'23-'24 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

9 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

This PU back and forth is getting ridiculous….. I’m pretty sure those Indiana players, who decided against IU saw more promise in Painter than CAM….. You do the math. Woodson will get the players who want to be apart of the rich history of IU.

A lot of those guys we didn't really go after, at least not particularly hard. 

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:
11 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

This PU back and forth is getting ridiculous….. I’m pretty sure those Indiana players, who decided against IU saw more promise in Painter than CAM….. You do the math. Woodson will get the players who want to be apart of the rich history of IU.

A lot of those guys we didn't really go after, at least not particularly hard.

No guarantee on every detail, but way back, someone posted something like this:

In Archie's 4 years, every IU recruiting class was ranked above Purdue.

In all 4 years, every Purdue freshman class overwhelmingly outplayed Indiana's freshman class.  Points, victories, Freshman of the Week honors, head-to-head match ups, any measure you choose. 

Edited by Madison22
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Others did and you scolded posters for being "insecure and threatend."

I actually agree with Scott for once. Haha. 

When PU chants ‘IU Sucks’ at games they aren’t even playing IU in, do we get angry or do we laugh at what comes off as insecure behavior? 

I laugh at it.

Don’t we laugh at PU fans who get butt hurt about our success? Those posts are pasted here all the time. Didn’t we laugh at the IL board when they had a pact to not even say Eric Gordon’s name like he’s Voldemort? 

IMO, not being able to talk about/observe PU’s success because they are a rival is similar to the above points and comes off as insecure. But that’s just me. The whole argument it sparked on here is just silly. 

Congrats Purdue fans. I’m now looking forward to playing them even more now. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

You guys just don’t get it. Who gives a rat’s ass if they are or were good? This is an IU forum. They are our biggest rival. Do you think the Michigan board has a bunch of conversation about how great OSU is? Do Alabama fans fawn over Auburn? 

Wtf

I'd love to chime in on the Auburn/Alabama piece, seeing as my dad's side of the family is from there and is split relatively down the middle between the two. I grew up and Auburn fan prior to attending IU and have been to many games at Jordan-Haire (and elsewhere, such as the National Title game) to see Auburn play. 

I absolutely do not want to be anything like the fans of either of those teams that can't show some respect to each other, and there are many on both sides that can do that. The ones that can't.... are some of the most ignorant, trashy people you'll ever come across. I would so much rather be someone who can respect and appreciate my rival (rivalry is not about hatred, I'd argue no good rivalry exists without respect though) than someone like Harvey Updike. But you go ahead and do whatever works best for you, I just know how I choose to operate and view the world. 

We can either have a race to the bottom with Purdue, or a race to the top. I personally would prefer a race to the top. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Purdue is our biggest rival

I suppose you could say so now, since Kentucky and Cal wimped out...Back in the day, it was definitely UK...

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It's only natural to talk about our biggest rival, especially in a non-IU centric thread.

Talk about? Sure...Throw down rose petals for them? Don't think so...They beat a sub-standard Duke team that shot 38% from the floor, and a whopping 11% from 3 point range...and scored 1 whole point in the last 9 minutes...Purdue's defense was good, but Duke got plenty of open looks. When I saw Big 10 rejects like Ryan Young and Curtis Grandison on the floor for Duke, I knew they were in trouble. 

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Purdue is playing well.  To deny that or get upset because someone says that does not change that fact.

I said they played well...But Final 4 worthy? Not even close...Long season and beating a team who I think is on the downslide from Coach K (I don't think Scheyer will last 5 years) wouldn't have me consulting the Banner Company. And to say they are better than us? OK, they'll get their chance to prove it...But would you trade Trayce for Edey? Race for Gillis? Our backcourt for theirs? 

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Someone educate me on why a poster saying 'Purdue is playing at a Final Four level right now' is violating the spirit of a general college basketball thread

It's not...Just not grounded in reality at this point...I'm simply challenging the statement...

16 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

not being able to talk about/observe PU’s success because they are a rival is similar to the above points and comes off as insecure.

