'23-'24 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Why would they? Kellen Sampson has never held a head coaching job in his life. You think he'd be a plum pick for a Big 12 job?

And his Dad left Oklahoma for IU with the NCAA in hot pursuit... I'd imagine there are people still at OU that remember... 

I am pretty sure Kellen was on Capel's staff at OU?

But yeah.  Naming him HC would be a risk.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Wow....Vandy beats #6 Tenn 66-65 on a 3 pt buzzer beater and #11 Iowa St. goes down to West Virginia 76-71. Saturday's a big game in so many ways. 

Tennessee losing is definitely surprising, but West Virginia was actually a 2 or 3 point favorite vs Iowa State from what I saw. The Big 12 is absolutely brutal this year.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Why would they? Kellen Sampson has never held a head coaching job in his life. You think he'd be a plum pick for a Big 12 job?

And his Dad left Oklahoma for IU with the NCAA in hot pursuit... I'd imagine there are people still at OU that remember... 

Well he wouldn’t be the first big time assistant to get a head coaching job at a Power 5 school. Remind me who is coaching Duke and UNC? And did Indiana and Michigan not hire guys who were assistant coaches at their prior jobs?

And he worked for Oklahoma after his dad, so it didn’t bother them at one point in time. I’m not saying I would hire Kellen, but I wouldn’t dismiss him out of pocket if that’s who interests them.

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Well he wouldn’t be the first big time assistant to get a head coaching job at a Power 5 school. Remind me who is coaching Duke and UNC? And did Indiana and Michigan not hire guys who were assistant coaches at their prior jobs?

And he worked for Oklahoma after his dad, so it didn’t bother them at one point in time. I’m not saying I would hire Kellen, but I wouldn’t dismiss him out of pocket if that’s who interests them.

Both UNC and Duke hired within their "family" with guys who were groomed by their predecessors for those particular jobs. Not sure Sampson's ties to Oklahoma are quite to that level...and even less sure Hubert Davis and Jon Scheyer are the answer long term... 

I'm not sure who you're talking about at IU... Woodson? If so, he did have head coaching experience. Howard is a high profile alum/player with NBA playing and assistant coaching experience. And while Sampson is an Oklahoma alum and former player, he's not quite as high profile as Howard or Woody. 

Kellen is probably better off simply waiting for his Dad to retire and as planned take the UH job... 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Both UNC and Duke hired within their "family" with guys who were groomed by their predecessors for those particular jobs. Not sure Sampson's ties to Oklahoma are quite to that level...and even less sure Hubert Davis and Jon Scheyer are the answer long term... 

I'm not sure who you're talking about at IU... Woodson? If so, he did have head coaching experience. Howard is a high profile alum/player with NBA playing and assistant coaching experience. And while Sampson is an Oklahoma alum and former player, he's not quite as high profile as Howard or Woody. 

Kellen is probably better off simply waiting for his Dad to retire and as planned take the UH job... 

I'm not necessarily saying I would hire Sampson if I were OU, or that going to OU would be the best move for Sampson.

I am saying that his dad's past doesn't seem at all to be a disqualifier (frankly, it shouldn't be a disqualifier anywhere IMO) and there are plenty of examples of big time programs hiring assistant coaches. if you want a Big 12 example, how about Kansas hiring Roy Williams? 

If OU thinks Kellen is one of the best young minds in basketball and is ready to lead a program, they should give him a serious look. Nothing about his resume seems to be problematic at this point IMO. 

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm not necessarily saying I would hire Sampson if I were OU, or that going to OU would be the best move for Sampson.

I am saying that his dad's past doesn't seem at all to be a disqualifier (frankly, it shouldn't be a disqualifier anywhere IMO) and there are plenty of examples of big time programs hiring assistant coaches. if you want a Big 12 example, how about Kansas hiring Roy Williams? 

If OU thinks Kellen is one of the best young minds in basketball and is ready to lead a program, they should give him a serious look. Nothing about his resume seems to be problematic at this point IMO. 

Yeah, a son paying for his father's "sins" seems nonsensical.

With that being said I think OU can do a lot better.  It ain't like the Sooners are a bottom tier job.  They have been a regular on the NCAAT circuit since the early 80s.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I am saying that his dad's past doesn't seem at all to be a disqualifier

His Dad didn't care too much about the "student" part of being a student athlete. I'd make sure he understood the importance of that, and also understood it would be monitored. No, not a disqualifier, but something to be aware of. 

Personally, anyone who has ever worked for Sampson would have to be head and shoulders above any other candidate before I'd even kick the tires. I'm not a fan of Kelvin's... And if you learned how to run a program from him, I'd be skeptical. 

If OU thinks Kellen is one of the best young minds in basketball and is ready to lead a program, they should give him a serious look.

What would make them think that? I'm very wary of thinking the sons of great coaches are going to be great coaches themselves... Doesn't translate like that... Look at Pat Knight...

Edited by IUFLA

49 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

His Dad didn't care too much about the "student" part of being a student athlete. I'd make sure he understood the importance of that, and also understood it would be monitored. No, not a disqualifier, but something to be aware of. 

