Northwestern post game...

32 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Tough to win at this level without a point guard. That's been a big issue since Archie has gotten here and one that frankly puzzles me given his background. 

Either Phinisee needs to have look in the mirror and step it up, or Lander needs to learn by being thrown into the fire, but something has to give at that position. 

I thought Lander looked good in his 2 minutes. I'm all for making freshmen earn their minutes, and obviously I don't know what goes on in practice, but given that we weren't getting much with the other guys, I don't see why Lander didn't get more time.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I didn't participate much in the game thread yesterday. I've kinda sworn them off. As frustrated as some of you get, I still don't see some of the comments. 

So I'll ask this...Is Northwestern a good team or not?

They are a borderline tournament team.  They will beat teams that are not that talented and/or unprepared, but will have trouble beating teams that are both talented and prepared.  

44 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Getting back to the 6-14 B1G record.  I guess our 6 most likely wins would be:  vs. PSU, vs. MD, @ Nebraska, vs. Purdue, vs. MN, then not even sure?  How safe do you feel betting we win all 5 of those and then one more somewhere?

I am not a Purdue fan but they also have something Miller's team doesn't. Tenacity, aggressiveness, shooters, an offense and they are mentally tough. I don't see us beating Purdue this year. Miller is being paid big bucks to win and win championships. He is barely winning and with the exception of last year hasn't made the tournament. 
They key to beating him is play a zone, double team TJD, have some sort of a motion offense and put pressure on our guards. 

My starting lineup going forward would be TJD, Geronimo, Lander, Race and Franklin. Galloway, Thompson and Phinesse would be the first subs. Al would be on the bench keeping stats and if he does go into the game the first time he dribbles the ball for any length of time his butt is back on the pine. 

Your you know what is on the bench if you don't hustle, play defense, hit free throws and move the ball. 

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I didn't participate much in the game thread yesterday. I've kinda sworn them off. As frustrated as some of you get, I still don't see some of the comments. 

I would say yes they are. One thing for sure they are better than us. I quit watching at halftime and spent some time with the wife. My old heart can't take it anymore. I have a feeling that it is going to be another very long year. 
Have a Merry Christmas, my friend. 

Just now, jefftheref said:

I would say yes they are. One thing for sure they are better than us. I quit watching at halftime and spent some time with the wife. My old heart can't take it anymore. I have a feeling that it is going to be another very long year. 

You missed a good run to start the 2nd. But, you were spared some awfulness, too.

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

NW is definitely a good team.  no question. well coached too.  the problem is if we can't beat them at AH, we better hope it was all about the match-up.  i get that that is definitely part of it.  we may be able to beat a higher ranked, more talented team because of the style of play, etc.  i'm sure we will.  it's just tough to look at the schedule right now and say, i feel very confident we'll win these 6 games!  and that's saying we go 6-14 as someone else said earlier.  or on the flipside, it's tough to look at about 11 of our games and say, yeah, i'm confident we'll win any of these.  doesn't mean i won't be watching and cheering and hoping for the best though!

8 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Hence, my earlier DVR comment....

Merry Christmas to all on HSN!!  🎄

15 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I am not a Purdue fan but they also have something Miller's team doesn't. Tenacity, aggressiveness, shooters, an offense and they are mentally tough. I don't see us beating Purdue this year. Miller is being paid big bucks to win and win championships. He is barely winning and with the exception of last year hasn't made the tournament. 
They key to beating him is play a zone, double team TJD, have some sort of a motion offense and put pressure on our guards. 

My starting lineup going forward would be TJD, Geronimo, Lander, Race and Franklin. Galloway, Thompson and Phinesse would be the first subs. Al would be on the bench keeping stats and if he does go into the game the first time he dribbles the ball for any length of time his butt is back on the pine. 

Your you know what is on the bench if you don't hustle, play defense, hit free throws and move the ball. 

i totally agree with you about hating purdue, but that they have an identity that works.  i don't understand the mindset of starting Geronimo though.  if we want to get more radical, i'd think Lander, Franklin, Galloway, Thompson, TJD.

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

A few thoughts... 

NW is a good team. Ask MSU. Are their fans calling for Izzo to be fired? It. Wouldn't surprise me to beat IL. We are seeing some teams are better than expected this year and some aren't as good. 

As for our team, Al is a problem. He has looked worse than his stats. Leal and Galloway need more of his minutes. 

One reason Franklin had so many shots is that Rob and Al just aren't aggressive enough. 

Archie is getting too much blame here. He didn't miss those free throws and make the costly turnovers. College bball is a guards game and we are weak there. With Lander, Leal, Stewart I see help on the way. 

I'm encouraged seeing the direction we are going. Sure, I'd like to get there faster but I don't see another coach as the answer.

