Rutgers Post Game Thread

KDB

Here's the shot Harper hit...

Screenshot_20220303-080453.png.94476acc4b763f1dfb2427e6e63f9d0c.png

I don't think that's bad defense at all...can't foul the guy...

And going back to the confidence/culture aspect...how do you account for 2 60% FT shooters (Omoyuri and Hyatt) draining 6 in a row in the critical stages of the game?

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Other teams don't sub!!?!?! 

You are putting soooo much importance on something that's not important. 

The main problem I have with his sub pattern is that he takes out ,4 st the same time.  I think the bench players would do better if they have 3 starters in with them. I think there shouldn't ever be a time where Race and Trace are both off the court at the same time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

And going back to the confidence/culture aspect...how do you account for 2 60% FT shooters (Omoyuri and Hyatt) drawing 6 in a row in the critical stages of the game?

I think if you look at it from a different angle, they showed it last night.... he's quite a bit further away than what this picture truly shows. 

I just didn't understand why his hands were down the whole time. I'm not nearly as upset about this 3 then I am the 3 PS gave up in the first half and the miscommunication between RP and RT on a three in the first half. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

The main problem I have with his sub pattern is that he takes out ,4 st the same time.  I think the bench players would do better if they have 3 starters in with them. I think there shouldn't ever be a time where Race and Trace are both off the court at the same time.

No he doesn't. He does not take 4 guys out at once. And bench wasn't a weakness last night. It did it's job well enough. Not great, but well enough. JG was solid, we maintained while they were in there and the starters couldn't close. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Or.....

I mean it's a very cute narrative in hindsight, I don't really know what to tell you.

You've yet to come up with anything that would have gotten us better looks or better defensive assignments, just complaints. Sometimes the other team is just better than you; the game last night wasn't Pikiell vs. Woodson, it was Rutgers vs. Indiana. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think sometimes we way overcomplicate this, or sometimes act like the coach is playing a video game and can use a controller to dictate what players do. 

If Mike Woodson can't trust a 5th year senior who is one of his best and most reliable players to actually put a hand up on a last second game winning 3, then what are we even doing?

Pikell didn't draw up some masterful play. He didn't do some amazing coaching. IU got two amazing, wide open looks from its best 3pt shooter when down 3 and we made one to tie the game. 

Then we had one of our most experienced, most trustworthy players on their guy and the kid stepped up and made a clutch shot. He hit a big time shot. It's that simple. 

Yeah, but there were 39 1/2 other minutes in the game too.

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And going back to the confidence/culture aspect...how do you account for 2 60% FT shooters (Omoyuri and Hyatt) draining 6 in a row in the critical stages of the game?

THANK YOU!

Rutgers simply hit shots when they had to. We put the right guys on the line, they hit it.

We made them take a pullup three over a 6'8 defender for the win, they hit it. Maybe Race could have been a tad more in his jersey, but he couldn't foul him and he certainly couldn't afford to get beat off of the dribble. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Yeah, I don’t think Leal deserves to be in that conversation. Smart player that will knock down shots with enough opportunity. Lander, you’re absolutely correct IMO… along with MK and PS for sure. But if we’re really going to upgrade through the portal a couple more guys will have to go. Question is, will there really be very many game changers available through the portal? Enough where we’re able to get a couple of them. Outside of XJ, I can’t say any of the other portal guys have been a success, or what we need to really take the next step. 

The point isn't about specific players but the fact that space needs to be created if you are adding new guys.  That and it will not be easy or fun - I can't think of any player on the roster (that I am aware of) who is a bad apple or anything like that.

That said, yes it's true that some players will be role players or guys that won't get many minutes.  Do those guys embrace that role or are they envisioning being more integral parts of the team?

Lot's of dynamics.  As Bgleas calls it - it's not a 4-year rebuild (at least I hope not).

Edited by Zuckerkorn

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He had done that a lot this year, even last night.  He had RP, Bates. Geronimo and Durr with Stewart on the court in the first half.

Ahh.. see you said he subbed 4 in and out at the same time. Which he doesn't. Not that 4 subs (even though Stewart is a starter) were on the court together, even though they practice with each other? 

Either way. He does not sub 4 guys in, at the same time, regularly. 

Edited by btownqb

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Harper, Baker and Omoruyi played a total of 14 minutes more than TJD, XJ, and Race.  And, none of our guys were in foul trouble.

Play our guys 14 more minutes and I think we could find 4 more points.  Any disagree?

I disagree.  I think we could have found 6 more points...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Harper, Baker and Omoruyi played a total of 14 minutes more than TJD, XJ, and Race.  And, none of our guys were in foul trouble.

Play our guys 14 more minutes and I think we could find 4 more points.  Any disagree?

I dunno honestly - Race looked completely gassed at multiple points and XJ was flying all over the court and needed a break. Maybe TJD could have gone more, but Durr wasn't a problem last night. He had half of the teams blocks in his limited minuted.

I honestly don't think those three each had 5 more minutes in them last night. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think if you look at it from a different angle, they showed it last night.... he's quite a bit further away than what this picture truly shows. 

I just didn't understand why his hands were down the whole time. I'm not nearly as upset about this 3 then I am the 3 PS gave up in the first half and the miscommunication between RP and RT on a three in the first half. 

And RHJ was allowed to move with no resistance to where he wanted to spot up.  Relying on the close-out against good shooters, guys that get their own shots, is a losing strategy.

Edited by Zuckerkorn

7 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Yeah, but there were 39 1/2 other minutes in the game too.

Yup, and I've addressed that as well. We consistently got great looks all night. Kopp and Stewart weren't take poor, contested shots. 

We got them phenomenal looks all night, they need to make them and they didn't. 

It's as simple as that. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think sometimes we way overcomplicate this, or sometimes act like the coach is playing a video game and can use a controller to dictate what players do. 

If Mike Woodson can't trust a 5th year senior who is one of his best and most reliable players to actually put a hand up on a last second game winning 3, then what are we even doing?

Pikell didn't draw up some masterful play. He didn't do some amazing coaching. IU got two amazing, wide open looks from its best 3pt shooter when down 3 and we made one to tie the game. 

Then we had one of our most experienced, most trustworthy players on their guy and the kid stepped up and made a clutch shot. He hit a big time shot. It's that simple. 

True.  How many times this year have we let guys like Fatts Whatshisname, take over, especially toward the end of the game?  Worse of all is that we don't have anyone on our team that is capable of doing that.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ahh.. see you said he subbed 4 in and out at the same time. Which he doesn't. Not that 4 subs (even though Stewart is a starter) were on the court together, even though they practice with each other? 

Either way. He does not sub 4 guys in, at the same time, regularly. 

Only need a 8 man rotation and I think you should have a minimum of 2 or 3 starters on the court at all times.