Next Season Expectations

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

If heaven doesn't have HSN access, just send me to hell. 

Not like I haven't had reserved seats there anyway, but still.....

Side effect of dating a PU coed. God is an IU fan!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rice

Carlyle 

Mgbako

Reanu 

Ballo

Galloway

Tucker

I say it's fair to have high expectations. The staff and boosters have done their job in the off season. No doubt. 

Now let's see a different style of play and let these talented kids get after it.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Rice, Carlyle, Ballo and Tucker for Gunn, Banks, Sparks and Ware…I’ll take it.

Ballo-Ware is a breakeven, maybe a slight edge to Ware. 

Rice/Carlyle/Tucker for Gunn/Banks/X, that’s not even a fair comparison. I took Sparks out since he was a F and not a G/wing, but same difference. 

• Like 1

One expectation I won’t have at the beginning of next season: if we don’t systematically destroy some of our first few “real” opponents, I’m not going to freak out. This is a ton of new talent that has never played together before. It may take some time to gel. 

Now one expectation I will have is that the Kennesaw States and Southwest Saskatchewan A&Ts of the world won’t be close and that we’re not getting blown out in those first few “real” games. 

• Like 1

I have to hold off until i see who we get to play big minutes when MR hacks away on D. And a 15-20 minute 5. Not even sure what a knock down shooter is anymore to ask for it. We have to hope everyone takes a step forward with their shooting. i will revisit once the last 3 holes are filled.

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

That's what I like with the way this roster has turned out.  We can go really, really big with Ballo, Reneau, MM, Goode/Galloway and Carlyle, where the shortest guy on the floor is 6'3".  We can also go really, really fast with Reneau, MM, Tucker/Goode, Carlyle and Rice.  And there's countless combinations in between. 

Bringing over your response to this thread...

I'd insert Gallo as the 3 in your fast lineup. 

Step 1 of the rebuild - assembling the roster- is coming together nicely.

Now we just need to see step 2- this team learning to play together- and step 3- coaching and in game adjustments to take advantage of this roster- to fall into place. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Reacher said:

Bringing over your response to this thread...

I'd insert Gallo as the 3 in your fast lineup. 

Step 1 of the rebuild - assembling the roster- is coming together nicely.

Now we just need to see step 2- this team learning to play together- and step 3- coaching and in game adjustments to take advantage of this roster- to fall into place. 

Those are the 64k questions right there.  Can we take the pieces we have and turn them into something enjoyable to watch and win games.  As we say every year, we have talent.  We should be able to compete for a top 3 and a long Tourney run.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Can we take the pieces we have and turn them into something enjoyable to watch and win games.  

Winning is what makes games enjoyable. I heard Purdue’s play last year described as “boring” because all they would do is pound the ball into Edey. Yeah…but they won. I’d rather be boring and victorious than an entertaining loser. 

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

Winning is what makes games enjoyable. I heard Purdue’s play last year described as “boring” because all they would do is pound the ball into Edey. Yeah…but they won. I’d rather be boring and victorious than an entertaining loser. 

True, but i would prefer to have a modern enjoyable style of play that is setting up a sustainable way of recruiting while also winning.  I want my cake and eat it in the bed i made :D 

Overall, I like the potential versatility. We have a lot of multi-positional players. The question on everybody's mind is how versatile Woody will get and what combos will work defensively. 

Gallo 1-2-3
Carylle 1-2
MM 3-4
Malik 4-5
Tucker 2-3
Goode (fingers crossed) 3-4

Ballo will probably only play the 5. And while Rice may be able to play off the ball, I'd imagine he'd be the primary ball handler at the 1 when he's on the court. 

We always say we hav a lot of depth at this time of year, but at least on paper, it seems that we can show the opposition a lot of different looks. 

I still think we need to find a true point guard. Rice may be an OK part time at the 1, Cupps isn't even close to being a true PG (yet), and I'd rather have Gallo @ 2-3.

We've got the opening, just need to fill it. Seems like most of the attention in the portal is 2-5 positions. (we needed those as well, but I'd like a knock down shooter point guard)

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

43 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Overall, I like the potential versatility. We have a lot of multi-positional players. The question on everybody's mind is how versatile Woody will get and what combos will work defensively. 

Gallo 1-2-3
Carylle 1-2
MM 3-4
Malik 4-5
Tucker 2-3
Goode (fingers crossed) 3-4

Ballo will probably only play the 5. And while Rice may be able to play off the ball, I'd imagine he'd be the primary ball handler at the 1 when he's on the court. 

We always say we hav a lot of depth at this time of year, but at least on paper, it seems that we can show the opposition a lot of different looks. 

Not to dive too much into this, since it's the expectations thread, but I think he (CMW) could really make life easier on himself... by just getting Malik/Ballo out of the game early--- 16/17 minute mark-- get one of them out, get TG in... 

Bring the other back in at the 13/14 minute mark when the other one needs a break... and then go from there. The caveat is Malik's foul trouble, while it improved drastically from his FR year-- there's still work to be done... at the same time, I don't think Malik needs to average much over 28/29 mins anyway, he was at that mark this past season. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DWB said:

I still think we need to find a true point guard. Rice may be an OK part time at the 1, Cupps isn't even close to being a true PG (yet), and I'd rather have Gallo @ 2-3.

We've got the opening, just need to fill it. Seems like most of the attention in the portal is 2-5 positions. (we needed those as well, but I'd like a knock down shooter point guard)

We have 4 players who can play the 1: Carlyle, Cupps, Gallo and Rice. Granted that you ideally don't want Gallo to play PG for long stretches, but he can help out in a pinch. 

I think that if we get Goode, the next main priority would be a 4/5 guy who can get rebounds and protect the rim. I don't think we'd need him to score much. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DWB said:

I fail to see any mins left at the 1-3, especially if Goode is added. Heck, the backup roles are already filled in those spots, as well. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

We have 4 players who can play the 1: Carlyle, Cupps, Gallo and Rice. Granted that you ideally don't want Gallo to play PG for long stretches, but he can help out in a pinch. 

I think that if we get Goode, the next main priority would be a 4/5 guy who can get rebounds and protect the rim. I don't think we'd need him to score much. 

Carlyle was asked to do too much last year with all the facilitating of the offense he was expected to do. Him playing with Rice makes him so intriguing!

• Like 3

On 4/21/2024 at 12:00 AM, Zlinedavid said:

One expectation I won’t have at the beginning of next season: if we don’t systematically destroy some of our first few “real” opponents, I’m not going to freak out. This is a ton of new talent that has never played together before. It may take some time to gel. 

Now one expectation I will have is that the Kennesaw States and Southwest Saskatchewan A&Ts of the world won’t be close and that we’re not getting blown out in those first few “real” games. 

And I’m hoping not to see lots of mass substitutions.