If Miller handpicked all of the guards except Al, how is it not his fault that our guards are not ready to play.

One other thing, fire the &^%$%& strength coach.  Every year we get this parade of GQ magazine crap where the guys show off their physiques.  And every year we have people who have trouble finishing at the rim, powering through traffic, and hitting shots.  Seems to me that the strength program is an utter waste every year.  I think it Jack's up our shooting and it has not shown to help us with strength related items in the paint.  So other than maybe helping the guys with the ladies, what good is that program.

Listen, Dolson needs to talk to Miller now and find out what exactly he thinks he needs to win.  If Miller thinks the University is holding him back, I as the AD would want to know exactly how.  Then I would go out of my way to clear that problem for him so he or the next guy does not have that issue.  The compliance department screwing you over?  Done, I reassign some people.  You want to get into the gray area?  With the new rules about player likeness coming, done.  But you better start winning my man.  The main difference between you and your peers making the kind of money you make is that you have performed in the top half of the conference exactly 1 time and that was all with guys you did not recruit.

I want Miller to figure it out because I think having to start over every 5 years sucks.  However, I am also not of the mind that you should have to wait 5 or 6 years to put something on the court that is anything close to a decent program.  Tom Allen has IU football in a major bowl game and ranked in the Top 15 after 5 years.  He is an example of trending up and he works for the same school.  I just want to know why our historicall bad football program is able to overcome all the supposed hurdles of working for IU when our historicall Top 10 basketball program cannot seem to get above even winning 60% of its games in what is becoming a normal year.

All I will say is that all the people calling for the freshman to start need to then be willing to go through some growing pains. We will lose a lot more games before it gets any better. Al and Rob play generally won’t “lose” you games but they also aren’t going to win you games either. But trying to just hold down the fort isn’t good enough. Trying to be a net zero is not what other teams expect from their guards. We should and need to get better. We’ve seen them play better but man it is so inconsistent you just don’t know what you will get. Sadly this game was lost in the first half...we let Northwestern get comfortable and such a lead that they were in position to have a kid get hot at the end and beat us. That just can’t happen. Play even in the first half and we likely win by double digits in the second after the run we made. Teams like Northwestern you can’t let them stay in the game or they grow confidence and will make you pay at the end.

Bookmark these comments fellas. A lot of season left for the fire Archie crowd to find more ammo if it goes further south. Also a lot of season left for those comments to look idiotic. 

A frustrating loss for sure but the sky was falling after Texas too and NW beat MSU. I have no idea if CAM is the guy (which is disappointing in it's own right) but the overreaction to a "bad" loss on here is as Jekyll and Hyde as this team is. 

41 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I would lump them in with Providence/Butler/Stanford tier. 

4 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Bookmark these comments fellas. A lot of season left for the fire Archie crowd to find more ammo if it goes further south. Also a lot of season left for those comments to look idiotic. 

A frustrating loss for sure but the sky was falling after Texas too and NW beat MSU. I have no idea if CAM is the guy (which is disappointing in it's own right) but the overreaction to a "bad" loss on here is as Jekyll and Hyde as this team is. 

I agree..lot of season to go and let’s see how the chips fall...but one thing is for certain...everyone..everyone sees what is lacking in this program. Those things don’t go away when we win and aren’t even a bigger deal when we lose. Lack of talented/dynamic guard play especially offensively has plagued this team for the past 4 years. We get some flashes in the pan but even when we win the problem is still there....and when we lose it is glaringly there. The final standings this season is almost moot. To be a contender and not a pretender we need more talent...lots more talent.

40 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

They are probably decent but who cares?

Seriously, we should be a good team too at this point.  I literally do not given a flying you know what about the other team when we are playing.  "Welp, they were really good so us losing isn't that bad...."  Sorry, but what a loser attitude.  Maybe we can start handing out "I competed" rings to guys like Crean handed out Sweet 16 rings.  I mean, Big Championships used to be the first goal around here but now losing to Northwestern is a-okay because they are pretty good?!  "I didn't say losing was ok...it is just understandable because they are pretty good and we are...well we are not."  That is what you are saying whether you believe it or not.  And if that is the case, the guy heading up that show needs a very quick course correction or he needs to go.  And in his defense, he has a long line of people above him that need to hit the bricks too.  Luckily, one of those morons is taking themself out of the equation next year (Go get lost in the Outback Kangaroo Ken).

46 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I thought Lander looked good in his 2 minutes. I'm all for making freshmen earn their minutes, and obviously I don't know what goes on in practice, but given that we weren't getting much with the other guys, I don't see why Lander didn't get more time.

Lander looked good offensively...he got ate up on a couple of possessions defensively. One against their big and another against a guard. Have to remember he is 17 playing against guys that are 22

Archived