdd42b81c.png

Yeah but... do you realize how loud he yells when he draws a charge? VERY LOUD

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yeah but... do you realize how loud he yells when he draws a charge? VERY LOUD

Fletcher Loyer yelling after taking a charge vs. Fletcher Loyer trying to get that call by falling to the ground when someone gets too close:

6835a1feaed22a0dd5667b6c801b4522969a18fe230c4b93c407b51eb97d05d9_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, btownqb said:

No adjustment to be made for Purdue. Be able to guard Edey 1 on 1... 

Dominate Purdue 1-4. We did it twice last year. 

The fact that a pro level guard didn't want to join Purdue to play with Edey speaks volumes about the state of Big Ten Basketball. The Big Ten currently has the fewest guards in the NBA out of all the P6 schools. It's crazy to me that 5 star guard didn't to play for Purdue. I'm sure that Painters style of play had something to do with this but the BIG TEN has to change how it plays MBB if it wants to win a championship again. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, SawatchHoosier said:

The fact that a pro level guard didn't want to join Purdue to play with Edey speaks volumes about the state of Big Ten Basketball. The Big Ten currently has the fewest guards in the NBA out of all the P6 schools. It's crazy to me that 5 star guard didn't to play for Purdue. I'm sure that Painters style of play had something to do with this but the BIG TEN has to change how it plays MBB if it wants to win a championship again. 

I think the conference's thoroughbred just needs to do its job. We are the reason the B1G can't win a title. 

We're the only team churning out many pro guards-- Yogi, VO, Romeo, JHS, even Troy Williams. (and we still haven't had enough)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

B1G needs to put an end to rugby-ball. Purdue had their fun, but let's put an end to camping in the lane, then elbowing your way to an easy layup.

Wisky seems like they're moving away from the overt physicality.  Painter seems to have doubled down with his future centers. Now's the time, with our west coast additions, to send out a memo to all schools that the B1G is serious about playing modern basketball. That's the only way the B1G can start competing again.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

B1G needs to put an end to rugby-ball. Purdue had their fun, but let's put an end to camping in the lane, then elbowing your way to an easy layup.

Wisky seems like they're moving away from the overt physicality.  Painter seems to have doubled down with his future centers. Now's the time, with our west coast additions, to send out a memo to all schools that the B1G is serious about playing modern basketball. That's the only way the B1G can start competing again.

Nebraska is also playing a modern game as well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Nebraska is also playing a modern game as well.

I do have to laugh a bit though. When we've run the "weave" or whatever you want to call it at the top of the key, everyone complains about it. UConn ran that set quite a few times in the second half. I believe Archie ran that offense more so than Woody though. IU needs athletic guards. However, if you ask me, it wasn't necessarily UConn's "modern offense" that beat PU it was their speed and athletic ability on defense that shut PU down. PU's guards were dominated defensively. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Courtsense2 said:

Perimeter defense won this game.

Oh no doubt. Loyer, Gillis, snd Jones could get nothing from the outside. Forced them to drive where UConns length was able to limit looks and passes. Smith played a good game for the most part and got some open attempts at the basket because they woukdnt leave Edey. That said he looked exhausted along Edey…all the minutes and the physicality and size wore on him. He will continue to get better and better but last night was the perfect storm to defend Purdue. Long athletic, switchable guys 1-4 and a big that mostly could handle Edey 1-1 and hold his own. It was a bad matchup for them…heck UConn was a bad matchup for just about anyone. 

48 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I do have to laugh a bit though. When we've run the "weave" or whatever you want to call it at the top of the key, everyone complains about it. UConn ran that set quite a few times in the second half. I believe Archie ran that offense more so than Woody though. IU needs athletic guards. However, if you ask me, it wasn't necessarily UConn's "modern offense" that beat PU it was their speed and athletic ability on defense that shut PU down. PU's guards were dominated defensively. 

BINGO! IU runs that weave at the top but we don't have the guys that are both threats to drive and shoot the 3 like UConn.

PU came out committed to keeping UConn from taking the 3 and dropping Edey to protect the paint. UConn burned them from the elbow (much like JHS did) and that opened up the paint and the 3-point line. NCState did similar but just didn't have enough guys that could make shots

Edited by HoosierDPU95
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Euroclydon said:

You have to wonder what Caleb Furst was thinking last night. Three years in and he was a non-factor. He played one minute in the title game. I don't think he played at all against NC state. Just a spectator for the tournament. He could have contributed at IU. I think the kid can play. 

He’ll get his chance next year but he has seemingly regressed since his freshman year. 

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Oh no doubt. Loyer, Gillis, snd Jones could get nothing from the outside. Forced them to drive where UConns length was able to limit looks and passes. Smith played a good game for the most part and got some open attempts at the basket because they woukdnt leave Edey. That said he looked exhausted along Edey…all the minutes and the physicality and size wore on him. He will continue to get better and better but last night was the perfect storm to defend Purdue. Long athletic, switchable guys 1-4 and a big that mostly could handle Edey 1-1 and hold his own. It was a bad matchup for them…heck UConn was a bad matchup for just about anyone. 

Hit the nail on the head. UConn is on a heck of a run and Purdue just lost to a better team. No shame in that. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

BINGO! IU runs that weave at the top but we don't have the guys that are both threats to drive and shoot the 3 like UConn.

PU came out to keeping UConn from taking the 3 and dropping Edey to protect the paint. UConn burned them from the elbow (much like JHS did) and that opened up the paint and the 3-point line. NCState did similar but just didn't have enough guys that could make shots

You have to run the weave with a purpose and players who can take advantage when the time comes.  We run the weave just to move the ball around with no actual purpose to do anything with it.  When you watch UConn or any other talented team run that, they have have guards who are looking for a reason to drive and dish or taken an open 3.  We just run through the motion with no real purpose of why we're doing it.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Purdues guards: out to prove we aren't the weakness 

Purdues guards: 91 mins 17 points. 6-20 FGs 

Sorry nerds, still the weakness. No Edey will expose that more next year. 

I’d argue they proved it against everyone minus UConn. UConn was just on another level. They held up fine against a solid Tennessee defense.  

9 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

You have to run the weave with a purpose and players who can take advantage when the time comes.  When you watch UConn or anyone other talented team run that, they have have guards who are looking for a reason to drive and dish or taken an open 3.  We just run trot through the motion with no purpose of why we're doing it.

1 adjustment needed from my point of view.

Edited by DWB
  • Like 3