'23-'24 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

No, that's calling a win in November and the accompanying accolades a bit premature...

What people are saying is At This Time they are playing at that level. No one is saying at the end of the year they will be playing at that level. If they keep playing like this then they for sure is a final four level team.

• Like 3

Just now, IUFLA said:

If...

This is getting ridiculous, you are now just arguing to be arguing. You can say if about every team in the country because what you do now doesn't mean the future is the same.

All I know if Purdue lost all 3 games this weekend you and the others wouldn't have a problem with people talking about that. You look at teams like UCLA and UNC who at this time looked bad and probably had no hope but still made the final four.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This is getting ridiculous, you are now just arguing to be arguing. You can say if about every team in the country because what you do now doesn't mean the future is the same.

All I know if Purdue lost all 3 games this weekend you and the others wouldn't have a problem with people talking about that. You look at teams like UCLA and UNC who at this time looked bad and probably had no hope but still made the final four.

I have a problem every time there is conversation about Purdue ...especially when it permeates an IU thread.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Does that not insinuate they're a better team than we are? 

Look, as I said, Purdue has a good team. Better than I thought they would be...But that in no way shakes my confidence in Coach Woodson and OUR team.

And I love the rationalization about Purdue "adding by subtracting" by losing the #5 pick in the NBA draft, a 3rd team All Big 10 center, and an honorable mention All Big 10 selection, and replacing them with a freshman backcourt...

As I said, they're good...Good for them. Bring your best when you come to Bloomington...

Yes, they have looked like the most impressive Big Ten team so far. They have. 

That doesn't mean they are better than IU or will be better. If IU impresses in our upcoming two week stretch here then all of that changes. 

The ball is in IU's court with games against UNC, @ Rutgers, @ Kansas and Arizona. 

You're so upset about people saying good things about Purdue, how about quoting me when I said I think we match up very well against Purdue?

Quote me when I said that I think our size, length and athleticism in the backcourt will cause Smith and Loyer problems. 

Quote me when I said that I like our chances with using our guards and bigs in the PnR to disrupt Edey and force him to play defense. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If they're better than IU, why wouldn't you? 

Who has said they're better than IU, though? I've not seen a post saying they're better, have a higher ceiling, or anything along those lines. They do have a better resume right now though, and look very good. 

Aside from the basketball side of things, I just like our team as individuals a lot and enjoy rooting for them. So even if the above wasn't true, no, I wouldn't trade rosters with them. Keep arguing with straw men though....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I have a problem every time there is conversation about Purdue ...especially when it permeates an IU thread.

Why do you have a problem with it. Are you just insecure about other teams success. This thread is about college basketball which means every team in college basketball and not just IU.

To me it sounds like it is a you problem and not the rest of us.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Never said I wanted to be like those fan bases....at least the ignorant part. Respecting an opponent, and going on and on about them are two different things. The incessant fawning over PUke is nauseating.  

You may not have said it but you sure as heck insinuated it. Why else would you compare their behavior to ours, when you've been complaining about our behavior, if you don't want it to look like theirs? 

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why do you have a problem with it. Are you just insecure about other teams success. This thread is about college basketball which means every team in college basketball and not just IU.

To me it sounds like it is a you problem and not the rest of us.

Where does this "insecure" and "threatened" bs come from? As I said earlier, this thread is permeated by PUke discussion, when there are 350 other teams out there. And, my comment is not specifically limited to this thread. The IUBB 22-23 devolved into a discussion on their team within the last day or so. 

Are you threatened by someone calling you out because you focus on PUke? That someone has a different opinion than you, and isn't afraid to voice it? Does that bother you? 

• Like 1

I like the thought of beating the best to BE the best — it leaves no doubt once you get to the top of the mountain.

I want PU to be at its absolute best (and sure, highly ranked) when we play them. Much more satisfying if we win. (It stinks that UNC is slumping right now, as it would be much more enjoyable and impactful to beat a top team.)

