Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

20 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I have a question about the NIL and the "Extra" money i heard was added this year.

Is this extra money only for this year?  Do these players we're buying get this extra money for the whole time they are at IU or just this year?  Is a NIL deal for the whole time they play for a school or can they negotiate each year?

I really don't have much of an idea what rules are around the NIL

That's the $64 dollar question...

This explains the guidelines...

But I think anyone who believes these kids are visiting and signing without numbers being negotiated are only fooling themselves...And I'd think year to year would be all they're good for with the way the portal is bustling...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That's the $64 dollar question...

This explains the guidelines...

But I think anyone who believes these kids are visiting and signing without numbers being negotiated are only fooling themselves...And I'd think year to year would be all they're good for with the way the portal is bustling...

So each year they have a chance to negotiate for another NIL deal?  That has to be exhausting for everyone involved.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

So each year they have a chance to negotiate for another NIL deal?  That has to be exhausting for everyone involved.  

I think that's about the only way it can be played at this point...

The kids all have representation (and the really smart ones get a pro, and not some family member/friend who thinks they know how to talk money), and I'm sure the schools/collectives have certain people representing their interest as well...

At this point, it's kinda the Wild West...But we seem to have gotten ahead of the game, and are already pretty good at it...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I have a question about the NIL and the "Extra" money i heard was added this year.

Is this extra money only for this year?  Do these players we're buying get this extra money for the whole time they are at IU or just this year?  Is a NIL deal for the whole time they play for a school or can they negotiate each year?

I really don't have much of an idea what rules are around the NIL

My guess is that the total fund is probably like a line of credit.  Financial source X has said "I'll fund up to $x over y years".  Our staff then allocates accordingly. 

As for the deals....could be either or.  There's nothing that says you can't write a multi-year NIL deal.  If the financiers/programs were smart, they'd structure NIL deals to incentivize kids to stay.  "Ok, you'll get X in 24 installments over the first year.  If you don't transfer, you get X2 as of next year, plus Y "retention bonus" at the beginning of next season."

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

My guess is that the total fund is probably like a line of credit.  Financial source X has said "I'll fund up to $x over y years".  Our staff then allocates accordingly. 

As for the deals....could be either or.  There's nothing that says you can't write a multi-year NIL deal.  If the financiers/programs were smart, they'd structure NIL deals to incentivize kids to stay.  "Ok, you'll get X in 24 installments over the first year.  If you don't transfer, you get X2 as of next year, plus Y "retention bonus" at the beginning of next season."

Yeah, that supposedly can't happen (conditioned on a particular school) except that it does and the NCAA is powerless to prevent it. NIL loopholes are so large and abundant,  the NCAA might as well not try to enforce anything. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2024 at 1:53 PM, Purdue7 said:

CMW this time last year was leaving a scholarship open….which if filled might have meant multiple wins IMHO 

He was still hockey subbing entire lines and angrily defending it to the press until  it magically went away 

If he strikes out on Sisley & Mullins…. next year will be the first IU team ever without an Indiana kid ?

Goode will get another season so no.

On 4/20/2024 at 8:41 PM, bluegrassIU said:

We merged the Mike Woodson thread. 

So this is where our complaints go next season? I just want to make sure I post them in the correct thread and don’t get labeled some troll or a Debbie downer. Most forums have a complaints thread so I find it very strange we suddenly deleted it when this coach has done nothing on the court to show he has earned our full unbridled support.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So this is where our complaints go next season? I just want to make sure I post them in the correct thread and don’t get labeled some troll or a Debbie downer. Most forums have a complaints thread so I find it very strange we suddenly deleted it when this coach has done nothing on the court to show he has earned our full unbridled support.

You didn’t get the memo:

Scott Dolson, Indiana’s vice president and director of intercollegiate athletics, offered this when pressed about Woody’s style of play.

“I think that’s what he’s been trying to do in the portal,” Dolson said. “Making certain that we can have a roster that supports the offense he wants to run.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

We didn't just delete a complaint thread. And it gets frustrating that every time we do anything the tin foul hats come out.

We have no agenda as mods. Hell, we are as divided in our views as the general members are. So it would be pretty damn hard to be agenda driven.

We simplay had too many Woodson threads at the time. And new, non Woodson, threads were being hijacked.

We basically just tried to funnel the conversation more and keep the site streamlined. It's really that simple.

So, no, us over controlling moderators have not designated a specific location for Mike Woodson complaints for next freaking season.

But thanks for asking.  

And to be clear. The thread was not deleted. Threads were merged. Not posts were removed from the site.

