Next Season Expectations

1 hour ago, DWB said:

I still think we need to find a true point guard. Rice may be an OK part time at the 1, Cupps isn't even close to being a true PG (yet), and I'd rather have Gallo @ 2-3.

We've got the opening, just need to fill it. Seems like most of the attention in the portal is 2-5 positions. (we needed those as well, but I'd like a knock down shooter point guard)

Rice is a true point guard

We are going to need to shoot in the mid 30s as a team from 3.  And it would be nice to have 2 players closers to 40% on mid to higher volume.  Is is absolutely required, no, but it has been a glaring hole for IU for quite some time.  I know people don't think its that important, but to me its the biggest missing piece we have had for years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

We are going to need to shoot in the mid 30s as a team from 3.  And it would be nice to have 2 players closers to 40% on mid to higher volume.  Is is absolutely required, no, but it has been a glaring hole for IU for quite some time.  I know people don't think its that important, but to me its the biggest missing piece we have had for years.

I see where people saying guys like Rice or Carlyle are had shooters. I don't totally agree with that because there is more to shooting than just shooting 3's. I just look at Carlyle who went 32/100 from 3 which makes him a bad shooter. If he would have just hit 5 more to go 37/100 that would have made him an above average shooter. So hitting 5 more shots over a 31 game schedule is the difference from a great shooter to a bad shooter.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I know people don't think its that important, but to me its the biggest missing piece we have had for years.

Oh I'd say everyone this offseason thought that shooters would ward off the impending apocalypse. 

I would rather have 4 guys on the roster that were low-mid 30s on volume than 2 guys close to 40.  Purdue's outside game was based around having 3-4 other guys on the floor that were a reliable threat to hit a 3.  Their highest volume shooter was Jones, and he shot 35%, not 40.  We had MM. Now, Carlyle fits the same mold (32% on decent volume), Rice shot pretty well until he hit the wall, Goode should be an ideal fit.  

That moves us from one to three, plus a pretty sure. 

Cupps and Reneau both shot at a decent percentage on limited volume, so those are a few wild cards.  Oh, and although Galloway isn't the best 3 point shooter....he's not afraid to throw them up there.  😂

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I see where people saying guys like Rice or Carlyle are had shooters. I don't totally agree with that because there is more to shooting than just shooting 3's. I just look at Carlyle who went 32/100 from 3 which makes him a bad shooter. If he would have just hit 5 more to go 37/100 that would have made him an above average shooter. So hitting 5 more shots over a 31 game schedule is the difference from a great shooter to a bad shooter.

I think when people say "shooter", they mean "3 point shooter".  Most do anyway. 

2 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

It's good to see our name on these lists again.  What really stood out to me was that there are five B18 teams listed ahead of us.   

Surprised IL isn't on either list. They have some nice pieces coming in.