Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

19 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Do you have first hand knowledge that this is the case?

I have to ask because just a couple of posts above yours, Thad Matta is quoted as saying he has a lit of respect for Coach Woodson.

We all watch the games, so we have some perspective to form an opinion on his coaching style and results.  However, I certainly have no inside knowledge on whether Woodson or the assistants 'sit on their asphalt' or not.

I do recall, at least early on in his tenure, there were several posts that indicated Woodson was at the athletic facilities much more frequently than Archie.  That at least implies a good work ethic.

I want a new coach soon but everything I’ve read is that Woodson is very engaged with recruiting so this flies in the face of that. Not a fan from the beginning BUT I want to be level headed and fair also

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

I want a new coach soon but everything I’ve read is that Woodson is very engaged with recruiting so this flies in the face of that. Not a fan from the beginning BUT I want to be level headed and fair also

I think we go one more year with some assumptions.   Let Woody get 3 veteran guards in the portal who can shoot and defend, and let’s change our approach on the court.  Let’s get the three ball going and get perimeter defense (both on the shot and the drive) drastically improved.   Giving up 91 points in a Big Ten game is absurd.   Maybe 1-2 assistants get swapped out.   No more ejections.  Get the 2025 class lined up.  Then hopefully we are back on track.  

If there’s not a drastic change with style of play and success, then next year all bets will be off.  

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think we go one more year with some assumptions.   Let Woody get 3 veteran guards in the portal who can shoot and defend, and let’s change our approach on the court.  Let’s get the three ball going and get perimeter defense (both on the shot and the drive) drastically improved.   Giving up 91 points in a Big Ten game is absurd.   Maybe 1-2 assistants get swapped out.   No more ejections.  Get the 2025 class lined up.  Then hopefully we are back on track.  

If there’s not a drastic change with style of play and success, then next year all bets will be off.  

This is where I am at.  Things gotta change and look different.  The spirit and fight of the team has to be different.   The defense being top 25 needs to be a given.  Rebounding needs to be a given.  And find some guys who can score.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Thinking the same. Definitely keep Walsh. But i read and article the other day about Painter pioneering an offensive coordinator role in college basketball. 

But i wonder what is the point of assistants if Woody is too proud to take suggestions/input? just recruit? If that is their only job, than they should be doing better?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think this is where I am too. But I would say there are still some simple things he could adjust still this year that would show me he’s willing to adapt.

Probably the easiest thing would be to stop taking inefficient long 2’s. It’s a terrible shot and it seems it’s built into Woody’s offense to focus on that. You even saw it last year, Kopp would consistently pass up open 3’s with a pump face, two dribbles and a long 2. Last I looked we've taken 83 long 2’s (shots from 17' to the 3-point line). That's in the 98th percentile nationally. We're shooting 26% on those shots, which is among the worst in the country. So we’re taking the most of the worst shot and making it less than most teams. Doesn’t make sense. I’d rather we shoot the 3, at least we’re hitting that at a 34% clip, so statically a better chance to go in AND an extra point. Seems that’s an “easy” adjustment that could help and I’d like to see little adjustments like that still this year. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m down on CMW. This year has been unacceptable in my book, but I think he’s earned one more year 😬 and I hope he turns the ship around. But I don’t think it happens without schematic changes and better recruiting quickly. I’m wondering if he’s just too stubborn to change anything though, which in that case I expect most of us to rightfully be ready to make a change. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, IUskim said:

That article also left out that Watford and Elston disagreed with evans that the program has hit its ceiling with Woody, but they didn’t want to question evans because of the player he was. 

I think it has hit the ceiling with this iteration of Woodson's plan.  He needs to change things up, if he can do that then there is potentially room for more.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Fair, but to play devil's advocate going another year may make us lose out on potential coaches.  The Louisville job is open and there is potential for Ohio St., Michigan, and maybe even Oregon to be open as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’m down on CMW. This year has been unacceptable in my book, but I think he’s earned one more year 😬 and I hope he turns the ship around. But I don’t think it happens without schematic changes and better recruiting quickly. I’m wondering if he’s just too stubborn to change anything though, which in that case I expect most of us to rightfully be ready to make a change. 

I agree with this. I’ll say though, Dolson needs to be sold on those changes that are coming.

If Woody can’t tell Dolson what is changing, then we shouldn’t expect better results and Woody needs to be fired this year.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

There will always be exceptions, but I think we'll see over time that the portal will work best for programs that need to fill a single hole in their starting lineup, with possibly another portal addition to come off the bench.

In other words, use the portal to add to an already solid core, not to build the team from scratch.  

I'm worried that our backcourt issues are too significant to fully fix in the portal.  Combine that with slow recruiting and I've got concerns.  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

It’s time to stop pretending we don’t know what’s wrong with IU basketball. We all know the problem it’s always been the problem for 23 years. It’s obvious and we can all see it. No one will say it. 

THEN SAY IT AND STOP BEING COY 🤷‍♂️

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

There will always be exceptions, but I think we'll see over time that the portal will work best for programs that need to fill a single hole in their starting lineup, with possibly another portal addition to come off the bench.

In other words, use the portal to add to an already solid core, not to build the team from scratch.  

I'm worried that our backcourt issues are too significant to fully fix in the portal.  Combine that with slow recruiting and I've got concerns.  

I agree with the general approach. The portal should feel like picking up a targeted free agent rather than an accumulation of picks with potential.

I'll stop short of saying that things are too difficult to be fixed next year, because sometimes all it takes is one player/catalyst to change the dynamics and productivity, but it will certainly be a challenge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jojo123 said:

It’s time to stop pretending we don’t know what’s wrong with IU basketball. We all know the problem it’s always been the problem for 23 years. It’s obvious and we can all see it. No one will say it. 

If by all you mean you then sure. I don't think everyone else does though. 

1 hour ago, MoyeCowbell said:

THEN SAY IT AND STOP BEING COY 🤷‍♂️

IU Scott's email account?

• Like 1

ok.... WE NEED MORE COWBELL!! I said it.

• Like 1