'23-'24 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

3 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

I got crushed for saying CMW was a good hire and had things headed in the right direction 

half the Purdue board is morons 

So you're saying we're better because we only have a few.... well, never mind. We are better because only a few people get upset about saying something nice (and true) about the other rival? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

OK, since you don’t want to talk about Purdue, let’s discuss the other 350 teams! That’s important. What do you think of Wagner’s win over NJIT? Think they have a shot to take the Northeast conference title this year? Sacred Heart is the only other team that looks like it will contend. Central Connecticut looks terrible this year and Merrimack just got blown out by Bradley the other day 83-41. Long Island has Marko Maletic, a 6-6 sophomore who’s averaging 15.8 on 39.5% 3pt shooting (through five games, which isn’t a big sample size). Stone hill just lost to UMASS Lowell 73-59; a team that looks like the favorite to win the America East Conference (although Bryant looks good as well).

PFW won yesterday over Bluffton College, making their coach John Coffman, the winningest coach in program history. Vermont is off to a horrible start at 2-7. They usually represent their conference in the tournament. Oklahoma just handed Ole Miss their first loss, and are playing good ball. Nova looks horrible and looks like their is going to be a period of underperformance as they transition to a new coach. Speaking of the Big East, Seton Hall just got beat by powerhouse Siena, and UConn just blasted Iowa State, who gave our next opponent, UNC their first loss. Keeping it in the East, Quinnipiac is undefeated at 7-0. Finally, the state of Alabama is well represented with Auburn being undefeated, and Alabama also beating UNC.

There...plenty to discuss. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I like the thought of beating the best to BE the best — it leaves no doubt once you get to the top of the mountain.

I want PU to be at its absolute best (and sure, highly ranked) when we play them. Much more satisfying if we win. (It stinks that UNC is slumping right now, as it would be much more enjoyable and impactful to beat a top team.)

Talking about Purdue is relevant, contextual and fun. Like @5fouls said, who are we supposed to talk about, if not the Boilermakers? Miss. St? The Vermont Catamounts? Purdue’s ability to play well right now has no bearing on IU, other than rankings, which literally have zero actual worth at this point of the season. Discussing them doesn’t take away from our accomplishments or change our trajectory. It adds intrigue and interest, making for a much more fun matchup when we finally play each other.

For, the record, Vermont has been a pretty good program over the last 15-20 years.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

OK, since you don’t want to talk about Purdue, let’s discuss the other 350 teams! That’s important. What do you think of Wagner’s win over NJIT? Think they have a shot to take the Northeast conference title this year? Sacred Heart is the only other team that looks like it will contend. Central Connecticut looks terrible this year and Merrimack just got blown out by Bradley the other day 83-41. Long Island has Marko Maletic, a 6-6 sophomore who’s averaging 15.8 on 39.5% 3pt shooting (through five games, which isn’t a big sample size). Stone hill just lost to UMASS Lowell 73-59; a team that looks like the favorite to win the America East Conference (although Bryant looks good as well).

Can you do one of these daily, touching on a new conference each day?  It might help me with my bracket come march.  

Just dont mention any team that played Purdue that week.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Just now, 5fouls said:

As far as our biggest rival is concerned, for me it was always UK.  And it wasn't close.  

But the fact of the matter is we have not played them in years.  Hard to call someone a rival that you dont play.

We will be soon...So does that realign the rivalry stars?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

PFW won yesterday over Bluffton College, making their coach John Coffman, the winningest coach in program history. Vermont is off to a horrible start at 2-7. They usually represent their conference in the tournament. Oklahoma just handed Ole Miss their first loss, and are playing good ball. Nova looks horrible and looks like their is going to be a period of underperformance as they transition to a new coach. Speaking of the Big East, Seton Hall just got beat by powerhouse Siena, and UConn just blasted Iowa State, who gave our next opponent, UNC their first loss. Keeping it in the East, Quinnipiac is undefeated at 7-0. Finally, the state of Alabama is well represented with Auburn being undefeated, and Alabama also beating UNC.

There...plenty to discuss. 

