Big Ten 2020-2021

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

They shot a ton of 3’s and 12 of our free throws were at the end when NW had to foul. Take away those 6 fouls of theirs at the end and it’s pretty comparable both in fouls and FT’s between both teams. Don’t think NW has much to complain about re the whistle tonight IMO. 

I watched the game. At one point midway through the 2nd half Northwestern had been called for 8 fouls, and Purdue 2. You guys had more than a few "fortuitous" calls in your favor.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I watched the game. At one point midway through the 2nd half Northwestern had been called for 8 fouls, and Purdue 2. You guys had more than a few "fortuitous" calls in your favor.

Agree to disagree. Edey drew several fouls and played more tonight than normal with Tre’s foul trouble. Don’t think it was too one-sided but obviously I’m biased. That 5 second call against us late wasn’t even close to 5 seconds. He blew his whistle as soon as he counted 4 lol. 

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Are you watching the UT and UK game.  In the first half UK was 13-15 from the line and UT was 2-3.  UT had 6 players with two fouls

Just was taught that defense and free throws are what ultimately wins games.  

It makes me sad to give Purdoo credit but look at that free throw percentage 

On the season 

IU 66.2% as a team 

Purdue  70.5% as a team. 

If IU hits 70+% of free throws 

We would 12-5 or 13 -7, hell maybe 14-4. 

Free throws are fundamental to basketball. What the hell is going on!?

Edited by mrflynn03

At least we now have a couple guys I trust to take free throws on our team. Al has been money lately, Armaan has been pretty good, and even Trayce has held his own. Last game only Race had a bad percentage.  The Rutgers game was also an above average free throw shooting day. We’re a below average free throw shooting team because Trayce and Race have struggled and Al doesn’t draw enough fouls. If our bigs can get even a little more consistent from the line it shouldn’t be much of an issue. 

2 hours ago, Hippopotamo said:

At least we now have a couple guys I trust to take free throws on our team. Al has been money lately, Armaan has been pretty good, and even Trayce has held his own. Last game only Race had a bad percentage.  The Rutgers game was also an above average free throw shooting day. We’re a below average free throw shooting team because Trayce and Race have struggled and Al doesn’t draw enough fouls. If our bigs can get even a little more consistent from the line it shouldn’t be much of an issue. 

Yes, Trayce and Race are 1 and 2 in free throw attempts and have combined to shoot 58% of total attempts. When they both shoot in the 60s, the team's overall average won't be good.

Lander is 6-6 and Galloway is 8-9, so that's some hope for the future, although Geronimo is 1-7...

10 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yes, Trayce and Race are 1 and 2 in free throw attempts and have combined to shoot 58% of total attempts. When they both shoot in the 60s, the team's overall average won't be good.

Lander is 6-6 and Galloway is 8-9, so that's some hope for the future, although Geronimo is 1-7...

Geronimo definitely looks uncomfortable at the foul line, but I think his form is good. I’m mostly just happy that at the end of the game if the other team is fouling I at least feel good about our chances at hitting the free throws if it’s certain guys at the line. I think the mindset that we’re a bad free throw shooting team is overblown. However, the guys who shoot the most free throws have been inconsistent at best, and that’s what brings our percentage down. It’s not like the whole team sucks at free throws. 

6 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Geronimo definitely looks uncomfortable at the foul line, but I think his form is good. I’m mostly just happy that at the end of the game if the other team is fouling I at least feel good about our chances at hitting the free throws if it’s certain guys at the line. I think the mindset that we’re a bad free throw shooting team is overblown. However, the guys who shoot the most free throws have been inconsistent at best, and that’s what brings our percentage down. It’s not like the whole team sucks at free throws. 

He shoots them straight but usually long. He seems like he's just a a bit too hyped up when he gets to the line and if he just calms a bit he'll start hitting. That's my impression of his FT shooting, at least.

• Like 1

Just noticed Big 10 scheduled Illinois at Nebraska for Friday instead of having another long layoff. Wish they would have done this with us when Michigan postponed. No clue how the Big 10 is planning on having IU travel to East Lansing and Ann Arbor coming down the stretch. 

Only two options I see is jamming 4 games in the final week. Not good for anyone. Or do what other conferences have done. We play Sparty at home Saturday February 20th...just keep them in town and play another game Sunday night.

Looking at their schedule they already have games on that Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday of that week. Only other option is having 3-4 games from 2/27-3/6 which would be grossly unfair. If that happens our last week would look something like this

Saturday-H-Michigan

Monday-A-Michigan

Thursday-A-Michigan St

Saturday-A-Purdue

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just noticed Big 10 scheduled Illinois at Nebraska for Friday instead of having another long layoff. Wish they would have done this with us when Michigan postponed. No clue how the Big 10 is planning on having IU travel to East Lansing and Ann Arbor coming down the stretch. 

Only two options I see is jamming 4 games in the final week. Not good for anyone. Or do what other conferences have done. We play Sparty at home Saturday February 20th...just keep them in town and play another game Sunday night.

Looking at their schedule they already have games on that Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday of that week. Only other option is having 3-4 games from 2/27-3/6 which would be grossly unfair. If that happens our last week would look something like this

Saturday-H-Michigan

Monday-A-Michigan

Thursday-A-Michigan St

Saturday-A-Purdue

I have a feeling the B1G may stop trying to make up games.  Is there any value gained by wearing Michigan out trying to make up all these games?  The conference has a team that is a legit Final 4 contender, no sense running them into the ground trying to ensure everyone plays 20.  The schedule already is unbalanced since it's not a true round-robin.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 4

Just now, 5fouls said:

I have a feeling the B1G may stop trying to make up games.  Is there any value gained by wearing Michigan out trying to make up all these games?  The conference had a team that is a legit Final 4 contender, no sense running them into the ground trying to ensure everyone plays 20.  The schedule already is unbalanced since it's not a true round-robin.  

I hope that's the plan. Not just for us as a team trying to make the tourney but for all teams who have legit chances at national titles too. Playing 4 games first week of March before conference and tourney play wouldn't be good for anyone.

Selfishly...we already had the hardest schedule when factoring single plays. To ask us to do the last week I described would be a giant middle finger to IU.