Personally, anyone who has ever worked for Sampson would have to be head and shoulders above any other candidate before I'd even kick the tires. I'm not a fan of Kelvin's... And if you learned how to run a program from him, I'd be skeptical. 

I get that most IU fans aren't fans of Kelvin's, but he's one of the best coaches in the country and has proven he can get almost any program into the top 10. Not sure I'd be complaining about that.

He broke rules that aren't even rules anymore.... 

49 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

What would make them think that? I'm very wary of thinking the sons of great coaches are going to be great coaches themselves... Doesn't translate like that... Look at Pat Knight...

No idea, but he played for them AFTER his dad was the coach and was recognized for what he did off the court. He coached for OU as a grad assistant and seemingly did a good job as an assistant before he worked for his dad. 

Again, not saying that is the first place I'd look, but if OU wants to give a former player a look (which is something lots of our fans seem to want, so can't really knock that as a strange desire) they could do a lot worse than him. 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

It isn't the NCAA cell phone rules that concerned me the most...

Thinking back, maybe we should have seen a problem when, at his introductory press conference when he was asked about his low graduation rates at Oklahoma, he replied, “I’ve never told a kid he can’t graduate.”

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

It isn't the NCAA cell phone rules that concerned me the most...

That's more than you're right to be bothered by the other stuff, but not everyone is going to be bothered by those things.

But going back to Kellen.... very unfair to hold him responsible for any of that. Would you want your kids held responsible for mistakes you've made? 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That's more than you're right to be bothered by the other stuff, but not everyone is going to be bothered by those things.

But going back to Kellen.... very unfair to hold him responsible for any of that. Would you want your kids held responsible for mistakes you've made? 

Anyone who's not worried that a kid on a college basketball scholarship isn't being held responsible for his end of the bargain is misguided in my opinion.

I like Mike Woodson's philosophy... I'm going to make you a better basketball player, but I'm also going to help you get an education and try to make you into a responsible man... Sampson never cared for anything you couldn't do for him off the basketball court...

And to your last question, kids live what they see. As I said, if he were under consideration, he'd know the expectations beforehand, and what the repercussions would be for not fulfilling them. 

• Like 4

I'm paraphrasing, but,

"The sins of the father are laid up his children" go back to the beginning of time, the Greeks, Shakespeare ect.  People didn't make it up for no reason. 

Is it fair, probably not but neither is the world.  

Really depends on when Kelvin plans to retire but is Houston or Oklahoma the better job?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Anyone who's not worried that a kid on a college basketball scholarship isn't being held responsible for his end of the bargain is misguided in my opinion.

I like Mike Woodson's philosophy... I'm going to make you a better basketball player, but I'm also going to help you get an education and try to make you into a responsible man... Sampson never cared for anything you couldn't do for him off the basketball court...

And to your last question, kids live what they see. As I said, if he were under consideration, he'd know the expectations beforehand, and what the repercussions would be for not fulfilling them. 

The failed classes would have taken care of themselves, and I’m assuming that’s been cleaned up or Houston would be eligible for the tournament.

Beyond that, what exactly are we talking about? I don’t live in Houston so you’re much more privy to that info than me, but what’s gone on down there that has us questioning the character of players now?

And to your last point - that’s crap and a total disservice to people who put in hard work to not be like their parents. Lots of people Kellen’s age and younger have done the hard work to be their own people. 

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The failed classes would have taken care of themselves, and I’m assuming that’s been cleaned up or Houston would be eligible for the tournament.

Beyond that, what exactly are we talking about? I don’t live in Houston so you’re much more privy to that info than me, but what’s gone on down there that has us questioning the character of players now?

And to your last point - that’s crap and a total disservice to people who put in hard work to not be like their parents. Lots of people Kellen’s age and younger have done the hard work to be their own people. 

That does it! You have been on the verge of getting ignored, but your attitude of constantly challenging other posters comments while challenging their ability to challenge yours has you now on my double secret probation list!🤣 

59 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I read that UH has had the most APR failures of any D1 college (i'll find the source, but they've not met the standard 8 times since APR started in 2011). So it sounds like Kelvin hasn't learned his lesson (and I know he's only been there since 2015)...

I'm not questioning the character of the players as much as I'm showing that Kelvin Sampson has no real interest in what those players can do for him beyond the basketball floor. He damn sure didn't at Indiana...

So your kids aren't learning anything from you? You don't think your actions are the partially a roadmap toward their adult life?

And of course people in some instances want to be different from their parents in a multitude of ways...It's not exclusive to "people Kellen’s age and younger." My father didn't really value education. He had to drop out of school at 13 to support his mother, as his father had passed away. His idea, was to get a job, work your way up the chain, and you'd be successful..That didn't work for me or overall for my generation...So, I went a different path. But.my Dad was above all an honest and moral man...I try hard to keep that part...

My point with Kellen Sampson is, he learned many things from his father, and one of them was running a D1 basketball program...Maybe he would put more emphasis on their education and growth as men...But his Dad sure didn't...and, as I said before, if he was under consideration and I was doing the hiring, he'd know the expectations, and the ramifications if he failed to meet them...