Big Ten 2020-2021

3 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

I kind of agree. A shortened shot clock means there is less time to run a good play or get into your offensive set, so teams will start jacking more 3s than they already do.

It is night and day when you watching older games.  Back then you did not see many shot clock violations or force shots at the end of the clock. Back then the clock was not shown on the screen and the shot c lock was rarely mentioned.

Just now, 13th&Jackson said:

Iowa has now lost 3 of last 4. Familiar late Jan-Feb pattern for them

Gave up 89 points so their defense.  I was totally wrong about OSU because I had them in the middle of the pack going into the season.  At least got to watch some really good offense for a change in college basketball.  Combined for 29 3's 40 assist and only 11 turnovers.  Also the refs didn't call that many fouls so there was a good flow to the game.

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Always a couple coaches that do the February fade. Time will tell where things end up in 30 days when the entire league is forced to play 4 games between 2/27 and 3/6 to accommodate Michigan and Sparty. 

Maybe we can make up some ground when everyone is running on fumes.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know I am old school but when did it stop being a travel when you slide across the floor with the ball in your hands

I complained a few weeks ago about how I'm seeing high schoolers catch a pass and hop sideways to shoot. According to some younger fans, that hop is legal in order to "gather" the ball before shooting it. 

I hate AAU and what it's done to basketball with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I complained a few weeks ago about how I'm seeing high schoolers catch a pass and hop sideways to shoot. According to some younger fans, that hop is legal in order to "gather" the ball before shooting it. 

I hate AAU and what it's done to basketball with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns. 

I think the euro step is a travel ad well as a jump stop.  You go up in the air and come down that is a travel.  I also hate how if you bobble the ball it is not considered a travel

Rutgers beat Minnesota 76-72.  Minnesota lady two possessions were horrible.  Down 1 Carr kept the ball in his hands s dribbling around and they had to call two timeouts.  He got trapped twice along the sideline and couldn't find anyone nto pass to.  There last two shots was Carr going one on one and taking fall away contested shots.

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Rutgers beat Minnesota 76-72.  Minnesota lady two possessions were horrible.  Down 1 Carr kept the ball in his hands s dribbling around and they had to call two timeouts.  He got trapped twice along the sideline and couldn't find anyone nto pass to.  There last two shots was Carr going one on one and taking fall away contested shots.

Minny is Gopher 6 on the road 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

It isn’t AAU...everything trickles down from the NBA. Problem is there are some good things that should trickle down too that seems to never happen...things like 4 periods, 6 fouls, defensive 3 seconds, advancing ball on timeout...etc. But bad comes down too, traveling, carrying the ball, one on one basketball while everyone stands around and so much more..it all trickles down over time.

• Like 3

Maybe one of the Iowa guys on here can comment what the locals are saying over there but when I watch Iowa play....Fran doesn't even suggest trying to play defense. One other thing I've noticed is he plays 3-4 guys 36 minutes plus each game it seems like.

I liked to watch Tony Perkins play in high school. Thought he was going to see the court more (he's probably thinking the same)....averages about 6 minutes a game.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

It isn’t AAU...everything trickles down from the NBA. Problem is there are some good things that should trickle down too that seems to never happen...things like 4 periods, 6 fouls, defensive 3 seconds, advancing ball on timeout...etc. But bad comes down too, traveling, carrying the ball, one on one basketball while everyone stands around and so much more..it all trickles down over time.

Never want the rule of advancing ball on a timeout.  Why should you be rewarded for just calling a timeout

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Never want the rule of advancing ball on a timeout.  Why should you be rewarded for just calling a timeout

It creates an exciting end of game scenario. It’s basically impossible to advance the ball with a pass if the clock is just a second or two left. I mean lots of rules don’t make sense but we have them to make the game more entertaining. I see nothing wrong with it and in a game that is hard enough for college kids to score why not create a scenario for more exciting end of game situations. It also would incentivize coaches to save their timeouts for such a situation at the end...instead of all these useless timeouts after makes that kill momentum of the game. I understand you don’t like it but there is a benefit.

