Next Season Expectations

7 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Zeesh, I’m sorry I was dreaming out loud!

haha i get what you were saying. And i realized what you were saying was a dream scenario. 

My point is the notion that "if transfer player was good enough they dont care who is there" That is roughly 0% true.

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Agree. Then I mentioned, "I don't care if Cupps transfers on BTBers" (with the context of Hemenway committing) and it was like I told them to learn Spanish.  

Some guys catch flak, some get passes. Idc that Cupps was a FR, he wasn't good, at all. Malik is a stud and needs more coaching and skill development. 

Malik SO eFG%- .579

TJD SR eFG%- .581 

Don’t know if I’d go as far to say idc if Cupps transfers, but I do agree he was bad last year, but for whatever reason seemed to get a pass.

Malik’s issue wasn’t scoring. On offense his issue was poor decisions leading to turnovers. There’s a reason Malik’s ortg is well below TJD’s in the season’s you referenced.

His bigger issue last year was he was a liability on defense and wasn’t a very good rebounder for his position. Still a good player, but imo looking at shooting % or points per game will overstate how good he was.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Don’t know if I’d go as far to say idc if Cupps transfers, but I do agree he was bad last year, but for whatever reason seemed to get a pass.

Malik’s issue wasn’t scoring. On offense his issue was poor decisions leading to turnovers. There’s a reason Malik’s ortg is well below TJD’s in the season’s you referenced.

His bigger issue last year was he was a liability on defense and wasn’t a very good rebounder for his position. Still a good player, but imo looking at shooting % or points per game will overstate how good he was.

Totally agree with the part I bolded. To me,  we are only as good next year as Malik is on defense. If he gives up a little offensive usage rate to concentrate on defense and rebounding, we will be a much better team.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kdug said:

Malik was smart enough to get the ball to Ware, so he averaged 2.7 apg, essentially tied with XJ. He averaged 2.8 TOs, versus 2.3 for XJ. For a second year 4, those are pretty good numbers. I don’t think his decision-making of shoot or pass to Ware was bad, given the other options. 
He does need to learn to stay out of foul trouble, but I think he’ll start to get the upperclassman respect from the B1G officials 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Malik was smart enough to get the ball to Ware, so he averaged 2.7 apg, essentially tied with XJ. He averaged 2.8 TOs, versus 2.3 for XJ.

I think using Johnson as a comparison is setting the bar pretty low.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Malik was smart enough to get the ball to Ware, so he averaged 2.7 apg, essentially tied with XJ. He averaged 2.8 TOs, versus 2.3 for XJ. For a second year 4, those are pretty good numbers. I don’t think his decision-making of shoot or pass to Ware was bad, given the other options. 
He does need to learn to stay out of foul trouble, but I think he’ll start to get the upperclassman respect from the B1G officials 

Yeah, offensively I thought he was good, just getting that TO number down is the next step. Felt like a lot of the TOs were from trying to force something that wasn’t there, instead of passing to the open man. Maybe it was because he didn’t trust our shooters, we’ll see this year. Even with no offensive improvements he’ll still be good on that end.

Imo the fouls were more of a symptom of the defensive issues rather than the actual cause. It felt like Malik got beat a lot which is why he fouled. He has to learn to just let it go when he’s beat, but that doesn’t fix the defense. That’s the end of the court, along with rebounding, he needs to improve to take his game to the next level.

On 5/2/2024 at 12:22 PM, southsidehoosier said:

These guys hit the nail on the head. My biggest concern. I think the shooting is there…just wonder if Woody and staff can utilize it with the right lineups and some new wrinkles in the offense and not our predictable weave crap.

• Haha 1

On 4/29/2024 at 3:36 PM, Maedhros said:

FWIW, here are the current projections at BartTorvik:

• 6 - UCLA
  • 9 - Purdue
  • 15 - Michigan St
  • 16 - Indiana
  • 20 - Nebraska
  • 21 - Michigan
  • 25 - Rutgers
  • 27 - Northwestern
  • 29 - USC
  • 32 - Wisconsin
  • 34 - Ohio St
  • 39 - Maryland
  • 41 - Oregon
  • 54 - Iowa
  • 65 - Illinois
  • 66 - Minnesota
  • 78 - Washington
  • 85 - Penn St

And filling all that out just confirms the Big Ten has entirely too many teams.

Teams will continue filling out their rosters over the weeks to come, so with a mostly set roster it's possible we could get jumped. Michigan adding Goldin today gave them a big boost. Also, I suppose the portal is still open for another day or so, and you might still see guys leave; Illinois lost another just today.

Indiana down to 20th nationally today on Torvik. Still 4th in the Big Ten. This kind of movement should be expected, as we filled our rotation early in the portal season and other teams will continue adding pieces. This dynamic was always important to keep in mind when you hear places talking up Indiana as a top ten team or a Big Ten favorite. 

5 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Indiana down to 20th nationally today on Torvik. Still 4th in the Big Ten. This kind of movement should be expected, as we filled our rotation early in the portal season and other teams will continue adding pieces. This dynamic was always important to keep in mind when you hear places talking up Indiana as a top ten team or a Big Ten favorite. 

I'd agree.  We've had fans set expectations for winning the Big Ten and going into the second weekend of the tournament or "Woody can't coach".  IU is a long way from the only team, even in the Big Ten, with a talented roster.  With the exception of the tall stiff, Turdue got most of their important pieces back (they still suck) and there are at least 2-3 other very talented rosters in the conference.  It's a little misplaced to predict conference championships before we've even seen the team play together.  I definitely have greater expectations than last season, but it seems some of IU's fans have perhaps gotten a little ahead of themselves.

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 1