Talking about Purdue is relevant, contextual and fun. Like @5fouls said, who are we supposed to talk about, if not the Boilermakers? Miss. St? The Vermont Catamounts? Purdue’s ability to play well right now has no bearing on IU, other than rankings, which literally have zero actual worth at this point of the season. Discussing them doesn’t take away from our accomplishments or change our trajectory. It adds intrigue and interest, making for a much more fun matchup when we finally play each other.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You may not have said it but you sure as heck insinuated it. Why else would you compare their behavior to ours, when you've been complaining about our behavior, if you don't want it to look like theirs? 

Not comparing their behavior. Saying that I cannot imagine that they would stoop to praising their most hated rival on their own board. I guess you could say I am comparing their lack of behavior. 

IU's Biggest Rival...Hmmm

The team that has 8 Men's basketball National Championships 

or

The team that has 4 NCAA championships in ANY sport and hasn't been to a Final 4 since Jimmy Carter was President

Tough one there...you break out the "in state" argument...Notre Dame is in state...Butler (and they've been to as many FFs as Purdue, and even more recently) is in state...

Conference...Well, I want to beat the other 12 conference teams just as much as I do Purdue, so...

Say what you want about the "dark side" of UK basketball, but they do have hardware in their trophy case...That "dark side" always added to the rivalry, especially when Coach Knight took over...

Purdue is simply little brother...always has been, always will be...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Who has said they're better than IU, though? I've not seen a post saying they're better, have a higher ceiling, or anything along those lines. They do have a better resume right now though, and look very good. 

Aside from the basketball side of things, I just like our team as individuals a lot and enjoy rooting for them. So even if the above wasn't true, no, I wouldn't trade rosters with them. Keep arguing with straw men though....

The resumes right now are all built on perception.  I think there are a few teams out there that were ranked on their name and past and not necessarily their present.   

If Indiana handles their business, they'll be fine.  We have dealt with Edey before.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not comparing their behavior. Saying that I cannot imagine that they would stoop to praising their most hated rival on their own board. I guess you could say I am comparing their lack of behavior. 

I guess we agree to disagree, I can't imagine a fan of some major rivalry not saying their rival is good when they're good unless they're of the Harvey Updike variety. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

The resumes right now are all built on perception.  I think there are a few teams out there that were ranked on their name and past and not necessarily their present.   

If Indiana handles their business, they'll be fine.  We have dealt with Edey before.

Sure, time will tell on that. I even said we don't know how good this past week for Purdue will really look in February.

But we can only judge it based on what we know now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Where does this "insecure" and "threatened" bs come from? As I said earlier, this thread is permeated by PUke discussion, when there are 350 other teams out there. And, my comment is not specifically limited to this thread. The IUBB 22-23 devolved into a discussion on their team within the last day or so. 

Are you threatened by someone calling you out because you focus on PUke? That someone has a different opinion than you, and isn't afraid to voice it? Does that bother you? 

OK, since you don’t want to talk about Purdue, let’s discuss the other 350 teams! That’s important. What do you think of Wagner’s win over NJIT? Think they have a shot to take the Northeast conference title this year? Sacred Heart is the only other team that looks like it will contend. Central Connecticut looks terrible this year and Merrimack just got blown out by Bradley the other day 83-41. Long Island has Marko Maletic, a 6-6 sophomore who’s averaging 15.8 on 39.5% 3pt shooting (through five games, which isn’t a big sample size). Stone hill just lost to UMASS Lowell 73-59; a team that looks like the favorite to win the America East Conference (although Bryant looks good as well).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yes, they have looked like the most impressive Big Ten team so far. They have. 

That doesn't mean they are better than IU or will be better. If IU impresses in our upcoming two week stretch here then all of that changes. 

The ball is in IU's court with games against UNC, @ Rutgers, @ Kansas and Arizona. 

You're so upset about people saying good things about Purdue, how about quoting me when I said I think we match up very well against Purdue?

Quote me when I said that I think our size, length and athleticism in the backcourt will cause Smith and Loyer problems. 

Quote me when I said that I like our chances with using our guards and bigs in the PnR to disrupt Edey and force him to play defense. 

I can't wait for the PU-IU Game Thread

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I got crushed for saying CMW was a good hire and had things headed in the right direction 

half the Purdue board is morons 

• Haha 1