'23-'24 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

I'll just say this, IU needs more 3-level scorers and secondary ball handlers from the guard and wing spots. While not perfect players, Al Durham and Armaan Franklin bring that. 

We also need 3pt shooters and Parker Stewart brings that. I didn't know much about Stewart when he came to IU, and while at a lower level I thought anyone that puts up 18ppg from the guard/wing spot at the D1 level must have the ability to handle, break a defense down and score at all three levels, but offensively he's mostly just a shooter. 

We need more of both. I personally think we'd be better with at least one of Franklin/Durham and then Stewart being a shooter off the bench. We'd be more dynamic offensively with multiple players that can shoot, get to the mid-range and get to the basket. 

The flip side is, if you keep Durham and/or Franklin as well as Stewart, then maybe Bates never comes. We'll never know. 

The bottom line is this program needs a big skill upgrade at the guard/wing spots. We need more ball handlers and 3-level scorers. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

If this is true, then maybe, just maybe, Coach Woodson miscalculated.  Say whatever you want about Al, but the below are facts:

• The team he went to was 13-13 last year and is 24-3 this year.
  • He hasn't gotten his ass suspended for 1.5 games this season
  • His PER is 13.1.  Parker Stewart's is 8.8.  Al's PER, while not strong, would be 5th best on IU behind Trayce, Race, XJ, and Geronimo (I'm not counting Duncomb).

Those are the facts.  My opinion is that we would be a better team with Al.  At the very least, he doesn't get suspended at Northwestern, we likely win that game, and we aren't sitting here worried about being on the bubble.

Fair enough. He’s playing different competition now though. I disagree we’d be any better as a team.  However, you certainly could be right about us beating Nwestern. He would not have been suspended. 

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

No. We don't. 

Do you know that CMW attempted to keep Al? I read plenty of quotes and articles about CMW fighting to keep TJD and RT. I don’t remember a single one about Al. I guess Al could have told CMW there was no chance of him staying, but I don’t remember CMW mentioning that he would have liked to keep him. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Do you know that CMW attempted to keep Al? I read plenty of quotes and articles about CMW fighting to keep TJD and RT. I don’t remember a single one about Al. I guess Al could have told CMW there was no chance of him staying, but I don’t remember CMW mentioning that he would have liked to keep him. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Not hearing Woodson comment on it means you/we don't know what happened, not that we do know. 

59 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not hearing Woodson comment on it means you/we don't know what happened, not that we do know. 

I know, but it’s fair to speculate either way based on the info we do know. Saying “we don’t know” assumes that nobody has any idea, which we also “don’t know” is accurate. I try to not speak in absolutes like some if I don’t know something for sure or if something is an opinionated topic, so I apologize if that’s the way it came off. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I know, but it’s fair to speculate either way based on the info we do know. Saying “we don’t know” assumes that nobody has any idea, which we also “don’t know” is accurate. I try to not speak in absolutes like some if I don’t know something for sure or if something is an opinionated topic, so I apologize if that’s the way it came off. 

Gotcha! Thanks for clearing that up, I thought you were trying to speak definitively. 

I'm pretty sure the general consensus was that Durham was leaving regardless of the coaching change, etc. 

He loved IU, but was ready for a change from what I remember.  

Either way, I don't think the media representation really means anything. We heard more about TJD and Thompson because they stayed and were really big "gets" for Woodson.

Woodson spoke more on them because they stayed, were super important to get back, and he was asked about them.

The things we heard about TJD and Race I don't remember hearing reading about with Phinisee, Leal or Galloway and they stayed.  

• Like 1

Memphis is 6-1 without Emoni Bates. Always have to worry about those teams that grab a couple of highly ranked guys getting it together and becoming dangerous. I wonder if they'll try to work him back in the lineup. I thought I read that he's back with the team after going home for some type of treatment.

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Gotcha! Thanks for clearing that up, I thought you were trying to speak definitively. 

I'm pretty sure the general consensus was that Durham was leaving regardless of the coaching change, etc. 

He loved IU, but was ready for a change from what I remember.  

Either way, I don't think the media representation really means anything. We heard more about TJD and Thompson because they stayed and were really big "gets" for Woodson.

Woodson spoke more on them because they stayed, were super important to get back, and he was asked about them.

The things we heard about TJD and Race I don't remember hearing reading about with Phinisee, Leal or Galloway and they stayed.  

This article from @The Daily Hoosier pretty much says he'd decided to go at the end of last year, although he did wait to see who IU hired...

And if you remember, he did participate in Senior Day last year...

I think he was just ready for something new...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

This article from @The Daily Hoosier pretty much says he'd decided to go at the end of last year, although he did wait to see who IU hired...

And if you remember, he did participate in Senior Day last year...

I think he was just ready for something new...

Thanks for finding that. That is how I remembered it going down. 

• Like 1

My whole point on Al is when people say he can't be a starter on a championship quality team.  He absolutely can be a major contributor on a conference championship team, and he is proving that this year.  He just happened to play his first four years on a dysfunctional team with subpar coaching.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

My whole point on Al is when people say he can't be a starter on a championship quality team.  He absolutely can be a major contributor on a conference championship team, and he is proving that this year.  He just happened to play his first four years on a dysfunctional team with subpar coaching.  

A la Justin Smith?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Mine's simply an opinion...could he be a nice piece on a championship team? Sure...but his limitations, physically and as a player, make me believe that he's a complimentary player, and not an impact player along the lines @KoB2011 was saying, accounting for 3-5 more wins if he'd stayed with our current team. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Mine's simply an opinion...could he be a nice piece on a championship team? Sure...but his limitations, physically and as a player, make me believe that he's a complimentary player, and not an impact player along the lines @KoB2011 was saying, accounting for 3-5 more wins if he'd stayed with our current team. 

Yes, I believe Al could have been the difference in a number of games. I'm not sure I ever said it was an Al vs. Parker thing (not sure why it would be those two, they would have both been returning players). A three level scorer that can be a secondary ball-handler, good defender, get to the line (I think it's unfair to Al to only chalk that improvement up to differences in officiating).

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Odd stats with AD. He plays 35 minutes per game, averaging 13-3-3, but only shoots 33% overall and 21% from three. He does get to the line 7 times per game and shoots 85%

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rico said:

Meanwhile....Georgetown still sucks.

I've never really minded Ewing. Broke our Pacers hearts a few times but he seems like a good guy to me. Maybe I'm wrong on that part. I do know Georgetown will have to move on from this experiment. 1 winning season in 5 and 1 tourney appearance that was a gift.

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I've never really minded Ewing. Broke our Pacers hearts a few times but he seems like a good guy to me. Maybe I'm wrong on that part. I do know Georgetown will have to move on from this experiment. 1 winning season in 5 and 1 tourney appearance that was a gift.

Some interesting names here:

https://www.casualhoya.com/2022/2/25/22945574/georgetown-hoyas-head-coach-candidates-forbes-cooley-moser-boynton-english-grant-miller-pitino

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Couple of those I think are possible. Some of those names are wishful thinking. Ed Cooley would be a good hire for them!

Would be super unlikely for a conference champion coach to leave the program he finally built to be at the top to leave for an in conference program that is a pile of rubble.  

They do have a nice list put together though.  

• Like 2