'23-'24 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

3 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

He is deceptively athletic I agree …our guards are faster and longer though ….some guys just handle pressure well and can use it against you ( ie foul trouble , creating easy buckets ) I didn’t see loyer more than a  few times so I can’t swear with him but smith handles just about anything thrown at him or figures it out quickly 

But, just bother him. Make him work for everything. Take away some passing angles, always have a hand up, absolutely never fall for a shot fake, don't let him hit two in a row from deep. Things we have done to a lot of different guys in the past 40 ish games Woodson has coached. 

Make him shoot over the top of you. 

The other thing... we can't over help on him in the lane. Make him convert in the paint on his own, get Edey+Gillis off the offensive glass and make them pay on the other end by getting down the court before they have time to set up. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But, just bother him. Make him work for everything. Take away some passing angles, always have a hand up, absolutely never fall for a shot fake, don't let him hit two in a row from deep. Things we have done to a lot of different guys in the past 40 ish games Woodson has coached. 

The other thing... we can't over help on him in the lane. Make him convert in the paint on his own, get Edey+Gillis off the offensive glass and make them pay on the other end by getting down the court before they have time to set up. 

I think if Duke had to do it all over again they would have full court pressed from the beginning.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Big 12.  In truth, they are better top to bottom than the ACC anyway.

Edit: Of course, when I typed that I was still thinking in terms of Texas and Oklahoma still being in Big 12.

They'll have Houston to replace Texas. Long term might not work out but no real loss short term. BYU/Cincy/UCF vs OU seems like a decent trade off.

Edited by BruceDouglas
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

PFW won yesterday over Bluffton College, making their coach John Coffman, the winningest coach in program history. Vermont is off to a horrible start at 2-7. They usually represent their conference in the tournament. Oklahoma just handed Ole Miss their first loss, and are playing good ball. Nova looks horrible and looks like their is going to be a period of underperformance as they transition to a new coach. Speaking of the Big East, Seton Hall just got beat by powerhouse Siena, and UConn just blasted Iowa State, who gave our next opponent, UNC their first loss. Keeping it in the East, Quinnipiac is undefeated at 7-0. Finally, the state of Alabama is well represented with Auburn being undefeated, and Alabama also beating UNC.

There...plenty to discuss. 

Siena also beat Fla. St. who is like 1-6 but won't say who they play next in the ACC/Big Ten challenge.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

That’s arguably the most important thing in stopping them. I saw it with Duke and Gonzaga. They just didn’t box out (and if they did they did a terrible job at it). I don’t care how athletic you are you’re not out jumping the man on stilts. Plus it’s much easier to box them out if you don’t let them catch it 2-3 ft from the basket, give yourself some space to grab the board.

edit: they had a combined 27 off rebs in those two games

Edited by 02Hoosier
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Can you do one of these daily, touching on a new conference each day?  It might help me with my bracket come march.  

Just dont mention any team that played Purdue that week.

Go to BTB and in the college basketball thread they talk about every game played. A few of them must be retired because they stream games all day long and post about every game.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

I guess I will post this in this thread? 

Watching more womens basketball with IU being so good.... I'm 100% sold on quarters over halves. More strategy, options involved, at minimum, which I am a fan of. 

I’ve been saying that for a long time. (Im sure I’m not the only one though) first off I like how fouls reset (because teams can get in the bonus too easily and game takes too long). 5 fouls then shoot 2 shots…(I also hate one and one bonus). Like you it would offer more strategy at the end of quarters and more drama with end of quarter possessions. Like I said best is it would eliminate a media timeout and shorten the game. Could also look at losing a timeout after 2nd and 3rd quarter if they wanted to keep the media happy as it seems games get too jumbled at the end of games with all the timeout calls. I also think with sports betting is it would create a lot more betting opportunities with the natural break/transition in the game.
In the end it would make college basketball the same as all other levels of the sport…when the strongest reason to keep it the way it is is because that’s how it’s been that isn’t a good reason to me. 

The other thing is I think a full timeout should allow for the ball to advance to half court like NBA…help make for exciting endings as well…more last second options…but that’s different entirely and may just be me.

• Like 1

One of my biggest pet peeves is sending too much help in basketball. Over reacting to a driver really gets on my nerves. Not only do many college kids still lack the ability to finish at the rim at a high level but inevitably you end up sacrificing a contested 2 for a wide open 3 or your man ends up wide open in the paint for a gimme uncontested. For someone his size…i would definitely make him finish at the rim on his own bigger defender…even if he may have an angle. If he burns us he gets 2 points…good for him…at least it isn’t 3…and if it continues then well we need to adjust our defender on him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’ve been saying that for a long time. (Im sure I’m not the only one though) first off I like how fouls reset (because teams can get in the bonus too easily and game takes too long). 5 fouls then shoot 2 shots…(I also hate one and one bonus). Like you it would offer more strategy at the end of quarters and more drama with end of quarter possessions. Like I said best is it would eliminate a media timeout and shorten the game. Could also look at losing a timeout after 2nd and 3rd quarter if they wanted to keep the media happy as it seems games get too jumbled at the end of games with all the timeout calls. I also think with sports betting is it would create a lot more betting opportunities with the natural break/transition in the game.
In the end it would make college basketball the same as all other levels of the sport…when the strongest reason to keep it the way it is is because that’s how it’s been that isn’t a good reason to me. 

The other thing is I think a full timeout should allow for the ball to advance to half court like NBA…help make for exciting endings as well…more last second options…but that’s different entirely and may just be me.

It wouldn't eliminate a TV timeout because they still do it every 4 minutes. There is still 20 minutes in the half. TV will never do anything to have less commercials.

I wish they would eliminate 2 shots after 10 fps because it hasn't stop people going. I lime the pressure of the one and one over 2 shots. I hate giving a team the ball in the front court because you called a timeout. The thing is that in the NBA it isn't at the half court but we'll inside the front court. You don't get the Bruce Drew shot or Laetners shot.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It wouldn't eliminate a TV timeout because they still do it every 4 minutes. There is still 20 minutes in the half. TV will never do anything to have less commercials.

I wish they would eliminate 2 shots after 10 fps because it hasn't stop people going. I lime the pressure of the one and one over 2 shots. I hate giving a team the ball in the front court because you called a timeout. The thing is that in the NBA it isn't at the half court but we'll inside the front court. You don't get the Bruce Drew shot or Laetners shot.

You forgot to tell us that back in the early 50’s NCAA men’s basketball had quarters!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Women have one less media timeout…not sure it matters much but that’s what I read.

No but you would get more Reggie Miller off Michael Jordan moments lol…or Patrick Ewing missing a bunny moments.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

You forgot to tell us that back in the early 50’s NCAA men’s basketball had quarters!

Well than Scott should be for it lol!!! Traditionalist for the win!!

While we are at it maybe eliminate the 3pt line, disqualify freshman from playing varsity, and institute a peach basket again lol.

Edited by dgambill