Find it as weird as you want. Is what it is. And we are transparent in what we do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

We didn't just delete a complaint thread. And it gets frustrating that every time we do anything the tin foul hats come out.

We have no agenda as mods. Hell, we are as divided in our views as the general members are. So it would be pretty damn hard to be agenda driven.

We simplay had too many Woodson threads at the time. And new, non Woodson, threads were being hijacked.

We basically just tried to funnel the conversation more and keep the site streamlined. It's really that simple.

So, no, us over controlling moderators have not designated a specific location for Mike Woodson complaints for next freaking season.

But thanks for asking.  

And to be clear. The thread was not deleted. Threads were merged. Not posts were removed from the site.

Find it as weird as you want. Is what it is. And we are transparent in what we do.

That’s quite a lengthy answer….all I needed was a yes or no. Can I post my complaints here. Since all things Woody should seem to fall under this thread…I’ll take that as a yes then. Thanks again for all you guys do! Still the best  sports forum on all the interwebs. 🫡

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

You didn’t get the memo:

Scott Dolson, Indiana’s vice president and director of intercollegiate athletics, offered this when pressed about Woody’s style of play.

“I think that’s what he’s been trying to do in the portal,” Dolson said. “Making certain that we can have a roster that supports the offense he wants to run.”

No offense to Scott but his 3 years here he has had the ability to build a roster and to play “his” offense. We’ve watched him for 3 years run his offense. So forgive me for being hesitant to take Scott at his word.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No offense to Scott but his 3 years here he has had the ability to build a roster and to play “his” offense. We’ve watched him for 3 years run his offense. So forgive me for being hesitant to take Scott at his word.

Take a look at those 3 rosters and let me know what you would have done differently. 
you have to play the cards in your hand. Although, he does deserves some criticism of how the hand was built. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, ledies22 said:

Take a look at those 3 rosters and let me know what you would have done differently. 
you have to play the cards in your hand. Although, he does deserves some criticism of how the hand was built. 

Indeed…he built those…and he is responsible for his substitution patterns. I almost wonder if he cried to his boosters if he only had better players “his” system would work…so they bought him the best team money can buy.  I really hope he realizes this is his prove it moment…if he can’t take this team and win a conference title and make a deep run in March…there will be no protecting him.  I’m not supper confident but if we round out this team with the couple players we seem to be rumored to get…I don’t think that will be a problem.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Indeed…he built those…and he is responsible for his substitution patterns. I almost wonder if he cried to his boosters if he only had better players “his” system would work…so they bought him the best team money can buy.  I really hope he realizes this is his prove it moment…if he can’t take this team and win a conference title and make a deep run in March…there will be no protecting him.  I’m not supper confident but if we round out this team with the couple players we seem to be rumored to get…I don’t think that will be a problem.

If we finish in the top three in the BIG and make it to the second weekend in the tournament then he will more than likely get an extension.

2 hours ago, Tru123dt said:

If we finish in the top three in the BIG and make it to the second weekend in the tournament then he will more than likely get an extension.

I'd like to see at least 2 years of the above before an extension is made. But that's just me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tru123dt said:

44 minutes ago, DWB said:

I'd like to see at least 2 years of the above before an extension is made. But that's just me.

I think they’ll be quick to offer an extension as soon as they can. They were quick to offer a pay increase to make CMW the 13th highest paid coach in CBB and 3rd in the B1G. 

Some names behind him: Few, Painter, Hubert Davis, Cronin, Tommy Lloyd, Larranage, Bennett, Beard, Otzelberger, Dutcher, McDermott, Leonard Hamilton. 

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach

Edited by 13th&Jackson

An article last year had 50 coaches over 60 years old, with 20 of them 65+, and 6 were 70+.

Woody controls his destiny right now. Just has to win at a level worthy of his salary and the team purchased for him. I can't imagine he survives a repeat of last season.

Edited by Euroclydon

6 hours ago, Tru123dt said:

Yeah sure…let’s just give him the Calipari special. Lifelong contract…your probably right though..we will have to see.

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

I almost wonder if he cried to his boosters if he only had better players “his” system would work…so they bought him the best team money can buy. 

You don’t seem to get it 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

• Like 3

On 5/4/2024 at 9:06 PM, bluegrassIU said:

Ha Ha! You used 5Fouls in a disparaging way! 

59 minutes ago, Tom White said:

Oh, I think he gets it.....but sometimes the problem with a one-trick pony is the trick is just not a very good one.

You’re new here. You may want to check dgambill’s profile before posting something like this

• Like 3