Why should there be a benefit to a timeout? Why not....why should a kid be able to throw the ball off another when he is falling out of bounds? That isn’t a basketball play...should be a technical for throwing the ball at him. Why do we restart a throw in 5 second count or why do we restart a half court 10 second count if a team calls a timeout....why should they benefit??? There are just benefits to calling a timeout that have been accepted...why not advance the ball?

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It creates an exciting end of game scenario. It’s basically impossible to advance the ball with a pass if the clock is just a second or two left. I mean lots of rules don’t make sense but we have them to make the game more entertaining. I see nothing wrong with it and in a game that is hard enough for college kids to score why not create a scenario for more exciting end of game situations. It also would incentivize coaches to save their timeouts for such a situation at the end...instead of all these useless timeouts after makes that kill momentum of the game. I understand you don’t like it but there is a benefit.

Why should there be a benefit to a timeout? Why not....why should a kid be able to throw the ball off another when he is falling out of bounds? That isn’t a basketball play...should be a technical for throwing the ball at him. Why do we restart a throw in 5 second count or why do we restart a half court 10 second count if a team calls a timeout....why should they benefit??? There are just benefits to calling a timeout that have been accepted...why not advance the ball?

Well have seen teams actually ran great plays to score with less than 5;seconds to go and had to go full court.  You have the Laettner shot, the Valpo play and Tyus Edney for full court to score on a layup at the buzzer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well have seen teams actually ran great plays to score with less than 5;seconds to go and had to go full court.  You have the Laettner shot, the Valpo play and Tyus Edney for full court to score on a layup at the buzzer.

Sure..you have an occasional game winner every dozen years or so...that’s what makes them so memorable...because they basically never happen. That said how many moments you see in the nba almost nightly because of being able to advance it. It’s all good scott. We just disagree. No biggie. I’m sure your against the DH in the national league too...people see it differently but I have no quarrels trying to make the game a better product to watch.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Sure..you have an occasional game winner every dozen years or so...that’s what makes them so memorable...because they basically never happen. That said how many moments you see in the nba almost nightly because of being able to advance it. It’s all good scott. We just disagree. No biggie. I’m sure your against the DH in the national league too...people see it differently but I have no quarrels trying to make the game a better product to watch.

Actually I didn't mind the DH last year

• Thanks 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

Actually I didn't mind the DH last year

Wow...you are a lot more progressive than I thought! Lol just kidding. I think the point though is there are several things bad and good from the nba that could or has been brought down to the college game. I don’t think everything is always a detriment to the game. That said I think healthy disagreement makes for an interesting conversation and a better board.

29 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Wow...you are a lot more progressive than I thought! Lol just kidding. I think the point though is there are several things bad and good from the nba that could or has been brought down to the college game. I don’t think everything is always a detriment to the game. That said I think healthy disagreement makes for an interesting conversation and a better board.

I think the problem with college basketball and even high school ball is that they are trying to implement NBA kind of offense.  The NBA players are talented enough to run it but the college kids are not.  Also this is why college kept lowering to the shot clock and now it is to low and it is killing the offense.  If I wanted to watch the NBA then I would watch the NBA but now college wants to be like them.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I think the problem with college basketball and even high school ball is that they are trying to implement NBA kind of offense.  The NBA players are talented enough to run it but the college kids are not.  Also this is why college kept lowering to the shot clock and now it is to low and it is killing the offense.  If I wanted to watch the NBA then I would watch the NBA but now college wants to be like them.

Agree 100% about the offense. Most kids can’t execute it at a high level but because nba teams want to see how kids will translate to their system and draft accordingly teams run it to draw nba potential kids to their rosters. Disagree about the shot clock. I think that isn’t a problem as much as the poor execution of the talent that is playing. Raising the clock back up makes it just too long for defenses to try to defend successfully.