Big Ten 2020-2021

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

A few thoughts on the big ten after watching all year.  Is the offense just bad in the big ten or is it great defense.  Is it bad because the coaches are good and has good scouting so everyone knows what is coming.  Last night our game the offense was so bad but neither team couldn't play well enough to run away with the game.  UW last night shot 31% overall and 29% from 3 but they still win by 13.  Even Iowa a good offensive team only had 3 points in the first 6 minutes last night.  Right now in the first half Minnesota shot 2/12 from 3 but was only down 2 to PU.

I think it's the scouting and the defense. I watch a little SEC or ACC ball, and the defenses just aren't as physical. Even a good defensive team like Virginia isn't as physical as all B1G teams are.

And, we've had this discussion before, but I think it hurts the league in the tournament. You get an ACC crew on a B1G team, and it's not good.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

A few thoughts on the big ten after watching all year.  Is the offense just bad in the big ten or is it great defense.  Is it bad because the coaches are good and has good scouting so everyone knows what is coming.  Last night our game the offense was so bad but neither team couldn't play well enough to run away with the game.  UW last night shot 31% overall and 29% from 3 but they still win by 13.  Even Iowa a good offensive team only had 3 points in the first 6 minutes last night.  Right now in the first half Minnesota shot 2/12 from 3 but was only down 2 to PU.

Yikes

Screenshot_20210211-171835_Chrome.jpg

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think it's the scouting and the defense. I watch a little SEC or ACC ball, and the defenses just aren't as physical. Even a good defensive team like Virginia isn't as physical as all B1G teams are.

And, we've had this discussion before, but I think it hurts the league in the tournament. You get an ACC crew on a B1G team, and it's not good.

I thought conferences didn't have their own crews anymore?  The NCAA gives them their assignments?

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I actually think it will be a breath of fresh air for big ten teams to get into the tournament.  It is such a grind in the conference that when they play someone else it will feel like some freedom.  Teams will not know you as well and like you said are not as physical so it should help TJD inside.

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Of course we lose on a garbage banked-in 3. Wow

I don't remember anyone crying for us when Brian Butch did the same to us when Wisconsin beat us.

I think that puts Purdue at 8-6. I'll give them this they have some very good wins. They also have one of the easiest Big 10 schedules going. I feel like this is almost their 9th or 10th single digit win or loss this year.

Tonight didn't work. No more no less. With Sparty, Nebraska, Penn St coming up you'll be ok...but scheduling has played an advantage this year. Not huge...but certainly an advantage. 

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't remember anyone crying for us when Brian Butch did the same to us when Wisconsin beat us.

I think that puts Purdue at 8-6. I'll give them this they have some very good wins. They also have one of the easiest Big 10 schedules going. I feel like this is almost their 9th or 10th single digit win or loss this year.

Tonight didn't work. No more no less. With Sparty, Nebraska, Penn St coming up you'll be ok...but scheduling has played an advantage this year. Not huge...but certainly an advantage. 

Man that takes me back haha. Forgot about Brian Butch. 

This is simply the nature of the league this year. We came out on top of the MSU/OSU games but fell short against Maryland and Minny. If you lose on a banked three you move on and do better next time. 

Our overall schedule is among the easier ones but our easiest game (Nebraska at home) got postponed for COVID so hopefully we can play it. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Can't believe I'm a year with no fans that Minnesota is still so good at home. They still haven't won a road game so I don't know how much the committee will look at home and toad records

I've heard a bunch of players gripe about the sightlines and raised floor in that dump. 

I think that has something to do with it. We've certainly taken our lumps there...