I certainly didn't say we couldn't talk about it, but some of the overboard comments on them make me think the people that make them are the insecure ones...Like we should be shivering in our boots when the Mighty Boilermakers come to Bloomington...Saying they are better than we are is just not justified at this point...Are they good? Yes. Would I trade rosters with them? No way...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I suppose you could say so now, since Kentucky and Cal wimped out...Back in the day, it was definitely UK...

This isn't back in the day, so what's your point?

Talk about? Sure...Throw down rose petals for them? Don't think so...They beat a sub-standard Duke team that shot 38% from the floor, and a whopping 11% from 3 point range...and scored 1 whole point in the last 9 minutes...Purdue's defense was good, but Duke got plenty of open looks. When I saw Big 10 rejects like Ryan Young and Curtis Grandison on the floor for Duke, I knew they were in trouble. 

They beat two teams in the top 20 on KenPom by a combined 37 points. That's impressive, period. Will this week look as impressive 3 months from now? Who knows, but right now it's impressive...

I said they played well...But Final 4 worthy? Not even close...Long season and beating a team who I think is on the downslide from Coach K (I don't think Scheyer will last 5 years) wouldn't have me consulting the Banner Company. And to say they are better than us? OK, they'll get their chance to prove it...But would you trade Trayce for Edey? Race for Gillis? Our backcourt for theirs? 

In terms of November basketball, what is Final Four worth is not blowing out those two programs? I don't care if they're down (say they're equivalent to middle of the pack Power 5 teams for all I care), any team in a Power 5 league that is Top 10 in KenPom and is blowing teams out from a Power 5 conference back to back in late February is going to be looked at as a Final Four contender. A lot can obviously change, but we are talking about today.

It's not...Just not grounded in reality at this point...I'm simply challenging the statement...

If Purdue isn't playing at a Final Four caliber level right now, then who is? You'd probably need to name at least 8 but probably 16 teams playing better for me to buy that it isn't at the level of a team contending for a Final Four....

I certainly didn't say we couldn't talk about it, but some of the overboard comments on them make me think the people that make them are the insecure ones...Like we should be shivering in our boots when the Mighty Boilermakers come to Bloomington...Saying they are better than we are is just not justified at this point...Are they good? Yes. Would I trade rosters with them? No way...

Who said they'd trade rosters with them?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

What makes Duke “sub-standard?” It’d be one thing if it was a close or fluky game but we mopped the floor with them. Same with Gonzaga. Small sample size of course but Purdue put on a clinic in Portland against 2 of the best programs in the country. 

• Like 1

Xavier has neutral court losses (in the same weekend) of 7pts to Duke and 4pts to Gonzaga. Beat Florida on a neutral court and lost to us by 2. 

I am confident in saying that is a good win. It's not a great win, but it's a very solid one. Start stacking THIS week! If we can beat two of UNC, Kansas, and AZ... welllllll on our way to a Top 3 seed come March. 

No more 4/5 seeds 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

What makes Duke “sub-standard?” It’d be one thing if it was a close or fluky game but we mopped the floor with them. Same with Gonzaga. Small sample size of course but Purdue put on a clinic in Portland against 2 of the best programs in the country. 

Compared to their teams of the past?

You "mopped the floor with them" because they couldn't hit open shots...

You'll get your chance to prove that you're better than IU...

Careful what you wish for, though...

• Haha 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

Compared to their teams of the past?

You "mopped the floor with them" because they couldn't hit open shots...

You'll get your chance to prove that you're better than IU...

Careful what you wish for, though...

I never made a reference to being better than IU. So we only mopped the floor because they couldn’t hit open shots? Come on now lol. Purdue’s defense is night and day better than it was last year. 

• Like 1

If we're going to discount Purdue's neutral court victories over Duke and Gonzaga, then we sure as hell better not pat ourselves on the back if we beat UNC on Wednesday.

However good Duke and Gonzaga are compared to years past, they both have looked as good or better than UNC.  And, we're playing the Heels at home.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

If we're going to discount Purdue's neutral court victories over Duke and Gonzaga, then we sure as hell better not pat ourselves on the back if we beat UNC on Wednesday.

However good Duke and Gonzaga are compared to years past, they both have looked as good or better than UNC.  And, we're playing the Heels at home.

Who's discounting them? This is what I'm talking about...they played well...But forgive me if I'm not breaking out the anointing oil just yet. 

