Big Ten 2020-2021

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agree 100% about the offense. Most kids can’t execute it at a high level but because nba teams want to see how kids will translate to their system and draft accordingly teams run it to draw nba potential kids to their rosters. Disagree about the shot clock. I think that isn’t a problem as much as the poor execution of the talent that is playing. Raising the clock back up makes it just too long for defenses to try to defend successfully.

It has lead to a lot lower scoring than when it was at 45.  Today you will see at least 10-15 possession s a game where a bad shot has to be taken at the end of the shot clock.  Most kids from high school never played with a shot clock and now they are expected to run an offense in 30 seconds.  Like I said watching older games you usually never had the shot clock mentioned one in a game but now it is always in play.  the thing is that it seemed like back then most shots were taken within 15 seconds f the possession.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It has lead to a lot lower scoring than when it was at 45.  Today you will see at least 10-15 possession s a game where a bad shot has to be taken at the end of the shot clock.  Most kids from high school never played with a shot clock and now they are expected to run an offense in 30 seconds.  Like I said watching older games you usually never had the shot clock mentioned one in a game but now it is always in play.  the thing is that it seemed like back then most shots were taken within 15 seconds f the possession.

Women play with the same short clock and their scoring is just fine if not going up. It isn’t the shot clock...to me it’s more the offenses/coaching going on and the reffing/foul rules that hinder better flow for men’s basketball. I also could see how adding defensive 3seconds could help open up spacing on the floor and improve dribble drive and scoring at the rim. Also would have less charge/blocking scenarios because there wouldn’t be such a crowded lane and we know how awful college officiating is with charging calls. There are several things that can be done to increase scoring...why not add continuation like in nba? I also feel like six fouls is a big deal as well...too many times teams best player have to sit for way too many extended minutes in first half of games because of two early fouls...you take the best players off the floor early you are going to hurt scoring. Many many factors. I’m sure others will see it differently and interested in their opinions.

Edited by dgambill

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Women play with the same short clock and their scoring is just fine if not going up. It isn’t the shot clock...to me it’s more the offenses/coaching going on and the reffing/foul rules that hinder better flow for men’s basketball. I also could see how adding defensive 3seconds could help open up spacing on the floor and improve dribble drive and scoring at the rim. Also would have less charge/blocking scenarios because there wouldn’t be such a crowded lane and we know how awful college officiating is with charging calls. There are several things that can be done to increase scoring...why not add continuation like in nba? I also feel like six fouls is a big deal as well...too many times teams best player have to sit for way too many extended minutes in first half of games because of two early fouls...you take the best players off the floor early you are going to hurt scoring. Many many factors. I’m sure others will see it differently and interested in their opinions.

They don't even call offensive 3 seconds so why have a defensive 3 second

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Trying to watch the Maryland and PSU game but the offense is so bad.  Most of the time I can't figure out what the offense is trying to accomplish.  With under 7 minutes to go in the half it is 11-11

Yeah, I'm watching it too...Maryland has to have 10 TOs...

At the under 8, it was 7-7. Christ, I kept waiting for them to do the center jump after every made basket...

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, I'm watching it too...Maryland has to have 10 TOs...

At the under 8, it was 7-7. Christ, I kept waiting for them to do the center jump after every made basket...

How is it a good offense just dribbling 25 feet away from the basket for 20 seconds. Also PSU sometimes just runs around like a chicken with their heads cut off with no purpose. They catch it and start driving without looking for an open guy and drive into a double team.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They don't even call offensive 3 seconds so why have a defensive 3 second

I see it called quite regularly in the nba. If you make it a point of emphasis they will call it. Better than the crappy charge calls and there would be open lanes and much more room for driving and finishing.

Just now, dgambill said:

I see it called quite regularly in the nba. If you make it a point of emphasis they will call it. Better than the crappy charge calls and there would be open lanes and much more room for driving and finishing.

I wish they would away with the circle under the basket for the charge call.  They will automatically call it a charge if they are outside the arc and not worry about if they get there in time

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

On the other hand there is absolutely no defense being played in the NBA

Yep...which do you want...hard to have it both ways lol. But there is a lot more rooms for back cuts and dribble drive in the nba...so a lot more straight line drives and finishes once a guy beats his man there isn’t a defender there to slide in front for a charge...it’s usually uncontested layup. 

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yep...which do you want...hard to have it both ways lol. But there is a lot more rooms for back cuts and dribble drive in the nba...so a lot more straight line drives and finishes once a guy beats his man there isn’t a defender there to slide in front for a charge...it’s usually uncontested layup. 

In the first 4 minutes of the Pacers games there were 6 layups combined and it was from the half court offense.  There was no defensive player neat them

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The thing is if they would teach the players to pull up and shoot a 10 foot shot instead of going all the way to the basket

I am sorry but what we are seeing today is not basketball it at least the way it was meant to be played.  Basketball was meant to be game of movement and passing and something that was beautiful to watch.  It is not meant to have players dribble constantly and players standing around.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I see a lot of players trying to get the hair out of their eyes and think why not cut it.  Last night watching the Pacers I saw Sabonis doing this many times.  It was like Matt Haarms a few years ago.

Funny I was just thinking that about my nephew.  He starts on his high school team as a junior.  His picture was in the paper today in an action shot and he’s got some kind of head band type of thing keeping his hair out of his eyes.  His hair is something like Galloway’s.   

It has happened every generation to be fair. 

Edited by BobSaccamanno

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Funny I was just thinking that about my nephew.  He starts on his high school team as a junior.  His picture was in the paper today in an action shot and he’s got some kind of head band type of thing keeping his hair out of his eyes.  His hair is something like Galloway’s.   

It’s happened every generation to be fair. 

You didn't see any guys on Hickory with hair like that.  You want to see great hair just watch the basketball of the 70's

• Haha 1