'23-'24 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

To me you're highlighting why looking at just shooting percentages doesn't come close to telling the whole story. 

If we had Al starting right now I think we have 3-5 more wins. 

I agree with you.  I love Al.  All I am saying is he found a better environment to win.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rico said:

The whole story is that Al is playing for a helluva lot better coach than Archie.  

Better coach makes Al look better? His individual offensive numbers are mediocre at best. What he brings to the defensive end and the locker room is the bigger piece I’m guessing. The team fits his shortcomings better where we were relying on him to be a scorer. 

Edited by kyhoosier29

I don't quite understand the logic here...

Our defense is one of the best in the Big 10...Al was never anything more than an adequate defender who regularly got beat off the dribble...he lacked the strength to compete with upper tier Big 10 guards...whose spot would he take? Certainly not XJs...And say what you want, but Parker Stewart is a slight upgrade on both ends of the floor...Al may have provided some depth, but not much more in my opinion

Our issue has been consistent outside shooting, and Al is shooting worse than he ever did while he was here...

I've watched a few Providence games, and I see the same Al I saw here for 4 year...does he have better teammates around him? I don't know. I do know the Big East top to bottom isn't as tough as the Big 10...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Our defense is one of the best in the Big 10...Al was never anything more than an adequate defender who regularly got beat off the dribble...he lacked the strength to compete with upper tier Big 10 guards...whose spot would he take? Certainly not XJs...And say what you want, but Parker Stewart is a slight upgrade on both ends of the floor...Al may have provided some depth, but not much more in my opinion

Our issue has been consistent outside shooting, and Al is shooting worse than he ever did while he was here...

I've watched a few Providence games, and I see the same Al I saw here for 4 year...does he have better teammates around him? I don't know. I do know the Big East top to bottom isn't as tough as the Big 10...

I think you’re underselling what taking threes and what getting into the paint does for an offense by a great deal.

Al would also be a significant upgrade as a secondary ball handler and play maker over Stewart or Kopp. Our best lineup included Phinisee before he got hurt, and it was as much about what having multiple ball handlers and playmakers on the court provided as it was about his defense (because that’s already elite).

The BE may not be the B1G, but it’s a dang good conference…

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think you’re underselling what taking threes and what getting into the paint does for an offense by a great deal.

Al would also be a significant upgrade as a secondary ball handler and play maker over Stewart or Kopp. Our best lineup included Phinisee before he got hurt, and it was as much about what having multiple ball handlers and playmakers on the court provided as it was about his defense (because that’s already elite).

The BE may not be the B1G, but it’s a dang good conference…

Stewart isn't taking 3s? He's shot 22 more than Al has this year, and more importantly made 21 more...the percentages aren't even close...

As far as going to the basket, I remember Al sprawled on the floor after throwing up a prayer and never getting the call in the Big 10...in the Big East he's apparently getting these calls as so far he's shot 73 more FTs than he did in his last year at IU...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Stewart isn't taking 3s? He's shot 22 more than Al has this year, and more importantly made 21 more...the percentages aren't even close...

As far as going to the basket, I remember Al sprawled on the floor after throwing up a prayer and never getting the call in the Big 10...in the Big East he's apparently getting these calls as so far he's shot 73 more FTs than he did in his last year at IU...

Big was too physical for Al. I agree with you completely, we’re a better team with PS. There’s a reason CMW didn’t fight to keep Al. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Stewart is a pretty one dimensional player on offense, Al isn't. Regardless of efficiency stats that is pretty clear that Al is scoring at three levels and getting to the line. That would make a world of difference for this team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

He's not a better all around offensive player, hes not a better defender, and he has been suspended 1.5 games this season. 

AL's hitting 6.1 FTs a game in conference. Thats nutty, Parker doesn't have half that impact. 

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

There’s a reason CMW didn’t fight to keep Al. 

If this is true, then maybe, just maybe, Coach Woodson miscalculated.  Say whatever you want about Al, but the below are facts:

• The team he went to was 13-13 last year and is 24-3 this year.
  • He hasn't gotten his ass suspended for 1.5 games this season
  • His PER is 13.1.  Parker Stewart's is 8.8.  Al's PER, while not strong, would be 5th best on IU behind Trayce, Race, XJ, and Geronimo (I'm not counting Duncomb).

Those are the facts.  My opinion is that we would be a better team with Al.  At the very least, he doesn't get suspended at Northwestern, we likely win that game, and we aren't sitting here worried about being on the bubble.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 6

54 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He's not a better all around offensive player, hes not a better defender, and he has been suspended 1.5 games this season. 

AL's hitting 6.1 FTs a game in conference. Thats nutty, Parker doesn't have half that impact. 

Stewart is a better 3 point shooter, and that's what a lot of you say we need, right?

And he is at the very least Al's equal on the defensive end...Metrics bear that out...

Al's FTs have gone up this year because he's getting calls he wasn't getting in the Big 10...There's no other explanation...He's only shooting 40%n from 2 and 20% from 3...Stewart certainly isn't much better from 2, but from 3, it's not even a contest...And once again, that's what people have been saying we need...

And we have no idea if Al had been here whether it'd be The Windy City 6 or not...

For those of you that think for some reason I'm hating on Al, I'm not...I said 3 years ago that if he was a starting guard for IU, we'd never sniff a Big 10 title, simply because of his physical limitations. Not hating, just the way I see it...

I appreciate the years Al did spend here, and thank him for them...But to say we'd be appreciably better with him is not an opinion I share...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Stewart is a better 3 point shooter, and that's what a lot of you say we need, right?

And he is at the very least Al's equal on the defensive end...Metrics bear that out...

Al's FTs have gone up this year because he's getting calls he wasn't getting in the Big 10...There's no other explanation...He's only shooting 40%n from 2 and 20% from 3...Stewart certainly isn't much better from 2, but from 3, it's not even a contest...And once again, that's what people have been saying we need...

And we have no idea if Al had been here whether it'd be The Windy City 6 or not...

For those of you that think for some reason I'm hating on Al, I'm not...I said 3 years ago that if he was a starting guard for IU, we'd never sniff a Big 10 title, simply because of his physical limitations. Not hating, just the way I see it...

I appreciate the years Al did spend here, and thank him for them...But to say we'd be appreciably better with him is not an opinion I share...

Well, Providence seems to be perfectly happy with our requirement that a player must be perfect to wear candy stripes.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Well, Providence seems to be perfectly happy with our requirement that a player must be perfect to wear candy stripes.

I haven't seen anyone say "perfect."

I'm an IU fan and I want us to win. Teams Al played on never even got to the tournament.

Nothing personal against the kid, we're just not going to win big with his level of talent

• Like 1