Next Season Expectations

Obviously it’s early, but a good topic of discussion. We have a pretty good idea of our main core for next year. (I think it’s safe to assume Carlyle is in that group).

So… What are your expectations for next season? What would be disappointing?

• Like 1

Well--- the way it's shaping up right now-- the B1G sucks (same as last year). I expect to win the conference. Top 4 seed, like two years ago, but we gotta make the 2nd weekend.... 

Sooooo... anything less than a 4-5 seed, less than a 13-7 conference record, and NOT making the 2nd weekend would be pretty disappointing. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, KDB said:

Obviously it’s early, but a good topic of discussion. We have a pretty good idea of our main core for next year. (I think it’s safe to assume Carlyle is in that group).

So… What are your expectations for next season? What would be disappointing?

I am going to wait on this one. But i think the national media is setting this one up. I thought I saw something where they said if we end up with Carlyle, it's a top 25 team and B1G title contender.

Last year they had IU at mid pack of the B1G and 30-40 preseason. and I think we have a lot more unknowns this year.... currently speaking. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Well--- the way it's shaping up right now-- the B1G sucks (same as last year). I expect to win the conference. Top 4 seed, like two years ago, but we gotta make the 2nd weekend.... 

Sooooo... anything less than a 4-5 seed, less than a 13-7 conference record, and NOT making the 2nd weekend would be pretty disappointing. 

I would say that this is about where my bar is for Woody to stick around. 

• Like 2

I’m not sure. I would like to complete for the Big Ten Title! Make the NCAA tournament as a top 4 or better seed. Here’s my concerns. Our problems last season were 3 point shooting and free throws. The guard We picked up shots 27.5 % from three point line. The center we picked up shoots 49% from free throw line. Has me concerned.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

I’m not sure. I would like to complete for the Big Ten Title! Make the NCAA tournament as a top 4 or better seed. Here’s my concerns. Our problems last season were 3 point shooting and free throws. The guard We picked up shots 27.5 % from three point line. The center we picked up shoots 49% from free throw line. Has me concerned.

The guard we picked up shoots 81.1% from the free throw line. The center we picked up shoots over 65% from the field. Even with his strugles at the line, Ballo's True Shooting percentage (includes 2s, 3s, and FTs) of 62.5% would have been tops on our team last year.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I would say that this is about where my bar is for Woody to stick around. 

Bingo. You spend this coin, I am not interested in seeing us beat KSU, FGCU, Wright St, Army, and Morehead St by a combined 37 points. We should be beating each of those teams by that amount. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

I think this is overblown. Yes we do need those things. But it is not the only things we need/needed. We filled some of the gapping holes from last year. Yes we didnt shoot the three well. Yes our FT % was crap. But we didn't do ANYTHING well enough to make up those deficiencies. Rebounding, getting to the rim, creating shots, defense.

If the defense is better getting 3 more stops a game, Opp % slightly worse, outrebound the Opp by 10/game, get to the rim more you will create more open threes (hopefully increasing %), create fouls (Opp foul trouble). Just those small improvements you're talking what... at least 10 point differential per game?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

You can't have the B1G FOY, Pac 12 FOY and a 2 time all Pac 12 player and not be a top 20 team, top three in B1G and at least a Sweet 16. Anything less would be a failure. They will easily be one of the three most talented teams in the B1G.

hopefully they dont hit that sophomore slump and hit the Armaan Franklin or even better yet Victor sophomore leap.

If we add Carlyle to the group we should be top 20, competing for a conference title and at least a 2nd weekend team. This is Woodson's 4th year and he would tell you this needs to be a 2nd weekend team. One thing we still need is a bona-fide shooter, I'm optimistic we land one.

• Like 1

I remain a fan but my opinion has not changed. I still want Woodson gone. I realize that will not happen.I think he is Calipari 2.0.  He will only win with overwhelming talent. With the changes we presumably will have for next year anything short of Big 1-3 finish, deep run in BIG tourney, and Sweet 16 are the floor.  I assume I'm a minority opinion but so be it.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

hopefully they dont hit that sophomore slump and hit the Armaan Franklin or even better yet Victor sophomore leap.

If Rice, Carlyle, and MM make a jump anything like Malik's good lord. 

Mackenzie needs to get on MR's weight program and let'ssss gooooo. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

New offseason, same optimism. 

How many times have we said top 1-3 conference, second weekend, top 25 team over the last 20 years.

I have zero expectations for IU basketball.  So at least when they are good i will be surprised and excited. :D 

2013, 2016 for me. 2012 was a fantastic surprise. 

I thought 2022, then XJ got hurt. I thought 2017 and OG went down. 

• Like 1

My expectations are the season goes well enough I can actually finish watching games. That I don’t need to stay off the board for a day or two after a game. That things go well enough this board is actually enjoyable to visit during season.

• Like 7

It's way too early for me to have expectations on the exact results.

I do have expectations about process though, both from players and staff.

With the money the players are pulling in (and I'm not begrudging it), I expect that they do the work. I expect that they represent the University in the best way, both on and off the court, and they do everything in their power to make INDIANA a force to be reckoned with. I expect that they work their asses off over the summer to be the best basketball players they can be. I expect each and every one of them to understand their roles, adapt when asked, and do what the staff needs them to do to be successful. If it's the "little things" and not scoring, don't care -- do it.

For the staff, my expectations are to take whatever recruiting energy they have been using and apply that to the season. Treat each game with the same high level of urgency and importance. I expect CMW to adapt when necessary; take suggestions, not be so prideful or staunch in certain approaches if they clearly aren't working. I expect him to keep each player accountable on (and off) the court. Nobody is too good to sit on the bench if they're not doing what they need. I expect him to coach better and take more accountability for being the leader of this program. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.

I expect the pursuit of excellence. And the results will hopefully take care of themselves. 

• Like 2

I'm going to temper my expectations.  A lot of excitement about new guys coming on board, but new is always exciting, but often disappoints.  

I dont watch enough basketball outside of the Big Ten to have a good feel for the impact Rice and Ballo will have.

What I do know is our best player from last season is going to the NBA.  Let's not lose sight of the impact Ware had last season.  We were probably a 10-12 win team without him.

Mgbako is the key for me.  If he can become a Christian Watford type player, IU has a chance to be good.  If not, next year may be a little bit better than this past year, but I'm not expecting a conference title or a Sweet 16 run if Mgbako doesnt take a big step forward.

New is exciting, but it's also unknown.  I'm going to take a wait and see.  I always overrate IU at the start of the season.  Not going to do that any more.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

New is exciting, but it's also unknown.  I'm going to take a wait and see.  I always overrate IU at the start of the season.  Not going to do that any more.

This explains the numerous ex-wives too! 

• Haha 6

Just now, IU Scott said:

40-0 and win every game by 13+ in every game. Our fan base still finds something to complain about during this season 

I'm screenshotting this in anticipation of its frequent quoting and reuse come next January. 🤣

• Like 2

Just now, IU Scott said:

40-0 and win every game by 13+ in every game. Our fan base still finds something to complain about during this season 

Seriously I think it is still early to really know because we don't know what other teams roster will be.

A top 3 finish in the big ten and make the sweet 16 or better would be great.

I guess Tony Algdrande on Assembly Call said with the addition of Ballo and Carlyle have us 15th in Torvich rankings