UC Irvine is currently leading the Big West Conference and have a big win at then-#21 Oregon. I'm not quite sold on Hawaii yet (their best win is over a mediocre Texas State), but UC Santa Barbara is interesting with Ajay Mitchell. They have an upcoming game at Pepperdine, which I might be able to see live, so I'll have a better report on how they play in person. UC Riverside has strung a few wins together, but not over anyone of significance. Cal State Fullerton and Long Beach State aren't worth the drive this season, although I've heard LBS can have a fun environment on occasion. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

As far as our biggest rival is concerned, for me it was always UK.  And it wasn't close.  

But the fact of the matter is we have not played them in years.  Hard to call someone a rival that you dont play.

Hey, at least we can kick their arszzes in HS basketball.

• Like 2

What Purdue has is an established culture and system. Painter knows exactly what pieces he wants to recruit to fit the system and culture (He didn't always). Their offense is pretty sophisticated as far as modern college basketball goes, They execute it well, and they play hard.

Last year they were held captive by Ivey in a way that ultimately did not benefit the team, and Trevion Williams was a similar issue for them. Both are very good players of course, but neither a great defender, and both prone to up and down efforts. At IU last year, Williams played very poorly and was in many ways the reason that IU won.

Their wins this week were:
a) Impressive
b) look more impressive than they actually are because neither Duke or Gonzaga is as good as they normally are, and certainly not as good as they will be later in the year...

That said, the tournament issues are a significant theme at this point, and a team that can stretch the floor both in the half court and full court, and has length at the guard will be hard for them going forward.

My sense is that they should really should be embarrassed about the "IU Sucks chant",  it is both lame and childish, but their fan base is one big commercial for Purdue and they all sound like the were best friends with their RA in college.

But, it kind of works for them, because it has them pulling in the same direction...even if sometimes it requires a kind of head in the sand...

IU on the other hand absorbed the culture of critique over the last thirty years and is often ready to turn on its own rather quickly...

I don't like when Purdue wins, and it is super annoying the way that Painter licks his lips like Jaba the Hut constantly...but they play the style of basketball that I prefer and if I hadn't been raised IU, I could probably even enjoy watching them play

Edited by mchenry34
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, mchenry34 said:

What Purdue has is an established culture and system. Painter knows exactly what pieces he wants to recruit to fit the system and culture (He didn't always). Their offense is pretty sophisticated as far as modern college basketball goes, They execute it well, and they play hard.

Last year they were held captive by Ivey in a way that ultimately did not benefit the team, and Trevion Williams was a similar issue for them. Both are very good players of course, but neither a great defender, and both prone to up and down efforts. At IU last year, Williams played very poorly and was in many ways the reason that IU won.

Their wins this week were:
a) Impressive
b) look more impressive than they actually are because neither Duke or Gonzaga is as good as they normally are, and certainly not as good as they will be later in the year...

That said, the tournaments issues are a significant theme at this point, and a team that can stretch the floor both in the half court and full court, and has length at the guard will be hard for them going forward.

Also, they really should be embarrassed about the "IU Sucks chant" it is both lame and childish, but their fan base is one big commercial for Purdue and they all sound like the were best friends with their RA in college.

That said, it kind of works for them, because it has them pulling in the same direction...even if sometimes it requires a kind of head in the sand...

IU on the other hand absorbed the culture of critique over the last thirty years and is often ready to turn on its own rather quickly...

I don't like when Purdue wins, and it is super annoying the way that Painter licks his lips like Jaba the Hut constantly...but they play the style of basketball that I prefer and if I hadn't been raised IU, I could probably even enjoy watching them play

I wish you would post more. Enjoy your reading your stuff man, I couldn't agree with this more. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Can someone create an ACC / Big Ten challenge pick'em thread?  I would, but am at work and wont have time to do all the research on who plays who on what night before the games start tonight.

That task is above my pay grade, but it looks like the challenge is coming to an end -- as a result of the Big Ten media rights deal and exclusion of ESPN (which has interest in the ACC).

It looks like the ACC-SEC challenge will be next.

Who should the Big Ten play?

• Like 1