Northwestern post game...

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

A few thoughts... 

NW is a good team. Ask MSU. Are their fans calling for Izzo to be fired? It. Wouldn't surprise me to beat IL. We are seeing some teams are better than expected this year and some aren't as good. 

As for our team, Al is a problem. He has looked worse than his stats. Leal and Galloway need more of his minutes. 

One reason Franklin had so many shots is that Rob and Al just aren't aggressive enough. 

Archie is getting too much blame here. He didn't miss those free throws and make the costly turnovers. College bball is a guards game and we are weak there. With Lander, Leal, Stewart I see help on the way. 

I'm encouraged seeing the direction we are going. Sure, I'd like to get there faster but I don't see another coach as the answer.

You said it best it wouldn't surprise any of us to beat Illinois.  That's the problem i am over the roller coaster ride. Either be good or bad pick one and be consistent.  The past 4 years have been full of glimpses of what might be but never happens. On any given night we can play with anyone or get beat by anyone. For my standards that is not good enough at Indiana University.  Too many of our fans are fine with it. Thsts the real problem.  The only thing that separates us from every other school in the country is 5 dusty old banners. 

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

You said it best it wouldn't surprise any of us to beat Illinois.  That's the problem i am over the roller coaster ride. Either be good or bad pick one and be consistent.  The past 4 years have been full of glimpses of what might be but never happens. On any given night we can play with anyone or get beat by anyone. For my standards that is not good enough at Indiana University.  Too many of our fans are fine with it. Thsts the real problem.  The only thing that separates us from every other school in the country is 5 dusty old banners. 

While I pray and wish for the IU of my youth, born in 74, Indiana was tops my entire youth,bout as as I graduated 93- downhill. 

Quoted you just to state that parity is real in college BB, I remember when northwestern, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota where basically games we had in our back pocket. Too many athletes, it’s all about determination.

edit, qouted after reading 1st half and not 2nd, just want whoever to know 20-10, 19-11 isn’t good enough for this school.

i hope Archie succeeds, but if not, if we don’t upgrade big time, you can about forget Being considered a top 7-10 job. Sampson has been our best coach since CBK, and that’s unfortunate. We should strive to do better

Pretty much everything that can be said, has.

The only thing I can add, is that this is a game where  Brunk was clearly missed. As much of an impact that Audige had in the second half, their big who came off the bench killed us in the first. I have to think Brunk would have impacted his ability to score around the basket and rebound. Neither TJD or Race were strong enough to contain him.

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Pretty much everything that can be said, has.

The only thing I can add, is that this is a game where  Brunk was clearly missed. As much of an impact that Audige had in the second half, their big who came off the bench killed us in the first. I have to think Brunk would have impacted his ability to score around the basket and rebound. Neither TJD or Race were strong enough to contain him.

One other just thought on everything that can be sad,  has part....I'm curious impact of crowd last night. Spot them a dozen point lead and take a 5 point lead. Curious of no fan impact.

Assembly Hall has been good for 7-10 points for better part of 4 decades....and before someone comes along and says crowds have zero impact please.....they most certainly do. 

1 hour ago, H00sier said:

Whoever kept going on about Al, I love him, but him and 10 both forgot to suit up.

love Galloway and Thompson. , that’s our future - along with others, love Galloway big time!!!

I wish All would of left with Justin Smith. I have never like him. Too many liabilities and he destroys any semblance of a motion offense. 

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

One other just thought on everything that can be sad,  has part....I'm curious impact of crowd last night. Spot them a dozen point lead and take a 5 point lead. Curious of no fan impact.

Assembly Hall has been good for 7-10 points for better part of 4 decades....and before someone comes along and says crowds have zero impact please.....they most certainly do. 

We lost four games at home last year. I really think the lack of crowd had little to do with it. 

Tough to win at this level without a point guard. That's been a big issue since Archie has gotten here and one that frankly puzzles me given his background. 

Either Phinisee needs to have look in the mirror and step it up, or Lander needs to learn by being thrown into the fire, but something has to give at that position. 

So... believe it or not, I'm not 100% sold on getting rid of CAM, but I certainly wouldn't be upset.  I go back to what these guys were ranked coming into college.  RP, Al, Race all around 150.  Al 230.  Of course we have TJD.  Lander will likely show why he was so highly touted next year where he was projected.  Hunter was ranked pretty high, but maybe it's all because of his injuries, who knows?  Anyway, you can argue Arch isn't bringing in enough talent.  Otherwise, I think most of these guys are performing like #150-230 ranked recruits.  My question goes back to who can we bring in?  Is the university going to pony up big time money?  Do they want a big time personality?  Probably no to both, right?  The only way we'll be happy is if we get someone ho will bring in the right recruits immediately.  Talent matters.  

If there's any way Arch isn't getting fired after this year, he has to try to win every game right now, so he can't really afford to just bench guys and play guys who aren't ready, BUT... if we're going to lose anyway, there's absolutely no reason Lander doesn't start playing more.  Geronimo and Leal might as well start seeing minutes and then ever so slowly more minutes.  It's not going to help Arch to cash this season in and think about next season though.  He'll be gone if he does that.  I don't really even care who he starts, but he might as well play TJD, Race, and Franklin big minutes and divvy up the rest of the minutes somewhat evenly.  I don't mean arbitrarily.  Don't run it like a church league or a rec league, but find good minutes for Leal, Lander, and Geronimo.  Certainly Galloway should get the 4th most minutes.  

I just don't see how we're doing anything but biding our time right now. There's a clear lack of awareness on either what the problem is, or how to fix it.  We've had the same issues since year 1.  We run a system that is better suited to 1980 than 2020. We can't coach kids to shoot better and we either can't recruit shooters, or we choose not to focus on recruiting shooters.

Assuming we lose TJD after this year, we'll need most of our team to have huge improvements like we haven't seen since Archie has been here. Home games next year could get ugly.

4 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I just don't see how we're doing anything but biding our time right now. There's a clear lack of awareness on either what the problem is, or how to fix it.  We've had the same issues since year 1.  We run a system that is better suited to 1980 than 2020. We can't coach kids to shoot better and we either can't recruit shooters, or we choose not to focus on recruiting shooters.

Assuming we lose TJD after this year, we'll need most of our team to have huge improvements like we haven't seen since Archie has been here. Home games next year could get ugly.

for sure.  hard to see why anyone would be excited that next year would be better.  i mean Lander, Galloway, Thompson, Franklin may be solid, but not guys who are going to carry us.  we lose TJD who is our only consistent scorer.  can always keep hoping for Hunter?  huge leap from Geronimo?  we'll be better because Al is gone?  i guess if everyone improves a lot, Brunk gives us some size, Duncomb is ready from day 1, we get a transfer, oh and Stewart?  a lot of things to hope for, but i am a Cubs fan and we always say Wait Til Next Year!

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

This is the kind of statement I don't understand...So you don't think he's trying to win right now?!?!

i definitely do.  no question.  not sure why you'd think i a saying otherwise.  my point is he can't just cash the season in and start playing anyone other than who he thinks will help get those wins.  no point in him looking to build for next year if he isn't winning now.    

4 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i definitely do.  no question.  not sure why you'd think i a saying otherwise.  my point is he can't just cash the season in and start playing anyone other than who he thinks will help get those wins.  no point in him looking to build for next year if he isn't winning now.    

He realizes that...watch his post game. I understand what you're saying, but at this point I don't think this season is the "lost cause" that some people on this forum do...

Archived