As I said, they'll get a chance to prove themselves to US in February..

And not a soul has answered the "would you trade rosters with them?" yet...

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Who's discounting them? This is what I'm talking about...they played well...But forgive me if I'm not breaking out the anointing oil just yet. 

As I said, they'll get a chance to prove themselves to US in February..

And not a soul has answered the "would you trade rosters with them?" yet...

I'm on record in this very thread saying I liked our team better.  In fact, I said so in my first post related to this specific discussion. 

I'm just not on board with censorship of Purdue discussion. 

They are our biggest rival, and as a result, should be the 2nd most discussed program on this board.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'd love to chime in on the Auburn/Alabama piece, seeing as my dad's side of the family is from there and is split relatively down the middle between the two. I grew up and Auburn fan prior to attending IU and have been to many games at Jordan-Haire (and elsewhere, such as the National Title game) to see Auburn play. 

I absolutely do not want to be anything like the fans of either of those teams that can't show some respect to each other, and there are many on both sides that can do that. The ones that can't.... are some of the most ignorant, trashy people you'll ever come across. I would so much rather be someone who can respect and appreciate my rival (rivalry is not about hatred, I'd argue no good rivalry exists without respect though) than someone like Harvey Updike. But you go ahead and do whatever works best for you, I just know how I choose to operate and view the world. 

We can either have a race to the bottom with Purdue, or a race to the top. I personally would prefer a race to the top. 

Never said I wanted to be like those fan bases....at least the ignorant part. Respecting an opponent, and going on and on about them are two different things. The incessant fawning over PUke is nauseating.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If they're better than IU, why wouldn't you? 

I think we're all still trying to figure out who said Purdue is better then IU?

I said they've looked the most impressive, and I don't see how anyone can disagree with that? But, IU has a huge opportunity to change that over the next two weeks. 

To this point, Purdue looks Big Ten Title caliber and like a team that 'could' contend for a Final Four. 

To this point, IU looks Big Ten Title caliber and like a team that 'could' contend for a Final Four. 

Should make for a great season and a lot of excitement. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Just now, 5fouls said:

I'm on record in this very thread saying I liked our team better.  In fact, I said so in my first post related to this specific discussion. 

I'm just not on board with censorship of Purdue discussion. 

They are our biggest rival, and as a result, should be the 2nd most discussed program on this board.

I don't think anyone wants posts censored...This board has allowed Purdue fans and Illinois fans to post since I've been on it...and that's fine...Illinois has a good team this year too...

So let's get it on and see...

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't think anyone wants posts censored...This board has allowed Purdue fans and Illinois fans to post since I've been on it...and that's fine...Illinois has a good team this year too...

So let's get it on and see...

The whole premise of this discussion is based on @BGleassaying Purdue was playing like a Final Four caliber team.  People took exception to that.

By contrast, if Purdue lost to Duke and I said the looked like dog doo-doo and were the worst team in the league,  I would have received 27 likes even though it would not have been true.

That's indirect censorship.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, BGleas said:

Purdue is absolutely Final Four good. They are the most impressive Big Ten team I've seen to this point, including IU. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think we're all still trying to figure out who said Purdue is better then IU?

I said they've looked the most impressive, and I don't see how anyone can disagree with that? But, IU has a huge opportunity to change that over the next two weeks. 

To this point, Purdue looks Big Ten Title caliber and like a team that 'could' contend for a Final Four. 

To this point, IU looks Big Ten Title caliber and like a team that 'could' contend for a Final Four. 

Should make for a great season and a lot of excitement. 

Does that not insinuate they're a better team than we are? 

Look, as I said, Purdue has a good team. Better than I thought they would be...But that in no way shakes my confidence in Coach Woodson and OUR team.

And I love the rationalization about Purdue "adding by subtracting" by losing the #5 pick in the NBA draft, a 3rd team All Big 10 center, and an honorable mention All Big 10 selection, and replacing them with a freshman backcourt...

As I said, they're good...Good for them. Bring your best when you come to Bloomington...

56 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

For me UK has never been our biggest rival and has always been Purdue.

In state team 

Conference opponent 

• Like 1